I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

eating at the expo - Ribs - BBQ place
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: January 31, 2008 10:42AM

Help me out with the name of this place.... I am trying to tell a 1st time attendee the name of this eatery.
You walk out the front door of the Raddisson. You are on south main street. You turn right and take that road and on that stretch of road before you would turn right to get back to the airport (Greensboro) there is a BBQ joint on the right. Anyone know the name of it? Any other places to eat that are easy to find? Need directions please.
Thanks,
Buzz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: eating at the expo - Ribs - BBQ place
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2008 11:43AM

Kepley's Barbeque is about a mile or so north of the Radisson on Main Street. They're in an old metal building that looks a little like a quanset hut. They serve what we call "Eastern NC" style barbeque. There are plenty of other places in town that serve the Lexington style, if you want that.

North Main street about a mile to 3 miles north of the Radisson is covered up with about any style restaurant you want. Close to the Radisson itself, you have J. Basul Nobles that is world famous (and very expensive), Jimmy's Pizza one block north and a small diner one block south. Highway 68 (Eastchester Drive) between the Radisson and the airport is 7 or 8 miles of maybe 100 restaurants of every conceivable type food you could ask for.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: January 31, 2008 12:06PM

I know this is not a food forum, but can someoen briefly tell me the difference between Eastern & Lexington style BBQ? NOt being from the area, can someoen who is familiar with and has eaten at one of the BBQ's Tom is referring to please e-mail me a recommendation? I'm going to be in HIgh Point with Dave Boyle for a couple of days after the show. Thank you.

PS: Tahnks to Lynn huffman who brought me BBQ pork a few years ago in CHarlotte.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: January 31, 2008 01:34PM

Billy,

This website seems to have a rather exhaustive description of both NC BBQ styles:

[hkentcraig.com]

(my mouth is watering!)

Enjoy,

Walt

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: January 31, 2008 01:41PM

Walt, that is much appreciated. I had Lex style last time. My wife is driving to NC later today, maybe she'll bring me back a sandwich Sunday night when she returns.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: January 31, 2008 02:01PM

Maybe she could swing by CA and drop off one for me?

One of the worst things about being on the left coast (other than the fruits and nuts) is the serious lack of BBQ!

Walt

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.southslope.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 04:26PM

Walt Natzke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe she could swing by CA and drop off one for
> me?
>
> One of the worst things about being on the left
> coast (other than the fruits and nuts) is the
> serious lack of BBQ!

The worst thing about living in the Midwest, besides the cold ice and snow is getting fat off all them ribs and brisket. YUM YUM

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 07:51PM

But do they deliver? .......its still BBQ.

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 10:19PM

Mike,I`ll have a vehicle so we can do take out!!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 10:42PM

Billy,

Teh barbecue we had that night was Lexington barbecue from "Lexington Barbecue" on I-85, owned by Wayne Monk ( third generation) who has been on national TV several times. Basically, Lexington barbecue has a sauce based on ketchup, vinegar, water, and pepper. Eastern NC barbecue has a sauce based on vinegar, brown sugar, pepper, but NO tomato. I served the same barbecue at the NC Rodbuilder's get-together that I had several years before that. Seems like all rodbuilders instinctively know and like good barbecue.

Lynn Huffman
LH Custom Rods

Posted by: John Broughton (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: February 01, 2008 01:06AM

STOP IT you guys, I'm trying to loose weight and your'e
comparing types of barbeque! The worst bar b que I had
was so good I could hardly stand it! Beats @#$%& out of celery
and lettuce!!!

John

Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2008 02:33AM

Carter's Barbeque. 2 locations, one on main street in high point about 1 mile from the Raddisson, the other one block off hwy 68 near wendover ave. I ate there last saturday. Good bbq and desserts. Cobblers and 3 and 4 layer cakes. Hum,Hum.

Roger
Greensboro, NC

Date: February 01, 2008 09:45AM

The place Lynn is talking about is probably the best Lexington style that you can find. It's about 15 to 20 minutes from High Point straight south down I85. If you really like Barbeque, it's worth the drive.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 04:02PM

Now I'm really hungry....I'm going down to the local pub for lobster and fresh steamers. Thanks for the info and explanation of the BBQ options. Fred, I buy you fly?? lol.

Posted by: John Richardson (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: February 02, 2008 09:00PM

This is an OK description of both styles of BBQ. However, the author made NO mention of the differences in cole slaw. Lexington BBQ uses a red slaw that has a peppery, vinigery base and not mayonnaise.

Here is a list of restaurants in Lexington:

[www.davidsoncountync.com]

However, as a native of Guilford County, I tend to favor Stamey's in Greensboro across from the Greensboro Colesium. I was shocked to find that they had a website. They also have some of the best hush-puppies going.

[www.stameys.com]

If you do go to Stamey's, make sure to get whatever cobbler they have that day.

I've been to a number of the best spots in eastern NC - Wilbur's and Parkers - but my heart and taste buds remain loyal to Lexington BBQ and especially Stamey's.

John

> Billy,
>
> This website seems to have a rather exhaustive
> description of both NC BBQ styles:
>
> [hkentcraig.com]
>
> (my mouth is watering!)
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Walt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2008 09:01PM by John Richardson.

Date: February 03, 2008 11:57AM

Mr. Barbeque in Winston Salem on Peter's Creek Parkway is pretty darn good, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster