I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spine and guide orientation
Posted by: John Halderman (---.pm3-5.ifw-ch.in.localnet.com)
Date: February 16, 2008 01:28PM

I have been making flyrods for a few years and I know that the quides go on the oppsite side of the spine. Well I have been asked to make a casting rod and common sense tells me to put the guides on the same side as the spine sine the guides on a casting rod are outside the bend verses a flyrod wich are on the inside. Am I thinking correcty or am I way off base?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spine and guide orientation
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 01:39PM

John, do a search here for spine or spline and choose all dates, you will have some reading to do! (couple days worth)
Why not build it spiral wrapped and not worry about the spine, spline?
Yes if your going to build conventional then place the guides on the outside of the spine.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 16, 2008 01:49PM

There have been MANY disussions here (a long one recently) Personally, I would ignore the spine and build to the straightest axis of the blank. I feel the spine is pretty much a non factor in rod building and building to the straightest axis ends up with a better rod. This is MY opinion and I'll be the first to say that there is NO wrong way and do whatever you are more comfortable with!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2008 03:44PM

Why do the guides go opposite, or even on, the spine. What does that accomplish?

Guide placement determines if the rod will attempt to twist. All casting rods with the guides on top are inherently unstable while all spinning and fly rods with the guides on the bottom of the rod are inherently stable. And, this holds true regardless of where you orient the spine.

Posted by: Jan Veenema (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2008 04:01PM

As an "lefthanded" avid off-shore fisherman I've caught many fish on conventional gear becoming spinning-gear by flippin the rod and reeling backwards........Granted I would not like doing that with a 130 but on smaller gear it has NEVER bothered me and the fish seems to taste the same!! (just my $0.02)

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 16, 2008 10:32PM

Jan,

That's why folks that don't want to perform such gyrations use the spiral wrap.

John,

You write 'I know that the quides go on the oppsite side of the spine' in regard to fly rods. I certainly don't 'know' that. In fact, I do it the other way (I know 'why' I do it that way, but it's much too long an explanation to type out here-besides, it just really doesn't matter).

What has been pretty well proven is that the spine effect is a minor aspect to be considered in building a rod. So many other things are so much more important.

If you are looking for some kind of consensus, you won't find it. Too many folks have their own odd reasons why they do it a certain way, but none of them agree.

It just doesn't matter. Build it how you want. There is no 'right' or 'correct' way. It all works and all the rods fish just fine.

Buddy

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 07:40AM

I would do a spiral wrap this would elimanate the rod from twisting.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: February 17, 2008 11:15AM

I've gone to building on the straightest axis and think the performance picks up when you disregard the spine and do this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster