I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to pick Guide Sizes
Posted by: James Reed (---.org)
Date: February 25, 2008 03:15PM

Ok, so I been reading and reading for a couple months now. I have Tom's book and read it a couple times.

I see a lot of info on guide spacing and guide types but the one thing I can't seem to find any information on is how to pick the guide sizes for a rod.

What am I missing here? I know the generalizations such as spinning rods usually have bigger guides than casting rods, but I am after why. I assume its because the spinning reels usually sit higher off the blank.

From what I read understand so far here is what I would do right now to build my rod that I am looking at .

Blank Rainshadow SU1569 -- Using Fugi Concept guides -- I would order a 16 then fill out the rest of the rod with size 12's all the way to the tip.

Am I on the right track here? What if I wasn't using concept guides?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT -- Reel will be a Penn Mag 525 if that matters at all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 03:15PM by James Reed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to pick Guide Sizes
Posted by: Mark Ganrude (---.odec.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 03:50PM

A typical set up for a 1569 would be 3 or 4 12's out on the tip section and then progress up one size for each guide moving toward the butt.

You would likely wind up with

tip , 12,12,12,12,16,20,25

If you think you need one more guide the stripper guide would be a 30, but most of the 13' surf rods I do wind up with 7 guides. The vast majority of the 13' rods that have been built for me also have 7 guides, so I consider that a good starting point.

Some guys like to use the 16's out on the tip to let the shock knot pass thru, but you will get better performance from the lighter guides, and I have yet to hang a knot up on a size 12.

Posted by: Terry Reece (---.nets.nemais.navy.mil)
Date: February 25, 2008 03:51PM

The RS1569's are my go to heavers. I chose 30, 25, 20, 16, 16, 16, and a 16 tip. You could also do 25, 20, 16, 12, 12 ,12, and 12 tip. I chose the 16's because I don't tie very small knots. I've gotten considerably better since I built the rods, and if I were to rewrap, I'd go to the second set size for weight purposes and tip recovery. I generally build the handle first, then tape the guides on and space them out after doing several static load tests. I also mount the reel I'm going to be using and watch how it angles from the top of the spool to the first of the smaller guides, 16 in this case. I use a 525 Mag on one and a Saltist 30H on the other, and they both cast like a dream. I think you'll be happy with this blank.

Date: February 25, 2008 03:54PM

meant to add this, as a general rule the tip should be the same or possibly one size larger than the smallest running guide.

If you want to see how 16's would work , you can lay one out on the tip and see if the width of the foot looks right for the width of the tip. I don't like using 16's if it means grinding down too much of the guide to fit the blank .

Posted by: Tommy Lindsay (---.sub-75-197-145.myvzw.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 04:00PM

I built a WRI Fusion using the concept system. I tie small knots, using 20lb running line and 50lb BBG shocker.

I ended up 25-20-16-12-12-12-10, 10Tip

I have not heard, nor hung a knot and have put plenny fish on the beach since building it...

Like the previous post said, your smaller guide size should be based on your knot size.

Catchemall....

Date: February 25, 2008 04:07PM

guide styles, for casting conventional gear, if your using fuji guides the bmnag or similar are what I like. The different style guides will sit higher or lower on the blank, and the higher they sit on a casting rod, the more work it is to keep the rod upright when playing a fish. You might be able to get by with one less guide with higher frames, but I typically only go to the higer frames for tournament rods, as they aren't used to fight and play fish, the high frames are a non-issue in tournament casting, and generally help to keep the line from slapping into the blank.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 07:23PM

James;
What do you plan on doing with this rod?
What type of line will you be using?
Will you be tying leaders to the line that will require the passing of knots through the guides?
Will you be holding this rod or putting it in a rod holder most ofthe time?
Bait cast or spinning rod?

Answering these questions will help identify your needs and may allow you to make adjustments in guides sizes to build a better performing rod

Just assuming you should use size twelve guides because some one else does? Is not necessarily the best way to go when it comes to gaining performance on a rod?
If all you are looking to do is copy some one else? There is nothing wrong with that.

But if you are looking to build a rod with improved performance, then you may want to make some adjustments based on what you are trying to achieve and knowing the answers to the questions above.

Posted by: James Reed (---.sal.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2008 09:35PM

Thanks for the replys from everyone.

I am more interested in learning why you should use certain guides. I was only using the 1569 as an example because it will be the first rod I build.

Steve Gardner here are the answers to your questions:

1- Launching 8 and bait as far as possible fishing in the surf of Assateague Island (MD)
2- 17lb Sufix Tri Plus
3- 50lb berkely big game (electric blue) shock leader using an albright or spider hitch to yucatan
4- This rod will be in a sand spike unless casting or reeling in that big fish
5- Casting rod (paired with Penn 525GSMAG

I based my original plan off of what looked good of the available sizes that there are. I really have no clue what others are using on this rod.

Again I am just trying to learn what different sized guides do and why I should be using certain sizes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster