I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with epoxies, etc shipping
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: February 19, 2008 07:06PM

As many of you know, I'm in the military stationed in Japan. I am having the hardest time ordering some of the items I need because no one wants to ship outside the U.S.

Right now I'm trying to order:
West Systems 207 epoxy/105 Hardener
Helmsman Spar Urethane spray cans
Expanding Foam for handles in either 6 or 8lb
Petit Easypoxy paint for my boat

I've tried every website from Ace Hardware to USComposites. No one will ship to my FPO/AP address because the items would have to be shipped via USPS. I've tried shipping via FedEx to my Japanese address, willing to pay a high shipping rate to receive them, but then I get E-mail back saying the company will not ship Hazmat outside the U.S. and my order is cancelled. I don't care if it gets put on a ship and arrives in a month or two.

So how do I go about getting these items? I'm about out of ideas. The quantity is too much to try to ship to my sister and have her mail out here, I'm sure the post office wouldn't approve. I know I'm not the only one who lives outside the U.S. who has had these problems, does anyone have any ideas or does anyone know where to purchase these items in Japan?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with epoxies, etc shipping
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 19, 2008 07:41PM

Phil this may not be much help right now, but during Vietnam the best friend we ever made was our supply clerk.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 19, 2008 08:45PM

Phil try Mud Hole or Anglers Workshop. I believe they ship overseas. The problem may because you have an APO address.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 19, 2008 08:48PM

Just a add on I believe there are builders from Japan who make posts on this site. Just make a post for someone from Japan.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2008 08:56PM

Phil,

If USPS doesn't have any restrictions on the materials going to your APO, but the vendors won't use USPS, we can forward them on to you. In other words, if the vendor only uses UPS and won't ship overseas, you could ship it to us and we can forward it via USPS to your APO.

We're about to head to High Point, but will be back early next week if you want to try and put that together.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: February 19, 2008 09:18PM

Glade You chimed in Mark You are the man of the hour for this serviceman.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: vance corbett (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2008 09:29PM

Phil... I was stationed at Yokosuka '83-'85... and spent an additional eight years on Okinawa... I know your frustration level is HIGH! WEST has a Japan contact number and they will probably work with you to get what you need (0066-33-801108). I maintained an inventory of 36 inflatable and rigid-hulled inflatable (RHIB) boats + 70 outboard motors on Oki and had to buy most supplies from local vendors or the Zodiac folks in Tokyo. The Helmsman Spar products (or the equivalent) should be available in Japan. Check Yokohama Bayside Marina:045-776-7590 (right by Yamashita Park on the waterfront.) Hope this helps. Best Regards & Good Luck, Vance

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (---.gw.smartbro.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 12:11AM

I have the same problem in the Philippines-even Flexcoat would not ship to my company here-I think HASMAT is short for Hassles in shipping. I havent got round it yet apart from friends bringing it back from abroad in their luggage. I would appreciate some halp here too, as I will be needing a few gallons shortly !!!

Posted by: RON NIX (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 12:12AM

Phil-

I can't think of anything I can do about your situation. If you can think of anything I can do, or help out with, just let me know. My brother just moved to Yokosuka; I'll run it by him, see if he has any ideas. It is great of Mark Griffin to pick up the ball and run with it... But then, he's just that kind of guy...
RON.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: February 20, 2008 01:22AM

Wow, much bigger group of replies than I expected, especially with people being busy getting ready for the show. Tim- Supply not much of a help as hazmat requires a lot of paperwork and special storage anymore for the Navy. Bob- The only other builder I know of that frequents this site from Japan is Hiro, both me and my wife have E-mail him in the past but not received any responses.

Mark- Looks like the Hazmat shipped via USPS has to labeled as "ORMD" and can not be shipped overseas. I do appreciate the offer though, you've definitely helped me out in the past.

Vance, small world. Good point about Yokohama marina, not very far away from Yokosuka at all but very expensive. Will check them out for the spar. Worst case scenario- it looks like if I can get the West stuff locally and spar urethane from Bayside, I'll just have to resort to buying only pre-made foam. Takes away the benefit of being able to mold my own handles and arbors though. Boat paint is available locally, but pricey.

Ron- if your brother wants to get out fishing while he's in Yoko, have him look me up. I'll get him out if I'm ever home long enough.

I'll get ahold of UPS and FEDEX online and see what they offer for shipping.... maybe I've been going about this wrong, dealing with the stores more than the actually people doing the shipping.
Phil

Posted by: Rick Burton (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 12:50PM

Hello, new here, but work in the shipping business. Have you tried contacting Fed Ex directly and getting your own account and just have the place your buying from pack it up, and then ship it under your account? I also think there is a place on the FedEx airway bill you can use a credit card to bill to. HazMat is nasty stuff, and no one knows all the rules, even the people shipping it. That's what makes people not want to deal with it. Call the carrier(Fed-Ex, UPS, or maybe try DHL) and ask them what you need and they will tell you exactly what you need to ship it, or transfer you to someone who does. They want business, the freight business is weak right now. You may also want to try a freight forwarder who can do LCL, Less than Container load. That would be the proverbial slow boat to China, but it may be cheaper. Hope this helps, I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions after I get back from the Show this weekend, although a lot of my newbie questions get answered here before I ask them and the more I read the more I pick up.

Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster