I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fiberglass fly rod blanks
Posted by: Ken Tong (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 07, 2008 09:48PM

Hello,

I was wondering what experiences people have had with different fiberglass fly rod blanks.

I am considering either a Thomas and Thomas Heirloom or a Lamiglass Fiberglass blank in a three weight.

The Thomas and Thomas costs more than 3x as the Lamiglass ($92.34 vs $310).

Thanks,
Ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fiberglass fly rod blanks
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: February 07, 2008 10:13PM

Haven't tried the T&T glass blanks, but the Lamiglas Spring Creek glass, Blue Ridge composites and the Diamondback glass blanks are nice products.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: February 08, 2008 12:57AM

you're comparing one of the most expensive modern fiberglass blanks to one of the cheapest. either way, if you were to read up on these two blanks on the fiberglass fly rod forums, you'd find both get rave reviews. but this is assuming you're talking about lamiglas' honey colored blanks. lamiglas makes two fiberglass fly blanks (the honey colored ones and the Spring Creek series) as well as a partial fiberglass blank, the blue ridge.

like spencer said, there are other options you should look into as well. steffen bros, mcfarland, diamondback' diamondglass series (discontinued?), TL Johnson, plus some interesting offerings from japan if you want to get into fiberglass. not to mention new old stock stuff like fenwick, silaflex, etc.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2008 05:15AM

for sure go over here, [p097.ezboard.com] and learn everything you can. there is a directory of glass rod makers here as well. the folks are very willing to educate you. the answer to your questions depends somewhat on how you fish and what you want from the rod. most glass rods tend to have a slower action than graphite and feels different as well. while it is true that glass can be made to create a "fast" action rod, that is not what most people who buy glass are looking for. i like the honey colored lamis very much and they are an exceptionlal buy in quality glass blanks. i know nothing about the T&T rods and blanks except that they cost way more than i am willing to spend.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: February 08, 2008 09:08AM

I have built several Steffen Brothers S-glass blanks, a couple Lamiglas honey, and built or rebuilt several vintage Fenwick Ferralites. I like the Steffens the best but if you are on a tighter budget the Lamiglas is a good option. The Steffen 7034-3 is sweet. Old Fenwicks don't really come in 3wts. but if you want a 5wt. or up, they offer a fun project and a great rod. Keep in mind, contrary to what most fiberglass builders and anglers will say, fiberglass blanks are NOT generally slower action than graphite. However, they ARE typically much less powerful and much slower to damp. The CCS data I have measured on many fiberglass rods confirms this. They feel different but it's more due to power and blank material than to action.

On of my current favorite projects is a Fenwick FL-84-6F (7' 6wt.; DBI 3.6/68). This makes my point - low power but relatively fast action. Great rod, but most anglers or builders will describe it as SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. Don't be confused by the wrong terminology and have fun.

Steve

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.67.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: February 08, 2008 11:18AM

I fly fish chiefly in saltwater estuaries. In my dreams the ability of a flyrod to fight big fish will be more important than its "feel" or ability to cast a few feet further. If there is a well designed S-glass flyrod blank in 8 wt., 9 wt., or 10 wt. I wish someone would tell me?

Posted by: Jon Erbacher (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: February 08, 2008 05:56PM

i built many fenwicks years ago and the 5 wts. fished great with 3 and 4 wt. lines

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2008 11:52PM

here is a link to a series of articles on modern glass fly rods. there are three parts to the article and you can access all three with this link.

[troutunderground.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2008 11:53PM by LARRY PIRRONE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: February 09, 2008 11:52PM

Jon,
Angler's Workshop had some of the heavier powered Lamiglas blanks don't think there was anything over an 8 wt though. 2 piece 8 1/2 - 9 ft they were. Glass type, unknown.

Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2008 10:08AM

I'd consider the Steffen or for more money, a McFarland.

Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2008 02:17PM by Tim Kelly.

Posted by: Curtis Trompler (---.austinareaobgyn.com)
Date: February 11, 2008 01:59PM

I built one of the most popular lami blanks: the honey glass 3 piece 7.5' 4 weight. It's a noodle. That makes it fun for catching smaller fish, but I find it challenging to cast. It requires more finesse in timing and power application than any other rod I have cast. It doesn't have a lot of power for shooting line, either.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster