I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Leather Foregrips
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2008 09:06AM

Doing a pair of offshore rods with, first time for me......leather foregrips. When I apply finish in the thread to leather transition area, will the finish bleed or wick into the leather?

My "spidey sense" was tingling as my brush hovered over the wrap.

Mike

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Leather Foregrips
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2008 10:23AM

Any time that you work with a new material, the safest thing to do is to use some of this material on a practice pice - using your planned procedures.

Better to do the testing and experimenting on a practice piece that you build up in 5 minutes; rather than a rod that you have worked on for several days and find you have an issue;

Do some tests and let us know your results.

Take care
Roger

Date: February 09, 2008 10:48AM

I'm a big fan of testing myself. Unfortunately I cant use these particular foregrips as Guinee pigs..dude would kill me. My drivers and putter have leather grips...hmmmm.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2008 11:08AM

Kind of hard to test out when the grips are already glued on teh rod and shipped up to you, huh? lol. YOu just got Billy40'd by someone else, lol.

Just be careful with the brush. I've seen a few LEather foregrips, and none seemed to have seeped onto teh leather. If someone else could do it no problem, I'm sure you can too.

Date: February 09, 2008 11:26AM

"...you just got Billy 40'd" .....Good one Billy :)

Its a spidey sense thing....I get the exact same feeling when I position a drill rig over a gas line or a 16" water main. Brush over leather...what harm can I do? People have been doing for years. People have been drilling into gas lines and water mains for years to...(brain!!!!..stop it)

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2008 12:20PM

Mike one of the shops I do repairs for have numerous rods made using the leather grips and those making them are not the best at times applying finish but I have not seen any of them with a problem in that area
John

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2008 12:22PM

JOhn, thanks. While Mike asked the question, I'm in teh same boat as he is with the other half of the set to wrap for our friend. Hopeully I'll see you in a couple of weeks.

Posted by: Scott Olex (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2008 01:13PM

Mike,

I've done leather grips before and have two for beach shark. I've had no bleeding problems and should have a bit of cutoff that you could use for testing if you like.

Scott

Date: February 09, 2008 01:48PM

Scott, thanks for the straight up answer. I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the offer too.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2008 04:01PM

Billy and Mikey together and in leather - Now that's picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: February 09, 2008 11:10PM

Hanky...We'll take plenty of photos and post them here,,,, send down your handcuffs, leather belt, badge, and "Billy" club, from Maine and we'll add it to the photo....LOL

Mikey

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2008 12:14AM

Mike,

Sorry but they kept all my gear when I retired in 95 but I will be waiting for the photos - You all have a good time in S. Carolina. Remember stay north of the Mason-Dixon line. They would love two Yankees like you two.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: February 11, 2008 12:43AM

Leather and saltwater don't mix well unless the leather is treated first, but then finishing it is similar to working with other "natural" materials. The preparation used to be done with a variety of tanning-type stuff, and greases, such as lard or animal fat mixtures. Now, it can be silicon-based greases and sprays.

For example, rawhide strips used to be used for wraps on grips and foregrips. Leather has been used just about forever to wrap oarlocks, for example. Old fighting belts and rigs used leather straps and pads long before there were the modern plastics. Some of that gear can still be seen in the Maritime Museum here in my town.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: February 11, 2008 11:29AM

Russ, the leather grips were made by Biscayne, and they have been SW tested over teh years and hold up quite well. They are gorgeous grips, and are actually quite comfortable to hold with their large OD. I don't think they are for everyone, but for some tehy work out really well.

Posted by: Andy Smith (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 04:01PM

I make and repair english saddles as well as fish and make my own rods (still learning). I have some experience with leather over the last 25 years of working with it, I would recommend using hand stuffed and greased saddle seat pigskin for any grips, I use it all the time on my saddle seats. It is made in England by the best tanner in the world -Sedgwicks. The pigskin is thin and can be cut into one inch strips and then wrapped on to the blank the same as you would on your golf clubs, I used actual golf club leather grip material on some of my polo mallets and it worked very well. I would recommend using Sedgwicks leather preserver every few weeks as it containes the same basic ingredients as the used at the tannery. It is available at siegel of california leather in Buellton Ca. Once I get better at wrapping I'll try a leather foregrip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster