I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Foam Grip Advice
Posted by: Jeff Leonard (---.mc.net)
Date: February 14, 2008 11:58AM

I would like some advice on which way to make a 14" foam butt grip for a casting rod which has a butt OD about .68". If I pour it in one piece it is too long for my lathe because I don't have a bed extension. If I make it out of two pieces, glue and bore the ID I am afraid it may break in half while trying to skin it. I could make it in one piece and bore the ID, mount on blank and turn but am afraid it may not be as true as turning on a lathe. I'm just not sure how strong it will be if made in two pieces after reaming. I don't want to have a mess on my hands whlie skinning.

Thanks
Jeff Leonard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foam Grip Advice
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2008 12:05PM

You can make it in two pieces do your lathe work, then use some more foam to glue it together. It will bond strong enough that you will not be able to tell it is two pieces. I would keep it on a treated mandrel just to make sure it stays straight. Then you can sand the joint to match the rest of the grip.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: February 14, 2008 12:07PM

Jeff, This stuff is so easy to form I'm sure there would be no problem doing while it is on the rod. The only thing I would be concerned about then is putting the skin on. The way I put my skins on I think it would be difficult to do that on a rod with the overflow of the west system epoxy, then worring about getting that off of the blank. I also see no problem with shaping the foam in 2 pieces and the skinning it after that. you will be skinning it on a mandrel I would think and that should hold it together until the epoxy cures. Hope this is of some help. Feel free to email me with any questions. JP Timberlake will be touching on a few of these things at ICRBE if you will be there, and I might step in in the end and give him a hand with that. Scott

Date: February 14, 2008 12:17PM

Steve

Do I just mount both pieces on threaded rod and glue like epoxying cork rings together and hold together with hand pressure until the foam sets. I can't imagine having to do this in the mold. Forgot to mention this is 8lb foam. Thanks for your help, that seems to be the ticket.

Jeff Leonard

Date: February 14, 2008 12:25PM

Scott

My intention was to turn as one piece on the rod, slide it off and skin allowing me to skin it after reaming to proper ID. I believe Steve's idea using foam for glue would be a better alternative to epoxy. Thanks for the help.

Jeff Leonard

Posted by: Billy Broderick (208.66.198.---)
Date: February 14, 2008 03:29PM

I have glued a number of them together with epoxy. After it dries overnight i sanded the joint and you would have a hard time finding the joint. once the skin is on it disappears and is just as strong as can be. just don[t forget to line up the hole before gluing. I lined it up by centering on a mandrill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster