I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Renzetti turning motor
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2008 01:12PM

Why use the Renzitti for cork turning?
Why not use a lathe that has the power and set up to take care of this with no problem.

Otherwise, use a 1/3 or 1/2 hp electric motor to spin the rod.

Several folks that I know - including myself use either 1750 rpm or 3600 rpm 1/4, 1/3, or 1/2 hp motors to spin their blanks when turning handles on the blank.

I use a 1/2 hp 3600 rpm buffer motor with a 1/2 - 20 keyless chuck mounted on the end of the motor. I chuck in a solid piece of fiberglass, or steel rod, insert it into the end of the blank, mount the blank in the lathe ball bearing steady rests, and go to work shaping the handle. The motor runs as cool as can be for as long and as many rods as necessary.

Turning and sanding cork is tough work. Especially, when you cut through the glue line on a glued up cork handle, the lathe gets a work out. Use a motor that is properly sized to handle the load.

Your experience dictates that the motor is not sized correctly to handle the loads that you are imposing on the lathe.

Another thing - by using the chuck mounted directly on the end of the motor, you eliminate all of the belts, all of the extra bearings, and any extra noise. Also, it is a very simple setup.

If you have any questions, drop me an e-mail --- hflier@comcast.net

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: February 19, 2008 01:46PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I knew I should have bought the extended warranty with the last motor I but, like usual, I took the cheap way out and it cost me more money now, which is the same reason I'm not opting to drop the $180 on the motor Renzetti sells.

Roger, are you rigging the motor to the head stock or going straight to the blank. Also I would think that sliding a blank over a metal rod would not give enough resistance for turning.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2008 04:19PM

I'm guessing I've wrapped some 2 thousand rods on mine, repaired (wrapped 1 or 2 guides) on another 20,000 rods, turned hundreds and hundreds of cork and EVA grips, and all on the same motor.

I know at least 5 other rod builders close by that have also been using their Renzetti's for the last 10 to 15 years and not a one to my knowledge has yet to have to replace a motor.

Something is wrong here, just not sure what it is. I do know that the pulleys in the photo provided are different than what was supplied up until a few years ago.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster