I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Diawa Steeze Rod Blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2008 01:22AM

Any thoughts or personal experience with the Diawa Steeze rod and its associated blank.

I understand that it is a properitary process used in Japan to make these blanks?

Any source for these blanks, and any experience with weight or blank characteristics?

Thanks much
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diawa Steeze Rod Blank
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: February 21, 2008 07:23AM

The SVF Compile blank is a Daiwa exclusive by the sounds of it. Don't think blanks would be available to builders.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 08:08AM

This thread explains my experiences with them.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Billy Broderick (208.66.198.---)
Date: February 21, 2008 09:07AM

steves vibronics rod method BLOWS THE DOORS OFF OF THE STEEZ.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: February 21, 2008 09:07AM

So just to clarify how you feel on these Steve, you think that the Steeze will out-perform the Loomis and Croix but not the rx8? I've not yet had the pleasure to play with any of the RX8's yet but plan on doing so this weekend at the show. I am very curious to hear what you have to say about them as I too like many bass guys try to get the best stuff that I can for myself!!

thanks,
Tom

Posted by: Billy Broderick (208.66.198.---)
Date: February 21, 2008 09:08AM

steves vibronics method BLOWS THE STEEZE AWAY PERIOD. Look into it and try it. Now that he has given you hi

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.andassoc.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 10:12AM

i didnt see where steve's links compared anything but the RX8 that he built and the steez

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 08:31PM

First I will say; that the Steez blank "might" be lighter? Being a “not through handle design it should weigh less just because its 8 to 10 inches shorter.

I am saying is that; what I build and what you or any other competent rod builder can build. Finished product can be lighter and ore sensitive then the Steez.

The one gentleman, who was praising the Steez in his other post, could have done the same.

I like, build, and own Loomis blanks. The same with St. Croix. I love the Batsons Rx8+ blanks. The Batson RX8+ was the rod I had on me when I compared it to the Steez. The Batson rod I had built was also 6 inches longer them the Steez rod, and still was noticeably lighter, and in my subjective opinion more sensitive.

Honestly after watching first hand the guides fall out of the wraps on my partners Steez rod. My opinion of the construction of them is that it @#$%&.

I feel I could take any quality blank Batson, Loomis, St Croix or an average one from wall marts, and build a rod superior product then the Steez rod

At $450.00 a pop people are paying a custom build price for a better then average mass produced rod with a good marketing campaign behind it.

To answer your question directly; NO I do not believe the Steez will out perform the St Croix or Loomis blank if built the same way.

I also believe you can build a rod superior to the Steez

PS: I Still Prefer the Batson RX8+ blanks

Date: February 21, 2008 09:39PM

Thanks for all of the feed back.

It is interesting to note that the general conclusion is that this rod is a very very high quality factory rod.
It is as good or perhaps better then most of the rods in the field. It is nice to see factories continually pushing the envelope in performance.

Thanks again.
Roger

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: February 21, 2008 11:47PM

Roger,
For these rods to be the best of the best, cat's meow, etc., you sure see alot of them for sale in the bass forums and people having guide problems mentioning them there also. Don't seem to hear the same about other Japanese high end rods so there most be a significent quality difference or something going on.

Date: February 22, 2008 12:07AM

I agree,
With the price, the quality should be out of this world. No failure of any kind is really acceptable at this price.
However, it would be interesting to get ones hand on one of these blanks and build a rod yourself, and compare it to a similar rod on one of the more conventional high end blanks.

Roger

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: February 22, 2008 09:54AM

Steve,
I appreciate the clarification that you suppleid for the comparison. I was just wanting to make sure on what you were trying to say. I have not had the chance to handle any of the Steeze rods but I have built 2 rods in the same fashing that you make yours and I have to say that they are by far the absolute lightest that I have ever had in my hand bar none!! Thank you for sharing all that you have

Date: February 23, 2008 09:39PM

I was just over at Cabelas and looked at and handled several of the Steeze rods. I do agree that they seem to be a very nice, light rod.
However, I don't know that there is a significant advantage in the assembly or finish of these rods compared to other high end rods.

One thing that I did notice, was the very very very noticable drop in the quality of cork in many of the production rods on display at the store. It seemed to be universally true that the overall quality of cork is quickly declining.

In particular, one very high end XXXX (well known high end ) rod popped out at me by the very poor quality cork on the handle. In this particular case, I would not even have rated the cork as high as A quality cork much less flor or better.

This gives further rise to the continues progression for materials for rod handles that are other than cork.

Really good cork, is simply becoming too expensive to put on nearly any rod, much less ordinary production rods.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster