I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color Preserver & ICRBE 2008
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-75-221-177.myvzw.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 07:31PM

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to let you know we are now finalizing the formula for the new ThreadMaster Color Preserver. I have posted some pics. on the photo site at:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I know so many of you have been waiting a very long time for this product, and I think you'll be very pleased. We have invested over 4 years of time and research, and quite a bit of money into developing this product. The downside has been the long wait, but the upside is that we now have a complete understanding of EXACTLY what makes Color Presrever do what it does( chemically speaking). SO far our tests show virtually perfect color retention with ANY color thread over a black blank. Additionally, this formula has been optimized for use with MAdiera Thread. Madiera is the ultimate acid test for any CP because of it's small diameter and transparency, it will show any shortcomings in a CP. Preliminary tests show no color change in various shades of pale yellow Madiera over a black blank.
The other unique thing about this CP is that for all intents and purposes it is completely bubble free, it is also very strong and VERY clear. It also has a very fast drying time, even in humid conditions. The plan is to start packaging at the beginning of MArch, and hopefully have it for sale sometime around the end of March.
Now, for those of you who are attending the ICRBE, we have a limited amount of free samples we will be giving away for free in our booth. To see some immediate, IN PERSON results, you can stop by The NERBS booth, as Billy Vivona and the boys will be using this product in their booth, as will Jim Upton and Hiro Tanaka. Also, Mike Barkley, Scott Parsons, Russ Pollack have taken part in the devolopment process of this product, and I am sure they will be happy to answer any questions you may have at the ICRBE.

For those of you who weren't aware, although Lamar will have a booth in High Point, I will not actually be there. My wife just gave birth to our first child a few weeks ago, and running off to a fishing show halfway across the country and leaving her alone,just didn't seem to be the right thing to do. So, staffing our booth on Saturday will be Timo Keil...our Distributor from Germany. Many of you may recognize Timo, as he attended last year's show in High Point. Timo is very a very knowledgeable rodbuilder, and knows our product line very well. Additionally, Jim Upton and Billy Vivona have agreed to answer any questions you may have regarding the ThreadMaster product line.

Emily and I will certainly miss seeing all of you this year. I hope everyone has a great time, be safe and as always we very much appreciate the continued support you guys have shown us over the past several years.

Best Regards,

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2008 07:43PM by Andy Dear.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color Preserver & ICRBE 2008
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: February 20, 2008 08:40PM

Congrats on the birth of your first son!!!

Having tested abotu a dozen samples of CP's Andy has sent to me, the last batch he sent me in October was VERY close to perfect. Based on tehphotos, it seems Andy has nailed it down. I have NOT seen this version of ThreadMaster Preserver, but as Andy has stated we have at least 2 Decorative Wraps done by Al Ciner which will be coated over teh course of teh weekend so builders can see how long it takes to dry, and the final result. Maybe something can be worked out where teh wraps coated with ThreadMAster Preserver can have a coat of ThreadMaster finish applied and spun at a booth.

Great job working on finding the perfect CP Andy, it has taken a long time but I annot believe the amount of research and digging and clawing to get to the bottom of the CP Mystery. I jus thope people don't come up to me asking my teh size of molecules in clear vs white CP's, cause I'm not gonna know, lol!!

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 09:12PM

I too have been fortunate to be a test person for this New CP and although I don't know exactly what formulation Andy is bringing to market the ones I have tested have given me great results. I have tested a total of 3 formulations. I will have 1 rod at the show that has Andy's CP on it, All the rest I have built using it have been sold. So stop by take a look at the rod and say hello. Scott Parsons.(Scott's Custom Rods)

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 09:12PM

I too have been fortunate to be a test person for this New CP and although I don't know exactly what formulation Andy is bringing to market the ones I have tested have given me great results. I have tested a total of 3 formulations. I will have 1 rod at the show that has Andy's CP on it, All the rest I have built using it have been sold. So stop by take a look at the rod and say hello. Scott Parsons.(Scott's Custom Rods)

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-216-69.myvzw.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 09:22PM

Scott,
The version you have been using is the same backbone resin as the one I used in the pics just posted, but with some improved working properties (quicker dry, better color retention, especially on Madiera). I think you'll like the newer version even better than the previous one I sent you. One other thing I failed to mention is that the dry film over black thread is completely clear...no haze or "snowflakes".

FYI, the test sticks seen in the picture will be in my booth in High Point.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2008 09:30PM by Andy Dear.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 09:32PM

I had the opportunity to test two of the formulas and thought they were great but it looks like the final product is even better! Worth waiting for (BTW, I tested on Madeira and it even looked good on yellow!!)

Congrats on Jackson Lamar Dear 8#.8oz
Born 01/25/08 @ 4:18pm

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: RON NIX (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 10:21PM

Andy,

Congratulations on your new Son! It is an absolutely wonderful thing, isn't it?

I'm also looking forward to your new packaged CP. I'm sure it will prove to be worth all your efforts...
Thank You.

RON.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 11:33PM

Andy - the several samples you supplied got closer and closer to where you and I discussed you wanted to go with this. I''d say I'm waiting patiently, but like the vulture in the tree, to heck with that, let's just go kill something! We, too, used the last one on a yellow-temed rod which sold quickly after we finished it - the threadword just jumped right out at you, almost irridescent, and went just perfectly with the yellow EVA grips.

Billy, since we'll be wrapping our RBI/CCR rod on Sunday (maybe even Saturday afternoon, if we're lucky with the timing), why not use some of the sample stuff on those wraps? If the winner chooses to haoiceve us finish it, we were gonna use TM anyway; if not, then he has his choice of epoxies and I guess we'll get a test of how it works with something else, if that's what he does.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 01:05AM

Hi Andy,

Congrat on the baby. It's a life change you'll love.

The results shown in your pics looks good. Is your CP a water base or solvent base product?

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-216-75.myvzw.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 10:07AM

Absolutely water based....no solvent.

Andy

Posted by: Carrington Tate (63.147.73.---)
Date: February 21, 2008 10:48AM

Andy,

Congratulations to you and your Wife on the new arrival. Not the color preserver, i'm talkin' Jackson! LOL.

Looking forward to the new color preserver, thanks for the effort.

Carrington Tate

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: February 21, 2008 12:49PM

Russ - I think it's a great idea to use ThreadMAster Preserver on that rod. If you don't have a sample to use, you can certainly swing by and pick up the sample I have, jus tmake sure you don't use more than you need, lol!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster