I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reverse for a Pac Bay
Posted by: Terry Jones (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 05:44PM

I just got a Pac Bay Wrapper with the good chuck. It sure would be nice to have a reverse switch...are there any kits that exsist already or are there any reasons for me not to rig my own?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reverse for a Pac Bay
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 05:57PM

I just turn it backwards by hand.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: February 12, 2008 06:01PM

That's what I've been doing, but if I'm down towards the tip, it's a little tougher...I was just being lazy and thinking of adding a sw half way down.

Date: February 12, 2008 08:29PM

When I`m near the tip take the belt off and do it all by hand.It is easier that way for me.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: February 12, 2008 09:03PM

Contact PacBay directly. Aks for Bonnie and she'll direct you to the right person. They are great people and always willing to help.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2008 12:32AM

There is one option if you decide to stay with AC 110v power.

You can obtain a motor - which brings the armature and brush windings to the outside of the motor. These will be 4 wires. then, depending on how you hook them up, you can reverse the direction of the motor.

For example:

[www.grainger.com] -- This is the style motor that is reversible.
I have used a 1/2 dozen of these motors to build power wrappers. I use the 300 rpm model. Then, I use 1:1 pulleys to drive a chuck, or I have used a chuck adapter to mount the chuck directly on the output shaft of the motor.

When I use this setup in a power wrapper, I use a double pole double pole switch to take the 4 motor wires, and reconfigure them at the flip of the switch to reverse motor direction.

I don't know if the replacement 5000 rpm motor would have the appropriate speed and mounting configuration for the pac bay wrapper.

--
Another option is to use a dc motor.
All of my current power wrappers use a 24 volt dc 300 rpm gear motor. I have built a 0-24 volt dc power supply - where the voltage is controlled by a foot pedal. Then, I use a one to one pulley setup to drive the lathe chuck. I then use a switch to reverse the polarity of the voltage to the motor and reverse the motor.

Take care
Roger

If you have any questions, drop me an e-mail at:

hflier@comcast.net

Date: February 13, 2008 08:04AM

Thanks Fred...that's a definite DUH on my part...I guess it would make it easier to take the belt off and do it by hand.
And thank you Russ for that info...I will call them today...it seems everyone in this business is friendly and great to work with! I love it.
Extremely good information Roger...I can see you have already spent some time on this issue. I'm not looking to change my motor out, just wanted to see if the one Pac Bay uses is reversible. Your DC motor setup you have sounds perfect.
Thanks again!
Terry

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2008 11:36AM

I hope Bob Lee reads this, because we get asked about reverse all the time...

I do like Fred and drop the belt.

The four wires that Roger talks about feed the field coil & brushes. By reversing the polarity to either (switching polarity on one or the other, but not both) the motor will reverse direction. You've probably seen this done mechanically on an old school drill motor or electric impact wrench. On those older tools where you would rotate the cap or housing on the end of the motor 180 degrees to reverse the tool's direction, what's happening is you are rotating the brushes relationship to the field coil 180 degrees, changing the motors direction. This is more commonly done now days by simply reversing the polarity to one or the other (brushes or field) by means of a switch as Roger points out. It would mean removing the wires from the brush holders and extending them to feed the "line" side of a double pole (?) switch. The two outputs (four terminals) of the switch would then go back to the brush holders. One feeding +/-, the other feeding -/+.

Two problems doing it on the sewing machine motor on your wrapper. First, the wiring is all internal and there really isn't room to route four more wires into the motor safely. Second, it's liable to unscrew the chuck from the driveshaft under load.

Drop the belt. lol

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (205.235.112.---)
Date: February 13, 2008 02:16PM

On my wrapper from Pac Bay, if I turn the switch off from the dryer position, and then turn it back on, the rotation of the motor changes? I have not done any mods. to it.

Date: February 13, 2008 08:31PM

The drier motor will do that. The wrapping will not.You can also stall the drying motor with your hand and it will switch.I do this to keep it rotating towards me so it dont loosen up.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2008 09:02PM

Mark,
Right on.
I have pulled several sewing machine motors apart - as is commonly found on the pac bay wrapper, and did exactly what you described.

It is a bit of a tough go, and it takes great care to do the wire extension, and packing so that you don't have any shorts or problems with the motor.
However, if you take your time - have the skills and soldering iron to to the job correctly, nearly any motor can be modified as described above.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
Note:
This motor rotation is only true for brush type motors. It will not work for common single speed induction motors.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster