I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ruined finish suggestions needed
Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 07, 2008 12:11AM

Working on a 12' surf rod with 1 foot long butt wrap ( open spider) Size A NCP underwrap, Madeira for the spider, three coats of 811 CP. Everything looked great and then I started with a first coat of Flex Coat Lite I knew almost instantly it was a mess, very blotchy. I don't think there's any saving it, when it dries I'll be stripping it and starting over.

This is the first time I've had this problem, and I'd like it to be my last. My question is this: Is there any way to know what the finished product will look like without adding the epoxy?

I'm not sure what went wrong, but I think the CP might be suspect. I've got another rod almost finished and I don't want to relive this nightmare. I can take redoing one as a good lesson, but 2 in a row might be too much to handle.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ruined finish suggestions needed
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 07, 2008 01:27AM

Never had it to happen Walt. I'm wondering if the 3 coats of 811 had anything to do with it. Maybe they didn't dry evenly.
I only use one coat of CP. I figure the second one is just going to lay on top of the first one anyway. Of course I'm just thinking out loud here.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: February 07, 2008 01:46AM

You could be right Jay, but I've been using multiple coats of CP in the past without a problem; I always felt like it was added insurance.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2008 09:03AM

Make a long underwrap and test that CP. Even if passes I still wouldnt use it LOL, its just not worth it. I wish there was a fool proof CP.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: February 07, 2008 10:21AM

Walt,
I don't think it is the CP. If you have used this CP before and you used the same technique this time, the fault lies elsewhere. I would think the packing of the thread was not tight enough. On long wraps you need to pack tightly as you wrap. Did you also burnish the wrap when you finished?

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: February 07, 2008 10:52AM

Did you happen to take the rod off the wrapper and take it with you to a burger joint like I did ? LOL.

Honestly, really sorry to hear that happened, sounds like contamination from somewhere.

Date: February 07, 2008 03:12PM

Mike,

Now that you mention it and I've had a while to go over it in my head I did wrap the underwrap with a little more tension than usual and maybe when I burnished it I didn't get everything as tight as I normally would have. I'll start the rewrap tonight and give it a test before I get in too deep.

Henry you're right, whoever comes up with a top quality CP will own the market.

Jeff, no burger grease this time. Your post from last week did make me think twice about snacking while wrapping.

Thanks for the replies.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: Ed Kindervater (---.co.chesterfield.va.us)
Date: February 07, 2008 04:33PM

Walt
The last bottle of 811 I had did the same thing. I ran multiple test wraps packed and packed the threads, burnished them and still had very bad results. I went back to some Brilliance II that I had and haven't had a problem but that is running low, I hope the Threadmaster CP comes out soon.

Ed

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2008 12:02AM

I always wondered about using this for CP. Anyoen have any thoughts on it?

[www.krylon.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2008 10:39AM

Did you ever consider the idea of using NO CP.
I read and hear report after report of folks having problems with CP.

What is your reason for using CP.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: February 09, 2008 05:55PM

gremlins. i just coated gold A thread on a dark green blank, pretty sure i packed tightly, and even burnished, but as soon as i started applying finish last night, splotches. ugh. friend's very expensive blank too... no CP. can i get a hug? i'm feeling especially vulnerable right now.

eric
fresno, ca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2008 05:55PM by eric zamora.

Date: February 09, 2008 07:18PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you ever consider the idea of using NO CP.
> I read and hear report after report of folks
> having problems with CP.
>
> What is your reason for using CP.
>
> Take care
> Roger

Roger,

I always consider no CP, I hate the unpredictibility bottle to bottle, day to day , rod to rod, but unfortunately this rod had Madiera accents over the NCP and I knew trhe Madeira would bleed. From now on I'll just wet coat the NCP with finish prior to adding Madeira accents. Heck, I don't even like NCP I think it lacks the sheen of regular nylon and takes away from a rod.

Man I've got to start leading my customers down a much more narrow path, it will save me a lot of heartache! In another post I was asking for software that would give my clients plenty of options to mull over. Maybe Henry Ford had it right a long time ago; "here it is in black, and here is another one in black" LOL

I'm a color junkie and I hope I don't find a cure, if I have to rewrap this rod 5 times to make it look the way I see it in my head I will.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster