I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater blanks 15-30 and 15-40 lbs...
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 03:05AM

OK, a basic question from someone who hasn't a CLUE about saltwater blanks. After my first foray into saltwater fishing this weekend and breaking the first rod I rebuilt, I'm got the bug to try another one. While I know a good bit about UL and L freshwater blanks, I know next to nothing blanks suitable for saltwater off a boat. I think people call this 'boat rods'? (Can you tell that I'm quite limited on this?)

I see that there are lots of FIBERGLASS rodblanks in this category. I assume that is for durability. I think there are also graphite ones - are these tough enough to be just leaned on corner of boats etc as long as they are not stepped on? The other four guys i was with all had stock fiberglass rods and they were very relaxed about just laying down anywhere they well pleased.

The one I rebuilt and broke is graphite with relatively thin walls.

I'd like something both sensitive and yet tough - a difficult combination. We were fishing at the bottom as deep as 260 feet most the time. I was using braided and It thought the sensitivity to be important.

Anyways, appreciate any illumination.

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater blanks 15-30 and 15-40 lbs...
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2008 06:43AM

I really like the rouge line of saltwater balnks very light and sensitive. They have rods designed for most of our coasts and best of all the blanks are available. Also have a look at batson's eglass series of salt water blanks if you dont want to spend a ton. They are a nice mix of sensitivity and toughness. Also look at lamiglass thye have to much to list, I think they make a blank for everything.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 07:41AM

Mo; Go to the Seeker Rods web site, www.seekerrods.com, and look at the Super Seeker rod blanks. You will find everything from 10 lbs up to 130 lbs. Very impressive blanks.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2008 09:11AM

Take a look at Lamiglas Tri-Flex blanks.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 09:44AM

Can you tell us what the blank was that you broke and how you broke it? I'm not asking you to do that in a spirit of criticism toward anybody's product; I'm just wondering if the blank selection wasn't appropriate to the task at hand. Or, if you are used to UL FW stuff (I share that infatuation), perhaps there is a technique issue in doing SW in the surf or from a boat. I have blanks from all the major manufacturers that I use regularly in the salt and I have never had a breakage.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2008 01:37PM

THANKS to all. Keep them coming and I'll check them out.

Marty - we talked briefly about this in a different thread. I was actually using a relatively low cost factory rod that I rebuilt so it did not start as a rod blank. It sure was light for the power though.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster