I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy WS Gassing?
Posted by: Jeff Leonard (---.mc.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 10:41AM

I had just put my first skin over a foam grip and coated with West System 105 resin and 207 hardener.
It is zero degrees outside and I work in my basement where the temperature is around 64. I would have to heat my home close to 80 in order to get temps in the 70's in the basement. I decided to work under a heat lamp and noticed that as the temperature began to rise bubbles started to appear in the epoxy. Is this normal or did I get the grip a little to warm? I can understand that there would be air trapped in the skin but I am concerned about the epoxy hardening and trapping bubbles.

Thanks for your help
Jeff Leonard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy WS Gassing?
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 11:11AM

I can't say since I'm not an expert but I know if you get it too hot the epoxy can boil. Also if you really whipped the epoxy when you mixed it then the heat might have just thinned it to the point where the little bubbles expanded due to the heat and were trying to get out. I mix my grip epoxy slowly just like my wrap finish epoxy and pour it out onto a large piece of aluminium foil. That way most of my bubbles release before I ever start putting the stuff on the grip.

I'm no expert on any of this stuff, just giving you my best guess.

Date: February 20, 2008 11:25AM

Ken

I was quite careful when mixing the epoxy and had no visible bubbles to begin with, even after applying the epoxy. Only after turning on the heat lamp did the gassing start. My best guess is the temp around the grip is about 80 degrees, not to hot to boil but maybe warm enough to thin allowing trapped air in the fibers to release. What ambient temps do you work in?

Thanks
Jeff Leonard

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 02:22PM

the foam core has air pockets. are you using andy's method form rodmaker or the heat shrink method? try putting the epoxy on thinner. the best method i have found is to use your finger(tricky for me right now due to an injury) and you want to wipe it on with just enough to wet the fabric. the thinner the epoxy the easier the bubbles can release. i am still experimenting with this and will go over some problems and successes in my seminar at the show. good luck

Date: February 20, 2008 03:49PM

Thanks John

I am using Andy's method and I guess I did put the epoxy on too heavy. I only wish I could make the show but I am stuck here pushing the white stuff around.

Jeff Leonard

Practice makes perfect, only if you can afford it.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 11:34PM

try a very light coat, then sand (800 grit or up) lightly, then another very light coat. if you still have a few bubbles it should only take a few very light coats to get a smooth finish. the sanding will keep it smooth and from building up too much

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster