I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about AFTCO lightweight roller guides.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 01:04PM

Aftco makes a lightweight series of roller guides and tip tops in the 2-30 lb catagory and they are not really all that expensive. The guides come in sf design from size #1 through #5 and the #6 is a df guide.

If I wanted to make a trolling rod for Salmon fishing from a boat on the Great Lakes, what guide sizes would make a suitable setup for an 8' ? I assume the #6 df guide would serve as the butt guide. I understand if all guides were on top, the line would go over the top of the roller. But if I made this a spiral wrap, is there room for the line to go on the other side of the roller if placed under the rod without interferring with the guide frame? I can't quite tell on the pictures. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about AFTCO lightweight roller guides.
Posted by: Dave Barrett (138.239.78.---)
Date: February 11, 2008 01:15PM

No you cannot use those guides in a spiral wrap.

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 04:35PM

You can not make a spiral wrapped rod with AFTCO lightweight roller guides. The only roller guides that will work with spiral wrap, are made by All American Guides, who are listed on the left as a sponsor of RodBuilding.org

Rena

Date: February 11, 2008 04:46PM

Thanks guys, I just searched more and found that out - the All American @#$%& guides are a bit too heavy for the blank I intend to use so I guess I'll be using Alconites instead. Thanks.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: February 12, 2008 02:43PM

If you decide to build with the Aftco lightweight guides make sure you get the blank diameter at the location of each guides. The feet are rounded and the only fit a range of blank diameters.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.62.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 08:29PM

As a secondary question to these guides, has anyone actually tested the strength of them? While, I realize they are rated to only 30# line (to me thats light in many applications) would using 40 or 50 pound braided line be too much of a strain on these guides?

Date: February 13, 2008 10:22AM

Thanks for the tip Scott, but how exactly would I accomplish that ? Do I order one of every different size, then static test the blank, fit the correct sizes to the areas on the blank where a guide falls and then reorder more of the right size guides? That seems like a Catch-22 to me unless there's an easier way that I'm missing. Thanks.

Date: February 13, 2008 11:10AM

Stumbling around the Interent I found what blank diamters each of these guides fit.

L1 -.075 - .100, L2 -.100-.140, L2.5 - .140-.170, L3 - .170-.210, L4 thru L6 - >.210.

So I assume I could static test the blank using a similar height gude, measure the blank diameters for those areas, and order guides that will fit into those ranges. My only concern would be the possibility of "roller coaster" guide heights based on what fits on specific areas of the blank rather than a smooth guide height arrangement.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster