I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: JigNPig rod suggestions
Posted by: Doug Blacklock (---.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 19, 2008 04:44PM

ALEX , sent you a email

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2008 06:30PM

Steve,
I have not built any spiral wrapped rods but I do get quite a few rods back each year that are broken but as I said I do not think that I have ever gotten one back that was broken because the guides were conventionally wrapped instead of spiral wrapped. In fact, I am not positive about this but I do not think that I have ever gotten a rod back that I thought was broken due to torque.
By the way, hundreds or even thousands of hook sets will not by itself nessarily increase rod breakage. At least not most graphite rods. Carbon fiber does not fatique, at least not in our life times, and the fiberglass scrim in most rods is not load bearing and is not under the high stress during a hook set that would result in fatigue.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: February 19, 2008 08:03PM

Heavy pound test braid, that is more than the rod is rated for, along with drags that get cranked all the way down and over-powering hook-sets, seem to be one of the main cause of breakage that I find with a large majority of bass fisherman these days. As a custom rod builder, you have to warn the fisherman, that if he chooses to fish this way, you cannot build rods for him. I don't care whose brand of blanks you use, they cannot withstand these type of situations that bass fisherman are using the rods. Bottom Line!!

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2008 09:43PM

Bob,
I completely agree. The vast majority of rods get broken for two main reasons that have nothing to do with guide location. They are broken due to impact or being over stressed. The over stressing is often the result of "high sticking" but can also be due, as you point out, to the rod being over lined with a braided line. The braided line at any pound test makes the problem of over stressing the rod a bigger problem because they have virtually no stretch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2008 11:15PM by Emory Harry.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2008 10:41PM

IGFA tested 10# braided line and found that almost all the popular lines broke between 23-26# whether wet or dry. Think about it ... this is well over the line rating of most freshwater/inshore spinning and casting rods - only the most durable can handle those numbers.

Now here is the REAL rub ... these guys don't use 10# test. I am LUCKY to get them to back down to 30-40# braid, most use 50-65# braid. I school them on keeping the drag loose AND having a knife near in the event that the reel locks down, etc. Instead they reach into the pocket for a pair of pliers and lock the drag at full force intentionally.

Let's face it ... braided line is a warranty nightmare. Most factories have been tightening their replacement policies. Thankfully, over the counter exchange is almost gone. Now if we could just rid ourselves of the "no fault" warranties still out there - the world would be a better place.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 07:02AM

I had a wreck last week and tore up my truck. When I went to the dealer who buys rods from me I told him I wanted a new replacement - he just laughed. He did not laugh yesterday when he came in with a three year old popping rod and asked for a new one. I repaid the favor and laughed at him - he left in a huff and I hope never to return.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: February 20, 2008 10:59AM

All this being said, if you feel comfortable pitching with a 7’6” rod the IFS904 is a very tough blank. I use 50lb braid on mine for deep Carolina Rigging, I don’t use a “cross their eyes” hookset, but sometimes it takes a significant yank to get the weight through the rocks. A few months ago we were fishing a tournament and after I made a cast my partner caught a fish. I sat my rod down to net the fish, when I picked it back up I noticed the line was wrapped around the second guide from the tip. At exactly the same time my partner kicks the trolling motor to high bypass and my 1oz tungsten weight wedges into the rocks. When the guide popped off it sounded like a .22 going off. The rod was fine, I wrapped a new guide on and still use it today.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster