I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Making plug for hole left in grip - help!
Posted by: Carrington Tate (63.147.73.---)
Date: February 01, 2008 02:36PM

Happy Friday!

I need to make a plug for the hole left in the butt end of a spinning grip. The grip and the plug will be of regular burl cork.

What technique do you use to make the plug fit well and leave no gaps?

I have done this once before and it came out perfect, can't even tell there is a plug, but feel i just got lucky!

I cut the plug a little oversize, then forced it into the opening. After letting the glue cure, sanded it flush. How do you guys do it?

Thanks, have a great weekend

Carrington

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making plug for hole left in grip - help!
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 02:40PM

I use a plug cutter to make the plug for wooden grips but a piece of tubing of the proper size that is sharpened and used as a punch may work better in burl cork.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2008 02:51PM

depnding on the size you need, if you have an old metal bodied writing pen unscew and use the lower half. to punch out your plug with

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 01, 2008 03:09PM

I get better results by making a plug,and make it a bit over sized, than mixing cork dust and glue. Make you a plug cutter. You will like the results better.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: February 01, 2008 03:49PM

Home Depot carries cork plugs in various sizes. Just glue it in the butt, let it dry, cut the excess and lightly sand. It helps if you pull your rear grip 1/8" beyond the butt of the rod so you can't see the blank between the plug and the bottom of the grip. OR you could buy a butt plug and it will cover the blank also.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.50.108.216.auroracollege.com)
Date: February 01, 2008 04:03PM

I drill the butt end out with a flex coat bit to either 5/8" or 3/4" and then using a plug cutter of the correct size cut a plug to fit.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Date: February 01, 2008 04:52PM

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it. I'm going to get some tubing and make a cutter.

Thanks

Carrington

Date: February 01, 2008 05:11PM

Wait a minute,,,Have I been doing this wrong all along ??? If I'm building a cork grip the butt ring is the last thing that goes on, everything else is on , dried , and finished. I never open up the hole my butt cap. If the rings come with a 1/4 in hole then the butt ring gets a 1/4 in plug. I don't ream that ring out. I will open the hole up only half a ring thickness and fit it over the 1/4 in of blank that is sticking out beyond the grip. I will turn the OD of that ring with the rest of the grip, but it is not glued to the rest of the grip. It will be plugged and glued on last. Am I doing it the hard way ??

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: February 01, 2008 06:00PM

Jay, not sure what the "right way" is!

I have only been building 3-4 yrs, but i always build the grip whole and mount it on the blank. Usually i use a coin or something similar to inlet in the end of the grip. Your way seems like a good way, as you only have to plug the 1/4" hole in the cork ring and not the larger hole i created by reaming the cork to fit the blank. Maybe we will get more replies on how others finish out the grips.

Carrington

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 06:13PM

Jay,
If you're doing it wrong then so am I. I hope there's someone out there to set us straight.

Date: February 01, 2008 06:27PM

If I'm building a casting rod I use a little bungee cord to hold the butt ring in place while it dries, using Rod bond on the butt ring. I hook each end of the bungee on the trigger, clean up the Rod Bond, make sure it's lined up and let her set. If it's a Spinning rod I mount a reel and hook the bungee on the stem of the reel. I don't like using the cork clamp any more than I have to. And the butt plugs are no bigger than the original hole in the cork ring. And it's always a smooth hole which makes plugging it neater.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 11:45PM

I have always used cartridge casings to cut my plugs...They work great and are free at the range.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Matt Davis (64.118.9.---)
Date: February 02, 2008 10:13AM

I take a circle template and put it up to the hole. I find the circle that is two sizes larger than the hole. My template is in 64ths. Then I draw that circle on a rubberized cork disk. With a chisel blade in a large X-acto knife I chunk out an 8 or 10 sided plug. With a block of wood with 80 grit sandpaper double back taped to it I sand the plug round, sanding right up to the line. With the chisel I score a line around the plug that will seat against the blank when inserted. The from the side of the plug that goes inside the blank, I remove some more material so it will fit inside the blank. Finally I Rod Bond that in place.

It almost takes longer to type that description than to actually make the plug. Its quick and simple and I can do it in just a minute or two.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2008 01:28PM

You can also create a plug with dust and titebond glue or epoxy (rod bond or your favorite).

Create a pile of dust by sanding the cork that matches your end ring, burl, rubberized, etc. Make more than you need, you can always use it later. I do this by mounting a ring on a mandrel and turning it under 150 grit sandpaper and catch the pile on a sheet of paper.

Mix the dust with Titebond III or elmers wood glue in a very thick paste. Use just a little glue and a lot of dust. Plug the hole with a wad of tape coated in epoxy. Pack the hole with the paste mixture and make the end a little rounded. When cured, just sand off flush with the butt ring and you are done. No cutting needed.

Just another way to finish. If I have a big hole on the end, I'll turn a plug out of either a rubberized ring or burl to match the end ring. I use a bastard file on an angle to make the plug and ensure the top of the plug is larger than the hole. Glue in the plug and finish the 1/4" hole as in the above. Looks great.

Terry

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: February 03, 2008 02:01PM

I buy tiny cork bobbers from Reinke Brothers , a tackle making store that carries EVERYTHING,, there are several sizes in the cork bobbers, all tapered, works out well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster