I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

static guide placement
Posted by: Daniel Burney (---.230.91.75.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 03:34PM

Using Tom's static guide placement from the library. I have a 8ft medium saltwater spinning rod.
This is a mass produced factory spinning combo that i have redone(in other words, el cheapo wally world)
in the article, it starts from the 2nd guide since tip to 1st guide distance is already known(4-6 inches). My question is, what determines the distance for what the tip to #1 guide should be? Originally it was 71/4 inches. and if I did put the 1st guide 71/4 from tip, then should i space the other guides 71/4 each to start out?

2nd question: does it matter how i load up the rod? Instead of holding the butt to flex the rod, could I put the butt in something like a spine finder and pull down on the tip end to load the blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: static guide placement
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 04:37PM

Hi Daniel,

Inexpensive rods usually use fewer guides, so they are spaced farther apart. That's why the original was 7 1/4 from the tip. If you read Tom's library article carefully, your questions will be answered. On the rod you are talking about, precise placement of the 1st guide from the tip isn't super critical. Start with 5". Place the other guides about 5" apart along the rod and string a line through them. Hang a small weight on that line just to keep tension on it, about 1/2 oz is fine. Use a different line to flex the rod and follow the instructions in the article.

Shoot me an email if you have questions or post more here.

Terry

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 11:18AM

On a spinner rod I would use the new guide concept style placement.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2008 01:20PM

Tom,
Common sense and a bit of paitence easily dictates guide placement.

Lets say that you start with a bare blank with the handle in place - ready to place the guides.

Gather a bunch of strips of narrow tape to mark the blank.

Starting from the tip -= flex the rod. At the spot where the rod flexes first =- place the first guide.
Then, divide the distance from that spot to the tip - in half and place a guide at that spot to carry the line.
Then, working back toward the butt of the rod, continue to flex the rod, and place a guide wherever necessary to insure that the line has support at points of blank curvature.

Generally speaking, again working from the tip = the spacing between guides will gradually grow larger as you move from the tip to the butt of the rod.
If you have a very fast tip rod - and or casting rod - you may find that several of the guides near the tip are equally spaced to allow the line to be properly carried around the curvature of the blank. Then, as the blank gets stiffer, the guide spacing will increase since the curvature of the blank is less.

Finally, after taping all of the guides in place, mount a reel that is similar to the type reel to be used on the rod. Thread up the rod - and check to see how the line flows through the guides.
Insure that you have good line support so that the line follows the curvature of the blank.

YOu will be in good shape.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster