I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji TLSG vs American Tackle NIRLF
Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 19, 2008 11:51PM

whar are your opinions on the new american tackle titan ring lock single foot fly guides (NIRLF) as opposed to the TLSG's?

are they as good, better or worse? any thoughts would help.

also, do you think they would match if used as running guides when the Fuji TATSG guides are used as stripper and transition guides?

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji TLSG vs American Tackle NIRLF
Posted by: Chase Foster (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 01:22PM

I am sure you were waiting for a less biased person to answer you, but I did want to help out (lol). Our new Titan RingLocks have been fantastic, all great reviews. Very Lightweight, yet durable. The Fuji TLSG does sit a little higher, but not much. These are very well made solid titanium, high end guides, that work out to be less expensive than their Fuji counterparts.

I compared the Fuji TATSG with the Titan RingLocks, and they are pretty close in color. The Fuji is a little bit lighter, but I think they would work fine together.

Chase Foster
American Tackle
www.americantackle.us

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 01:42PM

Hi Tom,

I wanted to jump in here, I know you want opinions from builders but these guides are pretty new and they have not been widely distributed yet. They have been field tested for some time and we have sold quite a few but I see we have no comments yet so I am going to. Obviously my comments are overwelmingly positive, but not just because I want to sell them but because I believe in the product so much. It is easy to believe in when there are so many positive attributes with absolutely no negative drawbacks. These products are truely something we are proud of.

Here are some differences in the products:
- The ring height on some models is slightly higher so finish won't coat the guide ring and the line won't fall directly on the blank.
- The feet have a slight arrow shape to secure into wraps better without distorting the thread alignment creating gaps.
- Pre-ground feet
- Slightly lighter in weight
- Nanolite rings are every bit as good as SiC and less suseptible to fracture.
- Price is certainly lower

Hopefully somebody that has used them can comment as well but I hope you decide to try a set to see for your self.

Respectfully,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 01:53PM

Darrin,
When can we expect to see them available in Single foot spin guides??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 08:53PM

Hey Tom, I've used my fair share of TLSG guides, and they are great guides. But after using the AMTAK NIRLF guides, I will rarely ever use the Fuji TLSG's again. Price aside, the AMTAK's offer other features that I think are a plus for anyone. The first is the guide foot shape, I like that fact that I don't have to rely on any "locking" wrap to keep the guide from being pulled off the rod. This is due to the slightly narrower taper just before your wrap reaches the guide leg, the thread would have to break for the guide to slip through. With the shape to the foot, your wraps are very smooth, and require minimal finish to cover them. You will also find you'll have no "mysterious gaps" open up after you do a final guide alignment. Additionally, these are the first guides with a ring height that makes sense, not too low, and not too high. We all know how the lower ring height helps keeps torque on the blank down, but on the Fuji's it's so low, that finish can creep it's way right into the guide ring. Plus with the AMTAK's, you can actually do a guide lay-out to keep the line from contacting the blank. The progression of drop between the guide sizes is uniform, which attributes to a smooth "flow" for your line, and your eyes, all without the need for a special bridge guide. These guides are plenty strong, and are of great quality.

Although the TATSG guides are a little more shiny and Silvery, the difference is extremely minimal. I have some Fuji's that are a dead match in color to the Titans.

Now with all that being said, did I mention the price? Try the AMTAK's, you won't be sorry!

Best of luck,
Bruce

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2008 01:30AM

I've some on order. Can't wait to compare them to the TLSG which is currently, by far the best in my book. Pricey though. So, if the NIRLF can just meet what I look for in the TLSG, I'd be very very happy.

Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2008 01:30AM by Mo Yang.

Date: February 21, 2008 01:43AM

awesome i will definetly try them out on my next build.

Thanks a lot guys

Date: February 21, 2008 01:53AM

QUESTION!

i looked on mudhole and i noticed the NIRLF comes in a size 10, i am currently getting prepared to order materials for my next rod a 2-4kg spin stick and possibly ordering double parts to rebuild a 1-2kg spin stick.

so my question is,

are the 10 size NIRLF's high enough to use as a trandition guide ie

TATSG 20, NIRLF 10 then running NIRLF 5's

would that be alright to use on a 7 foot ultralight spin stick

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: February 21, 2008 01:32PM

Tom, I don't think the size 10 fly guide will be tall enough. Try TATSG 20, 12, 8L, then your NIRLF5's out to the tip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster