I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reworking Fenwick glass rods.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 08:25AM

How well do the older Fenwick Feralite/Fenglass take to rework such as replacing df guides with sf and exposing previous wrapped areas? I've had good success with bare graphite blanks before, not so good with the colored variety. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reworking Fenwick glass rods.
Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 09:50AM

Sometimes you get the brass ring sometimes you don't...To remove the old finish use heat and a plastic impliment to scrape with[as in the library here} Remember not much heat and if you have done graphites you will see that the fiberglass can withstand a bit more heat.
Discoloring will be there so you may want to underwrap or make a longer guide wrap to cover this discoloration. Myself I have used a alcohol lamp for finish removal as there is always that one time that a heat gun or torch will "bite" you.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 08:40PM

I've done several of these. The worst ones a lot of finish defects where the clear coat was flaking off. This and the difficulty in getting the old epoxy off can be challenging on the really old ones. If you move the guides from the original positions, some of the old guide spots are likely to show a bit. Very careful heat application and some careful work can get them looking pretty good. The tip areas on these rods won't take a lot of heat. I had one with a small defect in the tip and the first application of heat made the top 4" just fall off. It probably would have broken anyway so I sleeved it and put a guide there. The customer was cool with this as it wasn't functional when I got it.

I would like to hear what others tell customers that bring old rods in for rebuild. We never know if there has been any abuse or nicks in the blanks when we get them for rebuild. I always tell customers that there is no guarantee if the rod breaks after my repair, other than for my workmanship. I can't guarantee the condition of the blank when I get it.

Terry

Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: February 19, 2008 11:52AM

This is an interesting topic, my main concern with the translucent blanks is small cracks or what I call "pings" to the blank, small spots where the blank has been hit and has shattered slightly. How should these be repaired?

Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2008 12:02PM by Tim Kelly.

Posted by: Curtis Trompler (---.austinareaobgyn.com)
Date: February 19, 2008 04:15PM

Do the old Fenwicks use epoxy or varnish for the wraps? It looks like varnish to me. If that's the case, then you should be able to remove the residue with mineral spirits.

Minor dings are less of an issue with glass than graphite. If it's a major crack, then the repair would be the same for a broken rod. You have to glue a piece of scrap blank inside to reinforce the spot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster