I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

101 Reasons
Posted by: James Reid (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 19, 2008 05:01PM

101 Reasons why the International Custom Rod Builders Expo is the BEST thing in the entire custom rod building universe for anyone who really enjoys custom rod building.

1. The largest rod building event in the world.
2. The most rod blanks on display anywhere in one place.
3. The most rod building components anywhere in one place.
4. The BEST PRICES on rod building “stuff” anywhere in the world.
5. The most dealers anywhere in one place.
6. The most manufacturers anywhere in one place.
7. The best rod building seminars of any rod building event.
8. The best custom rod builders in the world.
9. The best custom rods in the world on display.
10. Free stuff from Batson Ent.
11. Free stuff from Swifty Mfg.
12. Drawing for free kayak.
13. Free samples from Trondak U40.
14. Carpeted floor in exhibit hall keeps feet from hurting after walking all day.
15. Free parking.
16. The MOST custom rod builders under one roof anywhere at one time.
17. The MOST rod building information shared anywhere [see item #16]
18. The BEST rod building information shared anywhere [see item #17]
19. WIDE AISLES!
20. PA system and large screen TV in seminar rooms.
21. Not having to leave the hall to attend seminars.
22. Jim Upton.
23. Cleanest restrooms in US.
24. 3 restrooms on hall floor so no waiting.
25. Rodmaker Reception.
26. Tons of free door prizes [see #25]
27. Free food [see #25]
28. Ralph O’Quinn
29. Custom rods.
30. More custom rods.
31. Special secret things in the Swampland booth.
32. PA announcements just before each demo so I don’t miss any seminars.
33. Dr. Hanneman.
34. High ceilings so I don’t break rod tips when looking at blanks.
35. Trash can specials.
36. Woodworking stuff.
37. Hiro Tanaka
38. Antique rod component display.
39. Rich Forhan
40. Social area in hall for informal “bull” sessions.
41. Radisson lounge and lobby for night time “bull” sessions.
42. Nobody charging you extra for raffle tickets.
43. Roger Seiders
44. On site packing and shipping of purchases.
45. More rod building lathes, jigs, tools than anywhere else.
46. More rod building knowledge in one place than anywhere else.
47. Everyone is willing to share information [see #46].
48. You don’t have to join anything to attend.
49. The most information, the most stuff, the best seminars, for the least amount of money possible.
50. The most new rod building product introductions of anywhere.
51. The most rod building product demos of anywhere.
52. Bamboo rod building demo
53. A lousy $8 covers all the above.

I’d keep going but this is all the time I have. Feel free to keep going. I feel sure we can hit 101.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 101 Reasons
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2008 05:16PM

The hardest working honest person in the entire world. - she sweeps the floor all day long and returns lost diamond rings to the rightful owner with a smile on her face!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2008 07:18PM

And she constantly cleaned up after Ken Preston while he was stripping the bamboo surf rod I sold him. She also was the most efficient window ironer I`ve ever seen!!

54. The NERBS
55 . Bill Stevens Humor.
56. Dont forget Tom Kirkman
57. Cork!!!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bill Napier (---.)
Date: February 20, 2008 10:23AM

58- The Showplace!!!!!!! Best location and nicest convention center possible.
59- Being able to see all the major epoxy makers and suppliers on the same day.
60- Being able to compare ALL the better rod lathes on the same day.
61- David Boyle and Visual Wrap. Be nice to see the inventor demo it in person.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 11:19AM

I read this last night and was thinking about it on my way in to work this AM. One thing that occurs to me and would seem to be significant is that this is the one place where you can meet and talk to the very people who actually created most of the more popular techiques in modern rod building. I thought of Dave Boyle and his Visualwrap software, and now Visualweave. Isn't Ralph O'Quinn a guy who actually formulates epoxy instead of just selling it? Dr. Hanneman invented the Common Cents Method of rod measurement, did he not? Billy Vivona and Jim Upton both have out the most modern and in depth decorative thread books right now, do they not? Isn't Rich Forhan the guy that all the major rod companies are talking to and borrowing his rod ideas for their production rods lately? The guy who makes the Renzetti lathe is actually going to be at the show, is he not? I know Tom Kirkman will be there and he's introduced plenty of his own stuff over the years. I've always wanted to talk to Roger Seiders about Flex Coat. He'll be there, I guess?

I know I'm missing a lot of other people and apologize for that. My point is only that I can't think of any other place or time where you could meet so many of the people who invented or brought to light so many of the rod building techniques that are all the rage today. I don't know how to put a price on that but it's worth a lot more than my travel expenses and eight dollars to get inside the door. I only wish the show was longer than two days. I don't think I can get everything done in that time period.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2008 01:12PM

A 3-day affair at the Showplace would cost me an additional $7500 to $8000 on top of what I'm already paying now. I'm not sure the exhibitors would be willing to pay a much higher booth fee in order to offset the cost. At least not against what 1 additional day (a Friday) of sales might do for them. It's something we look at each year but so far haven't been able to justify such a thing financially.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster