I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Any tips for using Threadmaster Ultimate Epoxy Gel?
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2008 12:37PM

I just acquired my first batch of Threadmaster Ultimate Epoxy Gel. I know that this isn't rocket surgery, but I thought I'd check with others to enquire whether or not there are any things I need to consider when using it. In the past, I have only used the twin-packed tubes, and there isn't a whole lot to their use. Nonetheless, I thought it would be wise to mine the thoughts of those on this board. Thanks.
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any tips for using Threadmaster Ultimate Epoxy Gel?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 13, 2008 12:49PM

Great stuff! Especially the 15 min version. I use a couple craft (popsicle) sticks, mix on a small piece of cardboard/newspaper, etc. and just eyeball and get as close as I can to 50/50 mix (not real critical. just get as close as you can)

You'll love it! Stays right where you put it. One thing though. THIN layers of epoxy are best. More is NOT better.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.50.108.216.auroracollege.com)
Date: February 13, 2008 01:02PM

What Mike said.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2008 03:17PM

I too use two popsicle sticks and eye ball the 50/50mix.

I use a small piece of aluminum foil and fold it in 1/2 and mix on that. Works great and super easy to get and dispose of.

It's not the best stuff for epoxy ramps imo, I've tried it a few times and it's just a little to thick to flow well when on the dryer even when heated.

Clean your parts well, and make groves in them for glue lines.

DR

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 13, 2008 04:05PM

I use the regular 5 min epoxy for ramps

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2008 08:24PM

What was said above is all there is to it. Very forgiving stuff. Next time you are at a show or somewhere that is giving away note pads grab a few. They make perfect mixing palettes. Then tear it off and a new surface is waiting.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: February 13, 2008 09:46PM

What everyone said is spot-on, biut I'll add that you want to draw your epoxy from the center patch of the mix (we mix it on a piece of scrap cardboard). That way you're pretty sure you've got the right 50/50 blend.

We use the 5min for tips, the 15min for grips and foregrips, and the long-cure for reel seats to allow us working time to line the seat up with the spine (OK, nobody start THAT one up again) or to do multiple rods. The pot life is just super.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2008 11:25AM

Thanks, everyone. I kind of anticipated that the responses would be somewhat like this. It is good info. This board remains an incredible resource!
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2008 11:26AM by Hunter Armstrong.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster