I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mud Hole's Clout
Posted by: Bill Napier (---.)
Date: February 06, 2008 03:23PM

There was a post under this heading last week. I wondered then and wonder more now. My latest issue of Rodmaker mag arrived today and with it was packaged the new 2008 Mud Hole catalog. Odd? Why does Mud Hole rate having their magazine mailed with the mag or vice versa? What is not being told here and what is the relationship between the two if any? No offense to either party, I just wondered what the relationship would be for the magazine and the catalog to be sent in the same envelope.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mud Hole's Clout
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2008 03:32PM

I would say their clout in this case is the all mighty dollar.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2008 03:49PM

Mud Hole payed the required fee (advertising fee, insertion fee, postage fee) to have their catalog included with the magazine's most recent issue. Any other company can do the same thing if they wish and are willing to pay the required fee. That's about all there is to it.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: February 06, 2008 03:53PM

Magazines rely on advertising to make money and retailers (Mudhole) rely on advertising to get exposure, what is the problem??

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2008 03:55PM

I'm not going to complain, I wish all my RodMakers mags. came in an envolope. If they did they would come through without bent or torn pages and they would not look like 6 other people read it before I got it.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2008 03:57PM

Their clout might be the dollar, but not the almighty dollar. I have turned down the almightly dollar in more instances than you could begin to imagine.

Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: February 06, 2008 04:01PM

I thought it was GREAT! I've never seen a full color catalog with rodbuilding supplies so it was great to be able to check all of that out. Not to mention the great timing by Mud Hole sending it out right before the big show, very savy!! Now I have a tool to map out all of my purchases before I get there.

P.S. Tom - my wife is holding you soley responsible for our divorce if I drain the bank account at the show.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 06, 2008 04:25PM

So is everybody going to start taking shots at Mudhole as the Walmart of the rod building industry? Personally, I love the catalogues. I get a great look at what is available out there, especially since I don't live near a supplier where I can go handle things personally. Sometimes I order things from Mudhole, and when I do I get great service. Other times I order from numerous other sponsors on this site, and I get great service from them too.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2008 04:46PM

Mud Hole is NOT the Wal-Mart of the rod building industry ... I have been to the store many times and the bathrooms are clean and well-stocked. It is a great move on the part of both companies and it is welcomed.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 06, 2008 05:26PM

Mr. Short.

I take particular interest to the contents of your post. In the heading I note the email tag of Bank of America - I hope you will allow us to assist you in the complete draining that ACCOUNT in your quest for martial ruination! A complimentary listing of attorneys in your home state will be carefully attached to your invoice!

Swamp Boyz

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.62.---)
Date: February 06, 2008 05:34PM

Burton take your wife. This was about 8 years back at a rod get togather in WA. At that time I had just been married 6 months. Any way I had intended just to spend a few bucks. My wife Karen (some of you know her) took in all semenars and discusion panels. with what knowledge she learned she went on a spending spree. She bought at least 30 blanks of differnt searies, cartons of thread and the biggest surprise of all a Renzetti Lath. So from that point on be it a boat show, fishing show or a rod show we go as a team. I look, wish and Karen wheels and deals
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: February 06, 2008 05:45PM

Wow Bob.Thats like seeing you mother inlaw drive off a cliff in your new Mercedes.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.62.---)
Date: February 06, 2008 06:03PM

Hey My EX wife did that she had cards in my name that I did not know I had. Hey Fred my new Mother in-law Loves me She bought me a brand new 2006 Dodge Mega Cab 2yrs ago
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Napier (---.)
Date: February 06, 2008 06:24PM

I certainly didn't take any shots at Mud Hole. Please don't read things into my post that are just not there. I asked a question and Tom answered it. That's all.

Posted by: Robert Moffat (---.253.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2008 06:24PM

There is a supplier in New York that more closely resembles Wal-Mart than any thing that the Mud Hole could possibly ever do. I think that the mailing was a super idea and they are to be commended for their business savvy. I buy 99.99% of all my supplies at the Mud Hole and let me tell you people who have never delt with them that in my humble opinion, that there is not a more professional or friendly group of people in which to do business, I don't care if you are buying the smallest part or the whole inventory. Try em youll like em.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.direcpc.com)
Date: February 06, 2008 07:16PM

Hey, I like it. Now I have one copy for the "can" that I can read word for word for the next year and one on the rod bench to order from! Win, win!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2008 07:17PM by kevin knox.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 06, 2008 07:31PM

If you like their catalog check their website! I wish more businesses made it so easy to spend money!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 06, 2008 07:46PM

Great business strategy. Mudhole is a great outfit with great service and one of the FEW that understand marketing. Nothing to do with clout! They know that you have to spend money to make money and their catalog/web site should be the envy of every vendor out there. Many magazines/newspaper includecatalogs/magazines/ads etc for a price. I think it was a smart move for Tom and Mudhole and a win for builders!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.153.0.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: February 06, 2008 07:48PM

I wish mine came today !!!! It takes them a little longer to paddle mine out here to me in the swamp. By the way I think it is a great idea... so does the mail man... he will not make two trips a month !!! Maybe we need to read the rules at the top of the page before we think out loud ? This sight is too good to mess up. DoesTom and all who have put in a life time worth of information and devotion for all of us really need a statement like this ? I think not.
Tight Lines
Bill

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: February 06, 2008 07:57PM

I believe it was a great move on Mudholes part to take advantage of the opportunity to get there catalogs into the rodbuilders hands.

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com
877-875-2381

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster