I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Honest question
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 14, 2008 06:23PM

I'd like to ask a serious question just in case I've missed something. Not trying to get deeper into an argument, just trying to understand. There was statement earlier that with a two piece rod there will be disadvantages. Here is my honest question, if my two piece rods are doing all that I ask of them, including casting my lures, hooking and landing the fish I'm lucky enough to tangle with, and they aren't breaking, what is/are the disadvantages? I understand they cost a bit more at the outset, but if they offer greater convenience in transport for me, and cast my lures, fight my fish, stay together and they haven't and don't seem to be breaking, what are the disadvantages other than that slightly higher initial cost? Is there really any disadvantage?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Multi piece rod "discussion".
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2008 06:37PM

Ken - IMO, absolutely NOT ... but as sound as your argument is, you are still not going to convince the "Not Me" crowd.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 14, 2008 07:35PM

Hey Ken, you got it!! I fish all 2 pc., and I don't think there is any 1 pc rod that will let you feel a hit, where a good 2 pc. wouldn't. And, not that I a great fisherman, I regularly out fish my uncle who is a brainwashed 1 pc is the way to go guy. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. It's just so frustrating when you know someone would be better off with a 2 pc, and they insist on a 1 pc.. The up side is that I get good repair business replacing on lot of tip tops for these guys when they snap the tip off.

Posted by: mark crouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 14, 2008 08:44PM

some guys say that multiple piece rods are getting now popular, and it is something new, I started building rods 1974 in Germany, beeing an Army brat, and living over there, sculpted my way of fishing, and I can honestly say until i moved back to the states in 1992, I had never seen or fished with one piece rods. Some of you will say now they catch little fish, but that is deffinetly not the fact.
Zander ( Walleye) 30 POUND PLUS
Catfish ( Wels) 300 pound
Pike 50 pound plus
carp 80 pound plus
etc.
The fact is, you can built any rod, in a multiple section rod, even a Stand up rod. I own bass rods in 4 piece, Striper rods in 4 pc.
Telescopic rods where the big thing in the 70's and 80's in Europe, with 6 and 7 sections, and they where great. If any body wants to check out multiple section rods ( more than 2 sections , come to my booth in HP.
Best Regards Mark Crouse

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2008 09:44PM

Ken,

There are pros and cons to most anything you buy and use, so it comes down to how it works for you personally as to whether you're going to experience either or both. If your multi-piece rods are doing what you ask of them, without causing problems or breaking, then there is absolutely no disadvantage, for you, and what you're doing with them. That may not be the case for the next guy, but for you, there does not appear to be any disadvantage.

I've not found any disadvantage in regard to what I do with multi-piece rods either. They do what I ask, they're stronger than the lines I fish on them and I don't have problems with them coming apart at the ferrule.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 15, 2008 08:13AM

2 piece rods not standing up to abuse? Up here in Northern MN us Salmon and Steelheaders typically use a 7 to 9 weight fly rod to fish the rivers. The standard outfit would be one of those old Martin 72 multiplier spooled with 8# test mono and a 9' 8 wt fly rod. I can attest that these rods are not treated as anything resembling "delicate wands". I personally have used a 9' 8wt Fenwick HMG that I built in around 1980 and I have not had a single failure and I can tell you I have put a ton of stress on that old rod fishing for Steelhead and Kings.

And you don't really see too many if any Salmon/Steelhead rods coming in 1 piece. And I don't think too many folks put their rods to the test any harder than someone fishing Salmon/Steelhead. Those fish run big and fight hard. If there was an inherent problem with 2 piece rods I would think they would be some of the 1st to see problems.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 09:48AM

I wasn't making an argument, just trying to understand if there was any real disadvantage to rods that I had thought were doing okay by me. I guess I didn't miss anything.

Sometimes I think we can get too technical and caught up in semantics that don't really figure into what we do out there on the water while fishing. I don't doubt that there is a stress build up ahead of the ferrules on my rods, but unless it causes me some sort of trouble I really could care less. So far so good. In all these years it hasn't caused me any trouble that I'm aware of. Over and out.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 11:45AM

Hey Ken,

I agree with your last post, as probably do most multi pc. fans. I think what you are hearing is our frustration with the one pc. is better and I ain't gonna change guys.

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 15, 2008 10:04PM

I've got several two piece rods that I've been fishing for maybe twenty years now. Not a single one has every suffered stress concentration ahead of the ferrule to the point where any of them broke. So explain to me how this is a disadvantage.

Theories don't scare me. I tend to base my judgements on how things really work in the real world. My two piece rods are doing just fine, thank you.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster