I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

variagated guide wrap
Posted by: Daniel Burney (---.31.172.72.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 06:28PM

Is there an easy way to wrap 2 colors(red black) that alternate from the start of the wrap? Please enlighten me lol. I thought about adding in the black after 1 round of the red, but there wouldnt be much holding the black down and it would come out probably during cp application.
I also thought about having 5 wraps of red on each end making the addin easy, but thats really not what im lookin for.
again, not what im shootin for, I tried starting 5 red then adding in the black, and end it alternating red black, but it makes it a lil trashy trying to pull 2 tags under.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: variagated guide wrap
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: February 18, 2008 06:50PM

You can start and wrap both threads at the same time, but it is very fiddly indeed. That way you don't have to worry about threads puling out until it is time to pull the tags through at the end of the wrap. As for a trashy pull down, try putting in two tie-off loops side by side, and do the red and black one after the other, so that they don't come out at the same spot. Again, quite fiddly.

Or look for red/black variegated thread. What you will get from two threads is a spiral "barber pole" pattern in the wrap, albeit quite close together.

Good luck.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 07:05PM

Or you can switch things up a notch and do what I call a "wacky wrap" and use a black magic marker to put bands on a spool of your favorite red thread.....Old school but still an attractive alternative to the norm.

Or you can wrap with black....splice in your red thread and wrap them together, then drop out the black and finish the wrap with the red....It takes a thread carriage hat handles two spools and two tension devices but it is an attractive wrap.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: February 19, 2008 01:01AM

There are a couple of brands of black & red (or red & black) available. I'll look to see if I have one in our stuff and bring it to the show if we do. But these are "standard" patterns, perfectly regular and closely woven, so they may not be what you had in mind.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Daniel Burney (---.227.91.75.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 19, 2008 12:02PM

Thanks all for the help. Starting 2 threads at the same time gave me just what I wanted. My homemade wrapping setup can accomodate 2 spools of thread, so it wasnt too difficult. Ive wrapped one foot on the #1 guide sofar to see how it will look, and i'm happy with it. the red with black gives it an illusion of a marroon or rust color. Ill try n post a picture of it later. which brings up another question:

how do I post a link in a message here to the photo i put in my gallery?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 19, 2008 01:44PM

To post a link, Just open the pic on the photo page and highlight the URL (address in the address box of the browser) rightclick on it and click on compy Go to your post, place the cursor where you want the link and clock paste. It will appear as a link when you post it You can insert any link that way.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Daniel Burney (---.29.172.72.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 27, 2008 04:02PM

finished this rod. it wasnt too difficult to start both threads at same time(thanks for tip Ted). was a lil challenging keeping the threads from wrapping over each other. May as well have just wrapped a single color than trying this. the alternating colors are so close together, the red and black together looks almost maroon or rust. would work better using more contrasting colors, or maybe one mettallic and one regular. maybe would work better using ncp thread? the cp really darkened the appearance. heres picture of the guide wrap. need to make pic larger to really see the threads. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster