I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Preliminary report
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2008 11:45PM

The bad news first - the extreme winter snowstorm that unexpectedly blanketed most of the Northeast late last week most likely shortshopped a few hundred folks who were on their way to this weekend's event. That kept us from having the kind of attendance increase I had hoped for. The good news, however, is that even with the storm, our numbers for both days was up, again. I need to wind down and we'll count tickets and registrations later this week, but our preliminary figures indicate that we had about a 7% increase over last year. Not nearly what I had hoped, but all things considered it still shows that this event is not only the largest by far, but that it's still growing.

The seminars drew extremely well. At least 6 of them had over 150 people in the room (we need larger seminar rooms for next year - no doubt about that). I'd guess the average seminar attendance was up by 30% this year over last. I do need to do a better job of showing my presenters how to best use the audio-visual equipment to everyone's advantage. Any problem in seeing or hearing was my fault, not theirs, for my failure to prepare them beter in this regard. But overall the vast majority of the comments I received on the seminars was solidly in the postive column. We had some really top notch people on board this year and they really did a fantastic job. Their efforts were certainly appreciated.

Most of the retail vendors wlll require a few days to count money and fill orders taken over the past two days. I have yet to speak to any that didn't feel that they at least covered their expenses if not turned a handsome profit. One told me about 5 hours ago that he did a full 10 times the business this year that he did last year. Many of specialty vendors, such as the Skin Shop, WoodCraft, Packard Woodwarks, etc., did very well and mentioned that they plan to return and will be better prepared for the rod building market next year. Of course, the builders benefitted as well - the prices and variety were unsurpassed by any previous event that we've held. The comments I've personally received from the builders has been overwhelmingly positive. (Many first timers said they never really thought this thing could be that all people were saying, but they've now changed their minds about that.)

After each year's event, I always look at things we didn't do well or things that might could be done differently. I believe we still have room for improvement (always will) but overall I think 95%+ of the exhibitors, vendors and attendees will give the 2008 International Custom Rod Building Exposition high marks in every category. In those areas where we might have come up lacking, we'll continue to try and improve.

Thanks to all who attended and/or displayed. I hope you had a great time. If we do it again next year it will be bigger and better, again.

Now I need some sleep.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Preliminary report
Date: February 24, 2008 11:46PM

I'll try to get some photos up later tomorrow afternoon. It was quite a spectacle at times.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 24, 2008 11:59PM

"(we need larger seminar rooms for next year - no doubt about that)"

The two words I needed to hear most right now - "NEXT YEAR"! Sure wish I could have made it. Pictures will be great.

Thanks for the report Tom.

Posted by: Marco Antonio (---.cpe.vivax.com.br)
Date: February 25, 2008 06:50AM

Congratulations, Tom and team

Marco Antonio (Brasil)

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 09:02AM

I would to say that my preliminary report would be; that the event was ASTOUNDING. I attend a lot of fishing related expos here in NC.

I usually make a lap looking at and buying the things I think will disappear quickly, and then make another lap to buy the things I missed or want to negotiate over before leaving. It normally takes me about 2 to 4 hours for the first lap and a couple more or so for the second.

Literally I started as the doors opened Sat, morning. By 2 O’clock Sunday after noon I was still looking at stuff I had not or could see earlier. Partly because it took me that long to get around, partly because I got to meet so many of the people that are part of this board and large partly because I could not get to the people or products because of the crowds.

Some examples;
Went in Robert Tigner’s (fish sticks 4 You ) both to pick up one specific guide I need to complete a project I am working on, and just could not fit in there with all the other people. Went back some time later (still Sat. morning) looking for it, while looking I over heard Robert behind me telling another customer the exact same guide I was looking for was over there. At that point I stood up and said “no there not there gone, in fact they are gone in every single color and insert type you have” To which he replied “I need to come top more of these shows”

Bob at Custom Tackle was so busy every time I went by there; I stopped buying, just picked a corner behind the guide’s shelf and just started having his help stock pile my goodies back there so we could settle up Sunday after noon when things had calmed down a little.

Sunday Morning I brought in an experiment I was working on for Tom Kirkman and a few others to see. Tom told me if I wanted, I could leave it at his booth, at which time I had to ask him were it was at? After telling me I realized I had been by it a few times and still had not seen it because of the crowds and so much going on. What was scary was that I had really been looking for the whole time I was there, because I wanted to pick up a few copies of the magazines I knew would be there! And still for all the crowds, the place looked like it could hold several thousand more because of how much space there was in the isles. I don’t know of another show that I’ve ever attended that so much room is allotted just for the people attending

Last year Billy Vivano and I met and had several conversations over the two days bouncing idea’s off each other. I was hoping and trying to do the same this year, but was able to muster only one short conversation. As I was leaving Sunday as the show was closing. I stopped by to say good by, and Billy apologized to me for not getting together. He said that he had been so busy that he had not been out of his booth all weekend and had not even been around the show to see it.

I also missed a lot of people that I was hoping to meet or had requested that we get to meet. Some because of the weather, some because crowds and partly because there was just so much to look over.

My true hope is that this event does get to keep hapening

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 09:06AM by Steve Gardner.

Date: February 25, 2008 09:15AM

The exhibitor support and rod builder interest to continue the show is there - I just need to see if my finances are. It's a very expensive event to put on and I've tried to keep booth prices and admission fees low so everyone can afford to participate. That may have left me with a shortfall on my end this year. We'll see.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 10:01AM

Tom, from my point ovf view, your expo is incredibly undervalued. I don't know about others, but I suspect they would agree. If you raised admission to $10 or $12 a day, it wouldn't deter me. Think about it, you have guys spending several hundred dollars just to get to High Point. I doubt another $2-$4 will deter them from coming. We were paying $14 a day when it was at the Charlotte Convention Center three years ago. As for booth space, I know you've said in the past that the High Point venue was cheaper than when in Charlotte.

I truly hope you can find a way to make this work for you financially, Tom. It is becoming too important an event for builders and exhibitors alike. Thanks for all your efforts putting this on. By the way, you know that I am only an hour's drive from you. If you need help with next year's event, and you think there's something I could do, just yell.

Date: February 25, 2008 10:22AM

The High Point facility is a little more than twice the price we were paying in Charlotte. It's a better value, however. I think most agree.

Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 10:27AM

I attended both days of the expo and i can say Steve Gardner report is right on. All the vendors were busy, there booths so crowded you had to wait to get close to see the merchandise they had. At (Custom Tackle), Bob was so busy, his help got my order that i had called in a couple of weeks ago. At (Sticks Sticks 4 You), they had big crowds, especially at the garbage can sale both days. I enjoyed all the seminars and i had to stand for a couple of them. I really enjoyed the seminar presented by Karen Cambell, choosing the thread color for your custom rod. I would like to thank her for helping me pick the colors for my wife's pink rod. As of Sunday afternoon Billy Vivano had not got his BBQ, maybe today. This was my second expo and i enjoyed everthing about it and hope to attend next years. Thanks Tom and keep up the great work you do to put something this big on.

Roger Rierson
Greensboro, NC

Date: February 25, 2008 10:34AM

I was worried that Karen's seminar might not appeal to very many - but she hooked me when she explained her approach to rod aesthetics. I put her on the program and even on Sunday, which typically only sees about half the number of attendees as Saturday, her seminar was standing room only.

Posted by: David Spence (204.152.2.---)
Date: February 25, 2008 12:31PM

My 2 cents-When you can buy a new rod blank for $10.00 and it only costs $8.00 to get in the door and park for free, something is askew. If you raised your price to $12.00 a head, I doubt you would lose one customer and if you did, you wouldn't want a customer like that anyway. As always Tom, you are too generous with your time, efforts and finances. This was my first show in High Point-I missed the one last year, but $8.00 seemed ridiculously low for the venue, the products and the seminars. @#$%&, I paid $5.00 for a beer at the Radisson and spent close to $500.00 at the show, got in free because I worked a booth and I still feel like a thief. Don't underprice yourself out of business. Oh, and always-thanks for all you do and it was great seeing you again!

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (66.0.6.---)
Date: February 25, 2008 02:07PM

As always for the three shows I have attended, it was a fantasitic event. There is no other place where one can see everything that is new, plus get all the training. Not just from the seminars, either; you can learn an incrediable amount just from speaking with the people in the various booths.
I too would pay more. With coffee at $2 a cup, the $8 admission is pretty low.

Posted by: Fred Staley (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: February 25, 2008 02:33PM

I too would like to thank Tom for all the effort he has put into making these shows happen. I'm someone who only builds 4 or 5 rods a year for personal use but I have never found a more enjoyable hobby (yes, I think sometimes I enjoy this more than fishing with those rods). I've learned pretty much everything that I know from either this board, Tom's book, or what I see and hear while at these shows. Although I have to admit I've learned a few things from my own screw ups :-). So I feel like I owe Tom a very big thank you.

As soon as the show is over, I actually start thinking about what I might try to pay more attention to at next year's show. And once I've finished the 4 rods I purchased at this year's show and this summer's fishing season is over, you can bet that I'll be putting together my "wish list" for next year's show. I'm sure that these shows serve to increase at least my own personal level of rod building purchases (at and between shows).

I have agree with others that I would have no problem paying more for the price of admission. With all the information that is shared and all the bargains to be had, $8 for a day seems too good to be fair. Gosh, a 2 hour movie will cost you that and I sure don't learn much at those. Plus, just avoiding shipping charges by being able to pick up a blank at the show saves you at least twice the cost of a day's admission.

So Tom, please don't let this be the last one.......

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 25, 2008 04:22PM

I was prepared to shell out over $1,100 just to drive there over two days, sleep 3 nights in the Radisson, and drive home. You might scare me away if you charge a dollar per pound of body weight to get into the event. But $8? Sheesh. It costs that much to buy a bagel and a latte.

Posted by: Robert Moffat (---.253.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 04:32PM

Tom:

This was my first show, and I hope and pray that it's not my last. As stated above the admission price is way to low. I know that you are trying to appeal to all of the people in the hobby, but lets be honest with our selves, when you consider the expense of coming to High Point, either by air or driving, your are short changing yourself. There was nothing that I was not happy with, the show, the reception, the hotel, parking, I can't find fault with anything that you and your staff did only not charge enough to get in!!

I have attended many trade shows as an exhibitor or a attendee and you have created the best of the best. Keep up the good work and any help you need I am sure all you have to do is put out the work here on this form and I am sure the help would be forthcoming.

Again I had the time of my life at High Point, met a lot of people that I have talked to on the net and networked with others who I will look forward to see again next year.

Tom lets do it again next year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Posted by: Dave D'Ambrosio (---.area1.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 25, 2008 04:58PM

Tom,

Coming from Arizona, I was glad to meet you on my way out. I have to agree that not only is the show underpriced, but I think there are those who would pay a lot more for the knowledge at this show. As we discussed, workshops would definitely be something that people would sign up for. To be able to hear people like Terry lecture on feathers and Jim on basic rodbuilding, would be infinitely better if people could then apply what they just heard in a mini-lab or workshop opportunity.
You said it best......people don't want to "mess up " their own projects and I think giving them an opportunity to "mess up" at the show would be a great idea. I personally would pay an extra $30-$50 for workshops to hone my skills under the guidance of a seasoned pro! That is even a cheap price! I am sure vendors could sponsor the equipment needed for a workshop, whatever it may be.
And most importantly, when an individual gets to try something first hand, they will immediately see how easy it can be and will want to go right over to the vendor and purchase the products to take home. The vendors could even gear show specials towards the promotion of the workshop.
Something to think about for next year................
Arizona Dave

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 05:13PM

I had a blast! I wished I could have stayed all day Sunday as well. Jim Upton's seminars were a great help to me as well as the foam core handle class. Everyone was great! The guys at Lamiglas and Seeker answered all my Noob questions as well as Jim Upton. Having never built a rod I thought I would be intimidated but, I wasn't everyone was willing to answer my questions.
I would pay 15$ dollars to get in, Up here in Pa the Sportsman shows are about that much and not filled with near as much good stuff or info. I like to thank Jim Upton, J.P Timberlake and I can't remember the other fellow ,with their seminars and shedding the light on their crafts. Also to Tom Kirkman for having this show, Good stuff!

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 05:52PM

It was another great Expo!!! But it is very much under-priced, IMO. The seminars alone are worth more. Add to that the wonderful interaction, shared ideas and help that the vendors and fellow rod builders supply. There's always great pricing on products and just tons of things to see, handle and discuss.

This was my 5th Expo and I intend to attend as long as I'm kicking.

Stan

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 25, 2008 06:24PM

Hi,

As on who has traveled around the US of A for rod building seminars, I understand the value of these shows. I have enjoyed reading the above posts and seeing how much you fellows appreciate the opportunity also. When one realistically measures the value for the buck you understand what a bargain the admission is. Now add to that the free seminars by some of the best rod designer/craftsman and lady in the country and you have a super bargain.

Yes, there are some who will complain if the price increases. Most of these people are just plain CHEAP and we will always have them floating around. They are like nats that have to be ignored.

Realistically the admission has to be increased. If the promoter loses money then the show is gone. Then what is left?

An option is to raise the admission fee and possibly have a discount if you buy tickets for both days.

Can you believe the first snow storm this winter was the day we were to fly out. Unbelieveable!!!

Am delighted to read all the posts praising the show and I am not in the least bit surprised.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 25, 2008 08:19PM

Tom.......Unfortunately I missed the show again this year.due to the wife and I couldn't get the same day for vacation.However next year is the year for sure.I'm real glad that the show went well., and that everyone enjoyed themselves.Feel bad that some was unable to make it due to the weather.It was best that they stayed put and safe.

Tom would like to put my $.02 in on the admission.I too think you are too good and you are cutting yourself short. In the long run it's going to come back and bite you.
Not to be a wise guy by all means,but you need to take a lesson from yourself. How may times has the question been ask ( What is a custom built rod worth???) Your reply would be time after time. You have to figure what you time and labor is worth, and not to cut yourself short.
So with that said.If you have to put a bigger price on the addmission go for it the people will come.Why?? Because you have proved yourself over and over. You have put the best show on for them year after year and each year it has been better.

Will they complain on higher prices???Yep !!! they will.Why???because that is what makes them happy.
With gas going up each day, does it make the people park their cars ???Not a chance!!!

People are going to spend the money on their addiction one way or the other.So Tom my friend I strongly believe that some of it should fall into your pockets. I can't wait for next years show.
I'm also hoping that when you have all your figures in,that they blow your socks off.

<<<DON>>>

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster