I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

help selecting 2 pc crankbait rod blank
Posted by: Mike Riedel (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 01:12PM

Ok I have just repaired a few guides on some of my rods and feel the urge try building a whole rod.
I am wanting to build a rod for medium sized cranks and spinnerbaits, I need some help trying to pick out a blank with the right action for this use, The only thing I'm set on is that it be a 2 piece. I would like a 7' but 6'6" would be ok, I'm going to make a casting rod,
I've noticed some manufacturers list casting blanks seperateley for spinning blanks ,can a spinning blank be used in casting rod applications? Any input is appreciated considering I really don't know what I'm doing. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help selecting 2 pc crankbait rod blank
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2008 01:19PM

Mike,

Absolutely they can. The blank doesn't know what it's gonna be. Just make sure to get the blank with the action that you want. Others will be able to suggest that better than me.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 01:24PM

The Batson Rainshadow SP843 for lighter 6-12 # line, 1/8-3/8 oz lure,
or IP843F 8-14 #l line, 1/4-5/8 oz lure might work well for you.

Here are some links;
[www.schneidersrods.com]
[www.schneidersrods.com]
There is also a 3 pc SP844F-3

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 04:00PM

Rod Blank Model # Rainshadow IP843F or IP844F
Butt cap: EVABC20
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: RG7A-345
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GTBTG16C-10.5-TC
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: FG200A-250
Winding Check: BWC10
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top XTCPPLT06R05.0
1st guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
2nd guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
3rd guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
4th guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
5th guide from tip top: XPTCFZG07
6th guide from tip top: XPTCFZG08
7th guide from tip top: XTCLXNZG10
8th guide from tip top: XTCLXNZG10
9th guide from tip top: XTCLXNZG12
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 3.75-7.75-12-16.5-21.5-27-33.5-41.125-50

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2008 04:57PM

Mike;
If you are building these for bass fishing?

You need two different blanks to be really satisfied with the end product. What makes a good crank bait blank is not the best choice to a spinner bait blank and vise versa.
Based on this info
Karry and Ron have in my opinion given you one of the best choices for a crank bait blank in the Rainshadow IP843F or IP844F models

But for a spinner bait blank you would be better off with a med to med heavy with a faster action (depnding on the weight of spinner bait you typically throw)

Spinner baits are used a lot in target situations and the faster blank will support you in both your accuracy, and in moving a fish out of a piece of structure.

Date: January 31, 2008 05:54PM

Thanks for the input guys!
Yes, Steve, bass will be the main target for this rod. I have a med power fast action spinning that I will keep using for spinner baits for the time. I am also thinking about getting a medium heavy , fast action for worms and jigs would it be a good choice for spinnerbaits also?
Ok guys,I've got another question what are the pros and cons of glass vs graphite?

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 06:16PM

Glass vs Graphite? Really depends on how your fishing but here is a pro for graphite crank bait blanks since we are on that topic.The Rainshadow Crank bait blanks and popping are designed using small tooling (Manderals) and a high resin graphite for a softer feel and slower action. This blank would feel similare to a glass rod without the weight and would be more sensitive. As fare a strength pro using the smaller tooling with thicker wall graphite makes them very durable. Over all if weight and sensitivity is not an issue then glass has its place in the crank bait world and we do sell a few of the SPG models for that situation. Personaly I prefer lighter weight and more sensitvity with similare action as glass and that was our intension when we designed CB and IP models.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: January 31, 2008 06:50PM

You need 2 rods for spinnerbaits and worms/etc. for no other reason than the downtime of switching from one to the other. Another reason is a lot of times you'll get short strikers or just followers to your spinnerbait that will climb all over a worm or jig thrown in their area. I usually use one power less rod for spinnerbaits than worm and jigs.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2008 06:55PM

Again I am with Karry on this
The supposed advantages of fiberglass are that it reacts a little slower and gives the fish more time to inhale the bait before you sense the bite, and bends way down into the blank allowing the rod to absorb the shock of the fish providing for a little more forgiveness while using smaller treble hooks.

With the design of the more modern blanks like the Batson’s that Karry is referring to, those features IMO are built into the blank with out the disadvantages of Fiberglass. Those disadvantages being weight and lack of sensitivity.

Graphite pros; On a well built rod also includes being in touch with what your bait is doing because of the increased sensitivity, knowing when your line is rubbing over a limb, knowing when and what your bait is coming in contact with, be it mud, grass, rock, stumps, lips, ect.. I have watched under water footage of bass inhaling a crank bait and spitting it out with out the person on the other end even feeling it. So I want the most sensitive rod I can get my hands on and put the odds in my favor.

Med/heavy fast is a good choice for a spinner bait rod.

For a worm rod and some times a jig rod (depending on what I'm fishing) I prefer an extra fast tip. Because I use a brisk hard snap type of hook set, and want the extra stiffness to help drive the hook home.

At other times especially fish jigs in heavy cover for larger fish and pitching I prefer the type of action covered in this post [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 09:11PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 10:03PM

Mike,
I wish I could add something to what has already been said but it has already been covered. That is very good advice you got. I seriously doubt that you can go wrong with the choice of blanks mentioned and their intended purposes.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 11:39PM

Mike, you've received some good advice so far. I can second the Batson Rainshadow IP843 as a crank blank. However, if your "medium" cranks are heavier than mine you might want to go with the 844. The SB or ISB 783 or 843 would make a pretty decent spinnerbait rod. I like medium power extra fast tip for jig worms and shakey heads. If you're texas rigging you'll want more power to set the hook - a 3 or 4 power blank. Batson makes a nice straight blank for a nice price.

I'm not sure how much you know about building, but you might want to purchase Rod-Building Guide: Fly, Cast, Spin - A Great book by Tom Kirkman, Editor and Publisher of RodMaker Magazine and the man that provides this forum.

The sponsors on the left support this site so we like to support them, and they welcome phone calls. Just make sure you have time to talk because they are very generous with their time!

You can find loads of information by using the search function. If you can't find it there, someone here will help out.

Chuck

Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 04:32PM

The Batson graphite blanks have a great following and thats understandable. However, I still have a preference for fiberglass rods -can anyone suggest a couple of all fiberglass blanks that should be considered for a 7' crank bait rod? I know that St Croix builds one but I know there have to be others? Thanks.

Tim

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 04:58PM

Tim -- Of the all fiberglass blanks that I know of and carry are the St. Croix you mentioned. Batson also has a full line-up of 7 ft. glass blanks that work great for crankbaits that I carry and I also carry several models by Lamiglas that are all-glass and some new models that are graphite/glass composite blanks that are fantastic crankbait models. Those composites have a graphite butt to reduce weight and a glass tip for the soft tip flex. If you would like to know more about any these products that I carry, just give me a call at 931-684-6164.

Bob Mckamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: February 01, 2008 07:24PM

The really great glass crankbait blanks I know of are all one piece. Bob at Custom Tackle probably has some or all of them. I like the Seeker BS706 in S-Glass and the Lamiglas SMB 841 and SSP 845 or 6 which were also available in S-Glass. Lots of anglers really love the Seeker,I think Bingham's also has a few Seekers in their specials or bargain basement section.
I think Tackle Tour also reviewed one of George's custom Seekers a few years ago. The Lamiglas MB 841 is the blank used in the Skeet Reese cranking sticks, but I think they are E glass now, may have never been the S-glass version in the factory rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2008 10:02PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: February 04, 2008 10:33AM

Thankyou everyone for the advise. The Batson blank fits my specs the closest, so I think That is what I will probably go with. Thanks again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster