I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split grip shape
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 01:36AM

I realize that the shape of a grip is personal preference.
However, I also realize that the shape of a grip has a considerable influence on the comfort and long term fishability of a rod.

After making many many rods, I have come to the conclusion - for a spinning rod, that it works better for me if - the butt section changes shape as follows.

As one comes off the end of the reel seat, I find it works very well for the rod butt to essentially match the diameter of the reel seat. This is to prevent a built up butt section from cutting into the back palm of your hand. Then, I find that a gradual taper to the routine larger diameter needed for nice balance, looks, and use in rod holders.

Now, I find that when using a split grip concept, that a similar shape seems to work best for me.

I have noted many many split spinning grips which come off the back of the reel seat, and then gradually neck down to a small diameter. However, when using such a grip, I find that I don't get any natural bracing effect from the rod butt section. Rather, with the butt section tapering down to a small diameter, the only bracing is from the fingers wrapped around the pedestal of the reel, and the grip on the fore section of the reel seat.

Now, if, when using a split grip - the butt section near the reel seat is a near match in diameter and then INCREASES in diameter toward the butt - before terminating in a relatively large diameter - you now have a very comfortable grip with a nice back brace on the back palm of your hand when casting.

Any thoughts or comments?

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split grip shape
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 06:04AM

It is called ergonometrics - all split grips MAY not be the same - check out the Pink Lady spin cast - like YOU say the increase reversal may be of benefit to the stype of casting and grip.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

or

These horrid Blue and Orange things:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Gon Fishn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2008 08:26AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: February 12, 2008 09:44AM

Roger, I think I agree with what you said. While I do not build rods fro FW use, I have spent a lot of wasted money with various shaped grips on roods, adn found certain sizes/style/shapes seem to be a lot more comfortable than others. HEre's a couple of SPinning rods for SW I've buiilt split grip style. THAt non foregrip thing so man yFW guys like is just 10000% uncomfortable for the type of fishing I do - the small diameter of the blank makes my thumb cramp up when jigging, the "thumbprint" foregrip prevents any cramping.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 02:29PM

Roger - I've moved to the shape you describe with the NPS seat. I think it is very similiar in shape and function as the back of a full wells fly grip. which I prefer
[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2008 12:42AM

Billy,

Your 2nd rod is virtually identical to the shape of the fore and butt grips. As your picture shows, very comfortable for the hand.

I had never thought about the idea of shortning the non threaded side of the NPS reel seat. A great idea. That would also make the grip larger and more comfortable.

I have built the NPS reel seat both ways. i.e. with the threads to the front of the rod; as well as with the threads to the back of the rod. In comparing the two directions; I find that the NPS reel seat is far more comfortable to hold with the threads to the front of the rod.

On the next one that I build, I will shorten the non threaded end of the reel seat to make the seat more comfortable. This would allow a bit larger butt section which would work very well indeed.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and ideas.

Roger

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: February 13, 2008 09:27AM

Roger - one thing to keep in mind when shortening the NPS seat, is that it is NOT round, but oval. It's not a big deal to hand sand, or sand on a belt sander to match the shape, but it was a bit of a shock to me the first time. IT is also not symetrical or coencentric to teh blank. Where the reel foot foot rests the seat is thicker, makin git stick out further from teh blank. If you shape grips OFF the blank, keep in mind that you want to leave them a bit oversize before installing, and finish up hand sanding directly on teh blank.

Tha same picture, the foregrip is a KDPS locking foregrip, which I cut down very short. I HATE reel seat threads, and the way that locking foregrip is designed, it prevents me from touching them. YOu can use the same piece if you install it downlocking or uplocking. That particular set up, if I felt teh need to touch the blank I just split the reel with my pinky & ring finger instead of ring & middle - that gives my pointer finger the reach to touch the blank.

Depending on what is important to you, you can modify EVERY component to satisfy your needs. Don't be afraid to experiment, and expect that if you do experiment that some will be failures. In the long run, you'll find something YOU like using and you KNOW tht it works the way you want it to.

Posted by: Rich Gassman (71.237.10.---)
Date: February 13, 2008 08:22PM

Hi everyone, I agree with a lot that has been mentioned above. That is the reason I like the IPS Fuji seat. The IPS seat does not constrain the size and shape of your grip like most all other reel seats do. The trigger is also farther forward which allows your hand to be closer to th real for casting and retrieving. I think that larger OD grips are more comfortable and allow better control of the weight of the reel with casting rods. Just my thoughts. Have a great day, Rich.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster