I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank restoring
Posted by: shawn storey (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2008 02:08AM

i'm rebuilding a spinning rod for a guy and was wondering how i'd go about restoring the finish to the blank after i remove the old guides. instead of rewrapping it using the cone of flight setup like it was originally built i'm using the new concept system so only 1 of the guides falls in the old guides slots.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank restoring
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2008 09:36AM

Depends on the color and condition but Permagloss is a great blank finish.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 09, 2008 10:20AM

One way I was shown and use alot, is scrapping the finish off the blank. If you use a very sharp razor blade or knife, hold the blade 90 degrees to the blank, you can easily scrape the finsh off without harming the blank. Then use Permagloss after and coat it. Can easily color the Permaglos too if you want to have it come out something other than the blank color. It will not be opaque but a nice translucent color. The scraping works well also for where the guides were originally.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2008 10:29AM

I agree with Mikes answer with respect to scraping the blasnk.
Depending on the blank and its material, you may find that the "scraped" blank will be just fijne.

Typically, after scraping, I will put the cleanup rod blank in my rod lathe and spin at at high speed. Then, I will use wet and dry 600-1000 sand paper, first used dry, then, used wet to give a nice matt finish to th e blank. When, done, if the blank is of decent quality, the finish of the rod is generally excellent, with no further finish necessary.

If you like, after rewrapping the rod, you can put a finish of hard wax on it if you like.

I would just as soon avoid adding further weight to the blank in the form of finish.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: shawn storey (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2008 06:53PM

sorry guys it slipped my mind when i originally posted but the blank is painted a mahogany color kinda like g loomis blank. the manufacturer was kunnan and to my knowledge they are no longer around

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster