I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

3. mm/3.5 mm Micro guide testing surprising results.
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2008 05:56PM

I spent the afternoon testing the differences in casting and handling between the two sizes using 50 lb braid, and am some what surprised by my results.

Rods design purpose:
It is being designed as duel purpose rod.
First; for in tight casting/pitching in heavy cover using 30-40 lb braid
Second; as a swimbait rod for throwing 4-6’ swim baits on 15-20 fluorocarbon
( I did not do any testing with the floro because I have been using floro’s on rods with guides down to 2mm for over a year now and know from experience the rod will function flawlessly in that capacity

Components

Blank:
Batson: RX8+C865 heavy action fast blank; designed as a workhorse blank
(Jig / Slop / Frog) for pulling fish out from heavy cover and grass mats.

Guides
Batson: Alps #8 double ft stripper guide all single after that 5mm 4mm and 5- 3mm or 3.5mm (the only guides I changed were the 5 runner’s) kept the locations the same
Blanks weight rating 3/8 to 1-1/4 oz.

Reel: Shimano Core 7.1 flipping version, this is also a workhorse reel with only 4 bearings designed for battling heavy cover. (I an a little disappointed with the reel and think some of the results I received were because of exceeding the reels limitations)
When using this rod for swim bait I will most likely be using a different reel that performs better for that function.

NOTES: neither the reel nor the blank are designed for long range casting, but more for in close tough hand to hand combat.

Line: Spider wire 50 lb braided Stealth, (brand of preference).

Casting weights:
¼ oz .lead weight, and a 1/2oz flipping jig-no trailer

I use ¼ oz .lead weight to test all my rods regardless of their weight rating-it keeps my results consistent and I know what to expect from different series of blanks.
NOTES:
In the 10-4 article in rod maker, it said I use a 1/2oz. But that was a typing error on my part.
Did not adjust reels casting controls at all after first time felt I would create too many variables.
½ oz flipping jig; to give me some real world results as that is what will be on the rod most of the time when pitching.
Both weights at the lower end of the blank’s rating

Actual test: stand at predetermined point make mutable over hand casts, and under hand pitches down range. Places flags were weights land, measure and record average results

Results;
Pitching
3mm ¼ oz.-----50.5 ft.__________3.5mm ¼ oz --------38.5 ft
3mm1/2 jig----61. ft.__________3.5mm ½ jig--------57 ft.

Casting
3mm ¼ oz-----116 ft.___________3.5mm ¼ oz-------126
3mm ½ jig-----116 ft___________3.5mm ½ jig--------125

NOTES;
The fact that the ¼ oz weight actually casts further then the ½ oz jig using the 3.5mm guides leads me to speculate it is the reel limiting the casts. I could be wrong not sure.

What surprised me the most was in the pitching test was that the 3mm guides out performed the 3.5mm guides by a large percentage.

When pitching with the ¼ oz weight and 3.5mm guides I had less control then with the 3mm’s and lost accuracy consistently landing left of my cast area.
I’m thinking what Bobby had said in an earlier post that “the smaller guides cut sown on line slap” may have something to do with it, and may also have something to do with the casting distances.

Also did some side arm roll type rifle casting which is how I will be casting a lot when skipping jigs up under docks and over hanging shore line cover. Did not take any measurements so all I can say is that this is one awesome blank, it’s a broom stick but has enough tip to absolutely riffle bait.

So the choice; go for the little larger 3.5mm guides for the extra 10 ft of casting distance that I don’t need with this rod, along with the extras weight.
Or the 3mm guides for the accuracy and control I want when pitching into cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2008 05:59PM by Steve Gardner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3. mm/3.5 mm Micro guide testing surprising results.
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2008 09:35PM

steve i would love to see that rod. can you bring it to the show?

Date: February 03, 2008 11:45PM

Yes I will have it at the show.

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 04, 2008 08:05AM

Steve

Good job.

Since I don't have your procedures and controls (otherwise I would do it myself), please consider trying the experiment with all 3mm's and all 3.5mm's. No step down guides.

Thanks for sharing.

Date: February 04, 2008 08:11AM

Bobby;
I just finished the handle on one yesterday that I am considering using all 3mm on, so I might do some more testing with the 3.5mm.

The reason for starting with the 8mm guide on this rod is because I may be flipping with it from time to time and wanted the finger clearance between line and the blank.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 04, 2008 12:02PM

Makes me wonder how much it changes on casting stepping up to 4s. Could the micros not be a good choice for max casting distance?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: February 04, 2008 12:34PM

I don't think Steve or anyone else has ever claimed they were the right choice for maximum casting distance. I'm going back to when I met & spoke to Steve last year, and I got the feeling was if there is any loss of distance with teh tiny guides, it is negliigible becasue you can cast far enough with them.

Date: February 04, 2008 01:23PM

Alex;
I don’t think there is or would be. I purposely used 50 lb in an effort to max out the 3mm guides capabilities. And because another builder specifically ask me about that size line
This rod will most likely never see 50 lb braid in real life usage. 30 lb most of the time and maybe and occasional 40 lb for one particular lake I fish.

On other rods I have 6'6" to 7' long with anything from 10lb fluorocarbon to 20 lb braid and guide sizes down to 2mm they out cast every other rod I use.
If I was looking for casting distance? In this instance, my first choice would be to change out the reel then the blank. Before using a larger guide. Going from 3mm to 4mm almost doubles the weight of them.

For the record took and weighed the 3mm on a jewelers scale last week

It takes 6- black framed Zirconium 3mm guides to weight 0.3 grams
And 5- black frames TiN Gold 3mm guides to weight about the same (I say about the same because the scale was flocculating between 0.28 and 0.3 grams)

Realistically your thread and epoxy you use may weigh more then the guides

Date: February 04, 2008 01:27PM

double posted, my bad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2008 04:40PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 04, 2008 02:12PM

Makes sense to me. Thanks for taking the time to post all that.

Posted by: Bartosz Burski (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: September 22, 2008 10:00AM

Steve,
Could you tell me how was the rods wrapped? Spiral or conventional? How to avoid line scrub with such small guides?
Which brands sell 2 & 3 sized guides?
Thanks in advance

Regards,
Bartek

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster