I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Artistry
Posted by: Sean Walker (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 11:47PM

First, I wanted to thank TK for the article in the current issue of RodMaker on Terry Hensen. It was quite inspiring. Thanks to the writer for a well done article (I don't have the mag in front of me so I'm not sure if TK wrote it or not).

Anyway, it got me to thinking about the rods that I build. I really only build rods for myself or that I give as gifts, and I've always thought that I want function over form. I'm one of those hated bass fishermen, so I build rods that serve a particular purpose. I've never really cared much about what they look like. But I am an artist as well. There really isn't any reason for my fishing rods not to be beautiful, too.

So, I'm rethinking things these days. Not sure where this will go, but thanks for challenging my thinking.

I should add that I love to flyfish as well. I love the beauty of flyfishing, but living in Fort Worth...well, not too many mountain streams readily available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2008 11:56PM by Sean Walker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Artistry
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 12:15AM

Sean, moutain streams aren't the only ticket to good fly fishing. Waters where fish will at times hit on bugs or other smaller fish up on the surface are fly waters. Waters where fish will at times hit sinking bugs or below the surface worm, minnow imitations is also prime for fly fishing. Check with some locals..... fly guys are around, doing their thing.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 12:52AM

Hi Sean,

Like Steve said you don't need mountain streams to go flyfishing. I'm lucky to live in a state (Maine) that does have mounain streams with Trout, Salmon and other spices but I found myself liking the Ocean and small farm ponds to fly fish. You want to get your blood rolling hook into a nice large mouth Bass on a fly rod. Check the area you live in and you may find fishing spots you had over looked.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 01:25AM

Sean,

You have some prime bass fishing waters near you.

Bass on a fly rod are WAY better than trout. More of a challenge. They fight harder. A bass blowing up on a topwater fly is awe inspiring.

I went from tournament bass fisherman to almost exclusively fly rods just because it is so much more fun...

You gotta try it....

Buddy Sanders

Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.csp-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 21, 2008 08:15AM

Sean,
I've never tried it as I live near to great trout fly fishing; however, "they say" its a kick to catch Carp on a fly rod. Bob

Posted by: Sean Walker (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 21, 2008 08:45AM

I do fish on a farm pond, and occasionally with a fly rod--mostly for bream. I would love to catch largemouth on a fly, but I can't seem to make that happen. And it's hard to stick with something when I know I can catch them another way.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 21, 2008 11:37AM

A 5 lb bass on a flyrod is more fun than most trout and a 5 lb in Texas is more common than a rattle snake .......... in addition you have a whole Gulf coastline with tons of speck, redfish and other fish .......... shoot you can even catch tarpon on some of them ............

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 12:16PM

Sean,

Send me your SnailMail address and I'll send you some flies.

Go to whichever lake you like for topwater action in the spring/summer, and fish some of the topwater flies I'll send you.

You'll sell all your conventional gear....

Buddy

Posted by: Sean Walker (---.16.58.67.available.udcc.net)
Date: February 21, 2008 01:13PM

snailmail sent. Thank you for your kindness.

Of course, everyone knows, that once I'm hooked on fly bass, I'm going to have to build a new rod for bass fishing. Any recommendations?

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 10:57PM

if you live in ft worth you have quite a bit of water close by. if you dont want to try the lakes, try the trinity river. it has bass, bream, carp, and gar(which are a blast on a fly). i know its not trout, but it will be close and you should be able to find lots of underfished water.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: February 22, 2008 04:44PM

If there are any deep reservoirs in your area, that the water releases from the bottom of the lake, you might have a decent tailwater trout fishery.
Check around for fly shops or clubs near you. They can point you in the right direction...

Walt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster