I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

OK, what's that new blank material at the show...:)...?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2008 12:18AM

OK, now that it's fine to spill the beans - would someone kindly share some info on the new blank material with some of us less fortunate ones who could not make the show?

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OK, what's that new blank material at the show...:)...?
Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: February 24, 2008 01:20AM

I'm with you on this one. Got to watch this thread. Sure wish I was there today.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2008 03:25AM

Carrots lol.... For some reason I thinks its all hype

Posted by: Joe Hepp (207.10.148.---)
Date: February 24, 2008 06:24AM

Don't know about any "new" blank material but I did see a blank with a solid titanium tip that felt real interesting ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Date: February 24, 2008 08:49AM

Daiwa has a lineof rods called the Cielo taht has titanium tips.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2008 08:48PM

There was not a "new blank" material for sale at the show. There was a demo blank that had a titanium tip of about 12 inches long that is still about two years out on development. That promises to elevate any problems from high sticking. You can pretty much bend it like and ugly stick.

There is a problem with the titanium that they are working with a metallurgist to correct. In that the present formula will retain some of its bend for a while after being high sticked or bent sharply while fighting a fish.

There was a new line of blanks in that Castaway is now selling blanks to the builder. Really not new, just new in that builders can now buy them
The claimed advantages being that the lower half is 43mm modulus and the upper half is 33 mm modulus. So that you will have less returns on broken rods. (I guess it was more like the Re-debuting of an older technology) to cure a perceived modern problem

Personally I'm not sure going to back materials that were developed before the newer graphites and higher modulus we use now is worth it.

There was good information on why the public is being duped by the Carrots stick adds and the implied technology that is little more then marketing hype.

I guess if having problems with those bass fishermen returning all those broken rods back to you because of their inability to use a rod properly is a concern? It may be and option you want to try them. But for me after building exclusively for bass fisherman the last twenty years, and dealing with very few returns, I have not seen a need to use a lower grade graphite that may (or may not) be heavier on the finished product. Or not perform to the standards I want on my rods. Don't get me wrong I fully intend to try a few, but I will reserve my judgments on them until I have. If I perceive any loss of sensitivity in what I already have achieved? I’ll not be using them on my stuff period.

St Croix had some new proto type blanks in the SC-V models that will be coming out later this year. Not a new material, but a retooling in the design that is supposed to eliminate some of the breakage problems they were having with that blank. I was fortunate enough to be permitted to bring one of these blanks home to try, It feels good and has an action to I really like,

I have not seen anything at the show that would switch me away form using the Batson RX8+ blanks I have been so pleased with ever since they came out.

So in that respect I was a bit disappointed, because I was expecting some “New nano technology" to be presented. The realization was that the present hype about Non technology in blanks is still just hype.

But as far as the rest of the show went?
It was awesome! I was there before the doors opened yesterday and about 2:00 O’clock just happened to run into Mr. Kirkman and he asked me what I thought. To which I pretty much replied the same thing. But as I was walking away I realized I had only been ½ way around the expo, and hadn’t even got to the other half and still thought it was awesome. In my opinion by far the best show yet!! Unfortunate that so many people got nailed by the storms and could not make it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 11:40AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2008 11:48PM

The bio-fiber revolution is real. The day of the graphite fishing rod will pass in just a few more years.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2008 12:06AM

What are the weights and comparable powers of the biofiber blanks that you have evaluated? I read in a coulple of places that these new blanks (whatever they are) were going to "so advanced they may put other blanks back in the stone ages" along with being much lighter and stronger.

Thanks. Stan

Posted by: Simon Oakley (---.sydney.spin.net.au)
Date: February 25, 2008 01:56AM

I can tell you over here in Australia in the last couple of years we have had a lot of factory rods come on the market made with the new materials (Mitsubishi Pyrofil) when you look at it under a microscope the resin and fibres are full of elastic molecules. I have a couple of factory rods here and some of them can best be described as the feel of E or S glass with the weight of carbon and some of them feel like normal carbon but they can take some mean bending. I think that the biofibre like technology is along the same lines only more advanced.
About the blanks being made with the low to mid modulus tip going into a higher modulus mid and butt section CTS has been building blanks like that for a rod company (Eric Grell) Egrell in Australia for at least the last 3 years.
[www.egrell.com.au]

Date: February 25, 2008 07:46AM

I agree with Tom I to think the "The bio-fiber revolution is real" I just didn't see it at the show.

Date: February 25, 2008 08:17AM

Nor did I, but it's being born right now and by next year, I think we'll be doing more than just "seeing" it at the event.

By the way, I brought my two bio-fiber Curran fly rods to the show and never even got them out of the tube. I was just so busy that I doubt I spent more than 30 minutes in my booth over the course of the entire weekend. That's my only regret about the event - I don't have enough time to spend talking with my customers because I'm too busy trying to keep everything else running smoothly. I hope they understand.

Date: February 25, 2008 08:24AM

Coulda sworn I read the same thing Mo said to start this thread. Who started this rumor to begin with?

Date: February 25, 2008 10:29AM

There were some new blanks at the show in the Swampland booth, but I didn't have much time to take them in.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 11:55PM

Bill Stevens put on an absolutely awesome and eye opening seminar on marketing that "kind of" exposed what's going on with this technology. I was really disappointed with the attendance of his discussion. That whole room should have been full, and I think Steve Gardner will agree with me on that point. That being said, if you'll shoot Bill an email, I'm sure he'll be happy to discuss it with you. He has reems of documentation on it. All ya gotta do is ask.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 26, 2008 02:04PM

Steve Gardner, Jim Gamble and Tom Kirkman, along with many others observed finished fishing rods at the Swamnpland Booth that claimed to utilize "Nano Technology". The literature in the booth was very clear as to how the "Nano" technology was used in the construction of the finished fishing rod. Advertising, by companies using the new technology may use words and phrases that tend to "cloud" the real issues related to present technology. Nano technology, bio fibers, Curan, Aramid, Carrot Stick, new technology, filament fiber winding, unitized blank and no telling what words and phrases will invade all areas of the blank and fishing rod business in the very near future. When you read anything be sure to read slow and carefully. The results of a very effective advertising program used at the Bass Masters Classic has significantly impacted "conventional" rod sales to bass fishermen. I guess that Bobby Knight can now go fishing for the rest of his life instead of throwing chairs at the referees for what he was paid to advertise the new technology on ESPN.

Date: February 26, 2008 04:50PM

Bill is right; I did observe completed rods that "claimed" to use "Nano Tech.”
But I did not see rods or blanks that actually possessed any “Nano tech”.

Bill is also right; in that it is amazing what you can get people to believe through the use of effective advertising.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster