I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cut in Blank
Posted by: Harold Krause (192.193.221.---)
Date: February 04, 2008 11:34AM

I am doing a complete tear down of a rod. I have never removed a reel seat before. Nor have I ever used a Dremel tool. Well after borrowing the Dremel from my father-in-law, I was able to do both. The reel seat I was cutting off had the blank exposed at the bottom. In other words, the reel seat sat flush to the blank (no arbors). I was able to cut it off, but I did cut into the blank (graphite) by accident (beginner's mistake...but still learning). It is about a quarter inch long and almost through the graphite (lengthwise). It is about a foot up from the butt. The rod is very stiff and only the top third bends under reasonable stress. I have test stressed it in the area of the cut with no ill effects. I even put it on my knee and stressed in the cut area to were it felt like the rod was going to hits it's natural failing point. Again no creaks or any other signs of failure. This is going to be a rod for my older son (15). I would not use this if it was for someone other than my immediate family. I plan on building on it as it is anyway (because again I put plenty of stress on it already with no ill effects) and even told my son "Well if it snaps, we will know why".

It is 6' and I don't want to cut it any shorter. Is it ok to build on? Has anyone else "cut" a rod by mistake and still able to use it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cut in Blank
Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2008 12:17PM

Harold easiest thing to do is cut a fiberglass sleeve the same size as the reel seat, thats fits over the blank glue it in place then build as normal, no one but you will ever know the difference.
John

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2008 12:20PM

Not only will it be the easiest, it is the best method AND it will be stronger than ever. You picked the right place to do your learning, no permanent harm done.

John Britt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Harold easiest thing to do is cut a fiberglass
> sleeve the same size as the reel seat, thats fits
> over the blank glue it in place then build as
> normal, no one but you will ever know the
> difference.
> John

Posted by: Harold Krause (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2008 10:24PM

Thanks guys for the ideas. They are Great!

I guess as a beginner I really don’t have a bunch of spare blanks to choose from. I am picking out the only ones I have in the garage that are worth a tear down to learn with. So don’t have much “stock” in making sleeves with. I was very disappointed about my cut. Here are the pictures (seen under miscellaneous) to see what I have done. Sorry about the quality.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Like I said I put it under pretty strong stress to see if it would fail. It did not after many attempts.

I know there is no answer to this question, but what are the chances that it is going to fail. Making a sleeve is a huge set back. I’m willing to do it; it’s just going to take me a long time to find a suitable “patch”.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2008 11:17PM

Since you put it under "pretty strong stress" by hand and without a reel seat ... IMO, just go about business as usual. The added strength of the reel seat and arbor will add to what seemingly is durable enough already. Do use a suitable arbor material - graphite foam, polyurethane foam or fiberglass tape (drywall) ... don't use masking tape.

Posted by: Harold Krause (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2008 11:58AM

Thanks Jim,

You have a good point. Where the cut is there is going to be the reel seat right over it. I can imagine the area coated with epoxy surrounded by the new reel seat should help strengthen it.

I really did flex it as hard as I could without it hitting it’s natural breaking point and it holds strong. It is in the last foot of a very stiff rod and it does not really even flex were the cut is anyway.

If anything this will be part of my learning experience. This was just an old throw away rod anyway (that is until I started building…now there is no such thing as a throw away rod in my eyes). I really don’t have a lot of money to spend on this addiction because I do have a wife and kids. I need to spend my money on other things. Hard to justify why I need more rods when I already have about 20 in the garage (that’s why kids rods are cool, the wife has no objections if it’s for the boys). My skills are not good enough to be tearing down all the rod rods I have. Most of them are in perfect shape. I guess that is why refurbishing old rods is so appealing to me. Not only do I get to practice and learn, so far the couple I have done came out really nice. They have a whole new life and I didn’t spend more than $20.00 on each one. This one too will have the “average” components. If it does fail, again I learned the true failure rate of a mistake like this, and I won’t be out much money (low cost reel seat and grip, I can always reuse the guides).

Thanks again for your help!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2008 11:09AM

Harold,
In the future, of you do any more of these tear downs, you might try the following.

Go ahead and use a dremel or band saw to trim down the reel seat.
I generally cut it on both sides of the blank. Then, I put a couple of screw drivers in the slot that is cut down near, but not through the blank.
Then, twist the screw drivers, and the blank, will split and pop off the blank.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster