I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The first rod you built
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2008 06:00PM

Just reading a post a few down and mention was made as to wishing the first rod was kept as is to use as a gauge for progress. How many still have that first rod?? Would you be willing to show it off?? Maybe a fun thing to do at the lounge in High Point. I still got mine and still use it.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The first rod you built
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: February 07, 2008 06:30PM

Still have mine, don't use it as much as I used to. Really needs rewrapped to improve it's performance.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2008 06:31PM

My first has long been broke. And I hope on one ever sees the next two

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.62.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2008 06:51PM

I still have my first, use it and show it off. I was 12 when I built it and it won 2nd place in a competition with a Dolphin weave. I was beat only by the component suppliers daughter (she had no help from dad either). I am very proud of that rod, and its whipped more 15+ pound dolphin than I care to count. Its a 6-15# blank and I fish it with 10# mono. No special components, just very basic, but yes I love the rod.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fe.navy.mil)
Date: February 07, 2008 07:00PM

Weaving at 12? I'm 30 and still haven't brought myself to try it...... not worthy.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.62.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2008 07:20PM

Well I'm only 24 now, and it was a single layer weave, but that rod will stay like that forever. I thought about redoing it once, said nope. Happy I did that.

The first rod I rebuilt with my dad JUST got converted to a spiral wrap rod and I changed the guide wraps, but left the butt wrap intact for setimental value.

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: February 07, 2008 08:15PM

My first rod was built in 1974 when I was in jr. high school, a 7 ft. 4 wt. flyrod. My dad took me to the class. Funny thing is that the shop owner showed me a spiral wrap rod at the time...and I thought it was something from another planet. I still have the flyrod and it is in great condition.

Les

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2008 09:04PM

Still have my first rod, a Scott PowrPly 7'3 wt. I've since rebuilt it. It's a sweet little small stream rod. Made it nearly 20 years ago, rebuilt two years ago. New wraps, new seat. I get quite nostalgic when I fish it.

dave

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 07, 2008 09:32PM

The first rod I built, a spinning rod, was made out of two fiberglass blanks that I had bought from Schoffs tackle. They were in a bin, for a few bucks apiece. I took the two blanks and cut them to fit, painted the blank black, then covered it completely with flex coat. Talk about wavy finish!

This was about 20 years ago, and since then the cork handle has been chewed on by a dog, and the reel seat has loosend. I think I may repair the cork, and try to get some glue into the seat, but I won't ever do more than that. I haven't used the rod in years, and I think I may retire it and hang it on the wall!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 07, 2008 10:46PM

I wouldn't show my 1st one to my dog! LMAO!! I still have it, hanging in the rafters.

But, it caught a TON of huge smallmouth bass over it's time-jerkbait rod. Probably more than any two rods I've ever had combined..

DR

Posted by: Sam Douglas (---.94-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2008 12:31AM

Kinda still have my first one. 25 years old.

My grandson and I stripped it down except for reel seat and HE rewrapped it. Now it is his first rod. I like that..

Sam

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: February 08, 2008 09:51AM

I don't have the first one I built. It was a great rod but ugly and someone still wanted to buy it (Five Rivers Sig. V 8'9" 4wt. 3pc). I'm more addicted to changing gear to try new stuff than I am sentimental toward my old gear. The one rod I won't get rid of is my very first fly rod, which was a factory Fenwick Eagle Graphite E85-7F (8.5' 7wt.). I still have it but I stripped it and rebuilt it with a Venneri reel seat, the best cork, and single foot ceramic guides. Fish it all the time and still love it - even more now the I "built it myself".

Steve

Posted by: sam fox (204.73.103.---)
Date: February 08, 2008 09:51AM

Still got my first one, built over 30 yrs. ago, fiberglass 9 ft spin rod on a salmon blank. This was before graphite became popular. Like DR I keep it put up but every now and then I bring it out just to show how I started.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.dnr.state.md.us)
Date: February 08, 2008 01:56PM

Oh yeah, I still have my first rod and I still fish with it every year. It's a 5 weight Orvis Far-n-Fine that's over 20 years old and still going strong other than having to replace the reel seat (which had originally been shimmed with masking tape). Despite my having fished with it for thousands of hours over two decades, Steve (two posts above) has caught a bigger smallmouth on it than me! Not fair!

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: February 08, 2008 03:16PM

I am always on the lookout for that blank Mike so I can build myself one. Great rod which crossed paths with me and that fish at just the right time to make a nice memory.

Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 09, 2008 03:41AM

i dont have my first rod ever built :(

i built it about 3 months ago just after i had turned 16 and lost it over the side of a boat the first time i had used it.

got back from that trip and built another replica :D

i have since built another 4 rods and i can safely say that i am addicted.

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.direcpc.com)
Date: February 09, 2008 10:58AM

I have my first rod. I did re-wrap a couple of the worse wraps. It was a Seeker 605 Blank.

Dan Hogan

Posted by: Bill Larsen (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 09, 2008 12:32PM

First rod I did was a rebuild of a rod my two sons caught their first bluefish on at the ages of 5&6. One on the rod the other on the reel. I've got a picture of them working that fish (good stuff). My youngest son has the rod now in Florida. That rod has seen alot of fish, The "boys" are now in their 30's. Great memories.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster