I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Renzetti turning motor
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: February 18, 2008 10:02AM

After burning up 2 of the Dayton 1/10 HP motors, I want to have a motor dedicated to turning grips on my Renzetti. $180 is not in the budget right now for the Renzetti motor.

[www.renzetti.com]

Has anyone successfully rigged a motor, like a drill, to their lathe. I'd prefer to not get a mini lathe as I turn some of my grips on the blank.

Also, is their an alternative for a wrapping motor that doesn't cost $80 a pop like the Dayton's?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Renzetti turning motor
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2008 10:29AM

My buddy and I rigged a drill to his renzetti. We just used those flexable pipe clamps to hold it down. We cut the shaft off his burned motor and just used it in the chuck with the original pulley. He uses it with the dayton foot pedal rated at 6amps. This is the only foot pedal can hold a drill without burning itself up.

Posted by: mike arnold (---.mannford.ok.mbo.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 10:30AM

Hey Scott try the one on @#$%&. I got one and have had no problems.$25.00

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2008 10:31AM by mike arnold.

Date: February 18, 2008 10:37AM

My buddy and I rigged a drill to his renzetti. We just used those flexable pipe clamps to hold it down. We cut the shaft off his burned motor and just used it in the chuck with the original pulley. He uses it with the dayton foot pedal rated at 6amps. This is the only foot pedal can hold a drill without burning itself up.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2008 10:58AM

I cannot imagine burning up those 1/10 HP motors. Something is wrong - those are very, very tough motors. What are you doing with them? Mine are nearly 20 years old and going strong.

Keep in mind that the Renzetti is not a wood lathe and is not intended for heavy duty turning of hard woods and such. For turning EVA and cork, and light wood, those motors will last for years and years.

Date: February 18, 2008 11:03AM

Thanks for the quick reply's. Mike I tried searching @#$%& for renzetti motor and came up with nothing, which are you using? It looks like it needs a 1/4" shaft for the pulley, I can't find one large enough with the smaller shaft.

Henry I like the drill idea, I have the foot pedal that came with the Renzetti, not sure if it is the 6 amp, here it is on their website

[www.renzetti.com]

Also how did you mount the drill so the pulley's lined up correctly? Is there a specific drill I should be looking for that is compatible with the pedal?

Date: February 18, 2008 11:07AM

Tom, thanks for the reply also. I did a search first and saw a post where you said the same thing.

The first one burnt up while I was trying to use a rasp on some cork which might be to much for the little motor and the second was using the drywall screen on EVA. Both times smoke came from the motor and both still work but not that well at slow speeds.

Date: February 18, 2008 12:20PM

Henry, you wouldn't happen to have a pic of the setup, would you?

Date: February 18, 2008 01:07PM

Scott,

What pulley set up are you using. I have a hunch about something.

Date: February 18, 2008 01:13PM

I'm not sure of which pulley (small, med, lg) I am using, but the setup is the normal Renzetti pulley system like the one pictured here

[www.renzetti.com]

Which pulley should I be using?

Date: February 18, 2008 02:54PM

The belt should be on the smallest motor pulley rung and largest headstock pulley rung.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 04:55PM

A thought that may help along with Tom's suggestion...I bought one of the more solid type motor set ups now sold by Renzetti and had nothing but problems...I went back to the original hinge type mounted on the headstock with the belt running over the two pulleys {per Tom's suggestion of small to motor pulley and large to headstock} I have never lost a motor in 30 plus years and I ream cork constantly , along with shaping EVA and cork. It will not bog down if it comes under a load like the solid mount has done to me because it will "bounce" on the hinge and at times the "bounce" has caused the belt to come off the pulleys and letting the motor "freewheel"....hense no burnouts

A caution....if you burn out the Daytons {which are the very best } and go to the cheapies they will burnout alot faster on you...an old adage "you pay for what you get"

At one time I ran a quarter and also a half horse motor using the same pulleys but a longer belt that was solid mounted....a bit scarry until I a electrician friend of mine made them varible speed and foot controlled....to me it was doing the things I expected it to do...but still scarry...used the motors for other things and bought a mini lathe.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Date: February 18, 2008 05:05PM

I'm wondering what pulley sizes Andy is supplying with those now. I'm having dinner with him on Thursday night and plan to ask. Mine have about a 6 to 1 reduction. Much less and I suspect that you're putting one heck of a lot of strain on the motor. These motors shouldn't be burning out and I'm thinking somebody at Renzetti has changed the pulley sizes. Or... you may have your belt on the wrong pulley rungs. I need to ask him about this. I'll make sure he's aware of your problem with these motors.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.sub-75-193-219.myvzw.com)
Date: February 18, 2008 06:45PM

Tom and others, I have a question. How many rods are you guys building a year? I am on another motor since my post a few months ago, and all was fine until we got an order for a set of 50's and 80's. When I was finished the very first underwrap on a 80, the familiar scent of burnt resin once again filled the air.

I would put out the option that Grainger offered a 2 year extended warrenty when I got one there a few months ago. I chuckled to myself and gladly plunked down the 27.99 for the extended warrenty. You guys might consider that as a viable option.

Kevin Knox

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 07:11PM

Kevin....30 plus years of building rods and too numerous to mention the amounts [has to be in the thousands] and NEVER have I had to replace a motor on my Clemens {Renzetti} of which I was one of the first to purchase one from Dale. I still have my back up that I bought as a "just in case" from Graingers getting dustier by the year.

Scott....Why not do what Kevin did and if that sucker goes bad on you make sure you have that warranty and for $28.00 it sure beats getting one of those question marks from E Bay at $25.00 {was shipping included?}
OR.....if you are still set on using a drill get a stand {solid} for it and a flexible attachment to run to the rear of your index head which has a hole in it that can easily be adapted to the flex line. I used a dryer motor in the same way many years ago and it still works to this day.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Date: February 18, 2008 10:34PM

When I was actively involved in the rod building and repair business, I guess I was building about 100 rods per year and repairing perhaps 2500 rods per year. I did this for some 15 years with just the one machine. I did one heck of a lot turning, grinding and wrapping on my original unit with that motor, a 1/15 HP no less, and it's still in perfect condition save for a lot of scratches and dings on the case. I often "smoked" the foot control, but after cooling it always came back. Later on I got the solid state foot control and that took care of that problem. But the motor always got the job done and to be honest, I asked more of it than it was designed for. And yet, never burned it up. Nor have I damaged the 2 1/10 HP motors that I have now.

Posted by: Charlie Roberts (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 18, 2008 11:37PM

Scott

Renzetti sells a turning motor that works well for heavy turning although you have to watch the temp of the motor while you are turning. I use 18 inch hapalon foregrips and 10.5 rear hapalon grips with extensive reshaping of both grips, the motor although larger will over heat with heavy sanding and turning so you have to give it a rest. You should be able to hold your hand on the motor for a nine count, if you cannot it is too hot. The turning motor does not have a foot control nor does it need it. Smallest motor grove to the largest headstock grove gives plently of speed for sanding and turning.

Charlie Roberts

Date: February 19, 2008 05:23AM

Scott Youschak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the quick reply's. Mike I tried
> searching @#$%& for renzetti motor and came up with
> nothing, which are you using? It looks like it
> needs a 1/4" shaft for the pulley, I can't find
> one large enough with the smaller shaft.
>
> Henry I like the drill idea, I have the foot pedal
> that came with the Renzetti, not sure if it is the
> 6 amp, here it is on their website
>
> [www.renzetti.com]
> 0&cat=283&page=1
>
> Also how did you mount the drill so the pulley's
> lined up correctly? Is there a specific drill I
> should be looking for that is compatible with the
> pedal?

There is no way the renzetti foot pedal will hold a drill its rated for about 1 amp. A drill needs way more that this. You will burn it if you try it.

see here at the bottom of the page on this link. this pedal will hold a drill.

[www.electricmotorwarehouse.com]

My other buddy had his motor burn so we went to the industrial district where we live and got him this motor 2M145 1/2 HP for his dale clemens lathe and that pedal at the bottom of the page. He can turn anything with it now, never smell anything burning anymore. No slow down what so ever motor never complains.

My friend whom we used a drill with his lathe had just lost his job and didnt have the scratch for the setup mentioned above so we just gave him a drill and mounted it, we happen to have an extra 6 amp dayton pedal laying around so he was in luck. I will try and take a picture in a few days when next I go by his place.

By the way both these guys burned two motors each.

The reason they are burning motors is becasue they are turning with the pedal half pressed and not at full speed they both told me they always smell alot of smoke. So this is how I see them doing it. They were using them on the smallest and largest pulleys to get the most torque.

Renzetti should just sell the darn thing with the 1/2 horse power motor and be done with it. Their machine is so darn well made the motor is the weak link.

Incase anyone shoudl wonder how we mounted the 1/2 HP motor to 1/4 pulleys we didnt we used taig lathe pulleys they are the same as the renzetti's cept they will accept a 3/8 motor shaft.

[www.taigtools.com]

1161 6 step pulley set (2 pulleys per set) 3/8" motor shaft 3M 500 belt included $24.45

Date: February 19, 2008 05:33AM

I forgot to mention you could just run the drill like normal without the pedal. My friend makes long butt wraps and underwraps so he likes to use the pedal in addition to uses his lathe to turn on. Otherwise he would just pop offf the belt and wrap by hand.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.direcpc.com)
Date: February 19, 2008 01:12PM

Ok guys. The reason I was asking volume question was that the lengeth of service of a motor irrelevent. Its how many rods with each motor that is the question. If I built 24 rods a year over 10 years thats 240 rods. If I build 240 in one year, thats totally different. I am looking forward to discussing this woith the renzetti folks this weekend.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster