I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: TOM, Wherre did the post go
Posted by: Carrington Tate (63.147.73.---)
Date: February 22, 2008 02:20PM

I think the moderators do an outstanding job on this site. Do they miss stuff? I'm sure they do. With the amount of posts, I can't see how they couldn't. Is Kevin's deleted link worth going into "Kirkman bashing mode" and putting down how he decided to run HIS business? I don't think so! Obviously, Tom has a lot on his plate. He produces a top rate trade magazine that we all drool over, puts on a rod show, and watches over this site night and day. Although he could get a lot of support for this site (me included), he has chosen to keep it "in house". That is HIS choice to make, not anyone elses.
We should respect his choice.

Obviously, this is not a career for him, it is a passion to help spread the craft of rod building. I don't know T.K, wouldn't know him if i saw him, but in the 4 yrs i have watched this forum, it is pretty darn clear to me that he tries to be as fair as possible with his enforcement of the rules. I for one wouldn't have stayed if posts like Kevin's above were the norm. Kevin, lecturing the guy on proper business practices that provided you a platform (for free) to share your technique is in bad taste. With that said, i thank you for the time you took to share your methods. That is what the board is about, and the rules in place are what keeps it sponsored and a pleasant place to visit.

Carrington Tate

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 22, 2008 02:25PM

$35,000

$25.000

7,000,000 hits in a month?

Those are all some BIG BIG numbers ....something like 9,722 hits PER HOUR EVERY hour 24hours a day!, 233,333 hits per day, 6,999999.6 per month, wow!

DR

Posted by: James Reed (---.org)
Date: February 22, 2008 03:32PM

I am not going to comment on how someone wants to run their own site that they pay for, but I will make one comment as an IT professional. Tom, you really need to look into different hosting options, as others have said it should not cost tons of money each month to run this site. Just explore your options!

Personally if this was my site, I would be running it on a couple of linux servers out of my house with a business class broadband with a static IP address. Other than the intial server costs and maybe some forum software costs, it would be about 20 bucks a year for a domain name! (and of course the cost of the cable modem/dsl and electricity)

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.pm3-3.pit-ch.pa.localnet.com)
Date: February 22, 2008 03:43PM

Stress induced..Tequila based post..disregard !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 07:07PM by Harv Gorton.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2008 03:50PM

Guys, I can't read every post - we do the best we can. If you don't like the board or the way it's run you are free to go elsewhere. There is no use busting my chops over this. I support the moderator's decision and we will continue to remove similar posts.

We also try to remove all links to @#$%& when we spot them, but again, I have a lot to do. A lot to do. I can't read every post and neither can my moderators. The rules apply to all. This is probably the one site where nobody gets favored treatment regardless of who they are (one of my top 3 advertisers, who spends thousands of dollars with me each year, nearly got booted off this board and out of the magazine recently. They found out that they couldn't get special treatment even though they spend a ton of money with me. I'm not swayed by money nor person). If you guys had an inkling of what goes on behind the scenes you'd seriously reconsider all the statements you've made. But you don't so all of this is a very mute point and is wasting bandwith. This board will continue as it has. If it's not to your liking, find another that is. There are plenty of them out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 04:00PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: February 22, 2008 03:53PM

Harv,

You're way off base here. There are 5 folks named Reed and Reid registered here on this forum. At least 2 of them post regularly. Please don't confuse them. They're not the same people.

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.pm3-3.pit-ch.pa.localnet.com)
Date: February 22, 2008 03:58PM

OK ..Thanks for clearing that up !!

Sorry !!

vacation needed...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 07:08PM by Harv Gorton.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2008 10:17PM

Thanks for all the discussion. Tom, that's helpful to me because the initial post made a lot of sense. So did your explanation to balance out the conversation. I'll note that I won't be building today were it not for this board rekindling my interest after doing my first rod many many years ago. So I feel a great appreciation for this board.

Mo

Date: February 23, 2008 07:17AM

I can't please everyone and am not naive enought to think that I can. We our best and apply the rules fairly and without bias. We miss a few posts (If someone sees an @#$%& post they might consider reporting it to us so we can remove it).

I know Kevin was trying to be helpful - I've never doubted that for a moment, but that post opened a real can of worms and an earful of complaints for me. The rules ask that you not post unsolocited advertisements for non-sponsors and that you not list prices (very good reason for that). Thus the moderator removed it.

As I said before, anyone that feels this site limits their ability to share information can certainly go elsewhere. I don't say this out of anger or by trying to be smart, only that I am never offended if some folks decide that this site isn't their cup of tea. It will never be everything to everybody and I know that. Still, all things considered, we do pretty good.

Read Dean Pertot's letter to the editor in the current issue of RodMaker. I'm convinced we're not only doing the best we can here, but doing the best we can for the greatest number of people.

Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.humboldt1.com)
Date: February 23, 2008 08:14AM

I think it's time for a laugh break...

How many board members does it take to change a light bulb?
Answer: 422.
1 to change the light bulb and post it to the board that the bulb has been changed.
4 to respond and share similar experiences.
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.
27 to point out spelling errors and grammatical errors in postings about changing light bulbs.
53 to flame the spell-checkers.
156 to write to the administrator to complain about the light bulb discussion and its inappropriateness to the board.
111 to defend the relevance of the light bulb discussion.
27 to post website addresses where one can see different examples of light bulbs.
14 to complain that the website addresses are incorrect and post correct ones.
12 to "leave the board forever" because they can't handle the light bulb controversy. (LOL)....
+16 members who complain that the bulb wattage is too low, and the 11 who think it is too high. (Add to total number)

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster