I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question to Hexagraph fly rod builders
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.62.---)
Date: February 05, 2008 06:02PM

Have any of you built a fly rod on a hexograph graphite blank. About 25 years ago I saw a rod designed by Walton Powell. It was a graphite rod that look like a Bamboo rod (8 sided). Walt owned Powell Rods in Redding CA. Walt was a renowned Bamboo rod designer and builder.
Good Wraps Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question to Hexagraph fly rod builders
Posted by: Mark Griffin (63.168.104.---)
Date: February 05, 2008 06:48PM

I did. It was a bamboo looking, foam type material filed graphite type rod. This is in the early 90's, maybe, 1990 or 1991. Made it for a club member.

I don't remember much other than I wrapped in green silk, standard over the counter REC seat, burl cork tipped in wood and that was it.

Terry

Date: February 05, 2008 07:06PM

Thanks Terry

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 05, 2008 08:23PM

I was lucky enough to be given a 9ft.4/5wt. medium, they make a med. fast also, by a customer who had me build him a pair, a 7ft. 2/3wt. and a 9ft 5/6wt. I love the true medium action. It is a straight taper and will load as well with a 4wt. line as with an 8wt. I also love the way this rod protects a light tippet and has the backbone to handle a 7lb. striper, Lewis Smith lake, I never would have spent $385 for a blank, but the Hexagraph is the finest rod I ever cast, Bar None. Flat grapgite with a stiff closed cell foam layer that is supposed to emulate the inside of the bamboo with the graphite in place of the power fiber. It is now my everything 9ft. fly rod. I wish I could afford a 7ft.2/3wt. for when a shorter flyrod is better. I'm sorry if I sound like a commercial, but this is how I feel about this rod.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2008 03:13PM by Ralph Jones.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: February 06, 2008 01:50AM

They were fine, fine rods

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: sam fox (204.73.103.---)
Date: February 06, 2008 08:17AM

Bob, I've built on 2 of them. The first was a 9 ft 7 wt and the second was a 7 ft 4/5 wt. I've been very pleased with both rods but i've watched the prices rise over the years. I built both of these 10 yrs ago. The 9 footer has handled a 22 lb carp and had plenty of power. The medium actions are different than bamboo but also different from graphites, very hard to explain. If you try one you will be hooked.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (69.224.71.---)
Date: February 06, 2008 10:46AM

Bob....I wrapped a set of Powell's Hex graphite rods {4} before I ever kept records but this was when Powell first came out with the Hex blanks
and I was told by the fella who brought me these blanks that the foam did simulate the inners of a bamboo rod but that the foam was there for floatation if the rod ever fell into the water as he was told by a guy who lived in Redding, Ca.that he bought the blanks from.
To his last days on this earth he only fished with these rods and said he had tried others that never measured up...He in fact sounded alot like Ralph Jones above talking about his Powells.
To those of you rod builders who are just new to the fun...KEEP RECORDS ...you will never regret it....take this from a old goat who never did and DOE'S regret it.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Date: February 06, 2008 03:51PM

Fred I am in your boat. I keep my notes in my senial head lol
Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 06, 2008 04:41PM

Sam I never built on a Powell Blank. Around 26 or 28 years ago I saw a advertisment in a fishing tackle trade mag. Where Walton Powell said you could try his new hexagraph fly rod for free. @#$%& I jumped on that offer and called him. All Walton wanted to know was what weight rod I wanted, length and the style of reelseat. Oh yes and where to send it. He did not want any money up front. At that time I was a novus fly caster. When my fly fishing friends saw it they made fun of it untile they tried it out. But these guys about had a cow where I informed them it would cost them the rod would cost them around 350 clams. I think that was the price I quoted them. I know I paid over 225. Any I had the rod up untile 9 years ago. It dissapeared while I was going threw a devorce. I wish I had that rod back today. In its time I learned how to cast correctly and better yet that rod caught many a Steelhead. I checked with the company which is now located in Texas. They have a blank program for custom rod builders who have a business lic.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster