I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decals with Inkjet
Posted by: Harold Blair (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 10:19AM

So I would like to make some rod decals with my HP Photosmart C4180 inkjet printer. I have the proper clear paper for waterslides. I have attempted to use both the standard HP ink and their photo quality ink to no avail. The label looks great on the paper but when transferred to the rod, it basically disappears. Also it does not make any difference as to what color I print the label. I understand the issue is associated with the amount/type of color placed on the paper. I have followed all the recommendations regarding dpi, saturation, etc but still no luck. Anyone have suggestions (other than purchase the labels from Decal Connection which I already do?) Is there a special type of ink I can get/order that will work. I refill my own ink cartridges so putting a different ink in would not be a problem.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decals with Inkjet
Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 10:37AM

I just print mine on good white paper as outlined in the Rodmaker article and get good results that way. I'm surprised that an inkjet will print anything on a slick water decal paper.

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.ip.alltel.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 11:45AM

Harold

My guess is that you have a paper issue rather than an ink issue. I use [www.texascraft.com] paper with an HP 5180c inkjet.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: Kevin Graybeal (---.128.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2008 11:55AM

Harold,
The clear waterslide paper won't work unless you put the decal over a light colored background. Inkjet pigments are translucent and made to be used with white paper. If you don't mind cutting the decal out from its background, you can apply it onto any colored surface IF you print them useing the White background waterslide paper. The Clear paper works ONLY with a VERY light background -i.e. silver, gold, white, etc.

This is the only way (useing an Inkjet printer)

Kevin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 12:09PM by Kevin Graybeal.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2008 12:04PM

You may be faced with wrapping a light colored thread on the blank in the area where you plan to put the inscription, finishing it, and then applying your decal.

Posted by: chuck brown (---.static.networktel.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 12:45PM

Harold,
Full color decals have got to br printed with a white background otherwise they will disappear. The white helps reflect the color. This is what we have found by trial and error.

Chuck Brown
Decal Connection

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 12:48PM

Harold on that Lami you have do an underwrap with metallic silver and top with NCP white and a coat of Flex Coat Color preserver. This will give you a stark white background in order to place a colored decal without loss of color.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2008 02:09PM

I did the same thing on the clear.. You need the white colored decal paper, After printing when the ink dries you have to spray it with clear to seal it then apply to rod........

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 08:40PM

This should help you out.

[cabochonrods.com]

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 12:34AM

I do labels with my inkjet and the comments above are correct and Dave's tutorial is gerat. The ink is transparent and the colors beneath your clear waterslide will show through so you need lots of contrast. Black ink shows up well against light pastels but other colors will take on a tint from them. The white label paper provides the contrast through the opaque white paper backing.

You can get some really neat effects with the clear paper. Try printing a label that can wrap around the blank using a print area that is a black background with white lettering. The white lettering is clear and the thread beneath the label shows through so you end up with a black decal and the words formed by the under wrap. This same technique works with shillouette images too; I took a black and white image of a bass and reversed it so it was a negative image and I put that into the black print area with the text; with the label placed over HT gold thread I had the lettering and bass standing out in bright shiney gold. Black lettering and images with a clear background look great when put over a light metalic under wrap with a thick coat of epoxy; it looks like the images are floating in thin air. When using colors you'll need to consider the the under wrap color will add a tint; the eyes tend to compensate for it some though.

Do try the white waterslide paper too. With this you won't need to worry about the background colors because they won't show through the paper backing. The edges of your label will be white even if you printed a black background. You can color the edges with a marker to match the ink but go lightly so the marker ink doesn't bleed into the label too much. You may also want to give the label another shot of fixative so the marker ink doesn't bleed into the epoxy.

When you print you should use the "Photo" print seting rather than "Plain Paper". Take your time with the process and make sure everything is dry before you move on to the next step. I use a bottled fixative and I also have the spray. The bottled stuff will give you a much thicker coat resulting in a thicker label that is easier to manipulate on the blank but it is bulky and the edges are are more likely to curl. With the spray fixitive I find that an initial thin coat, let dry, followed by a thicker coat works well for me. The spray fixative labels, especially with the clear paper, will be very thin and easily torn or stretched so you need to be careful when placing the label.

When you're printing a label that will wrap around the blank keep in mind that the rod tapers. Your label may wrap around the blank and meet its other side perfectly at one end and the other end will have a gap. With the thin labels you can just print the labels oversized and overlap some without it looking bad. The thicker labels can be trimmed on the blank if you're carefull. If you have printing or lines on your label right up to the eges that meet on the backside then you'll notice that they aren't parallel once the label is wrapped around the tapered rod. You can try measuring the taper and angling your text or lines to match or you can simply print seperate (thin) labels and collage them.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Harold Blair (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 09:03AM

Want to thank all of you for the great comments. Will sort through the various suggestions and see which work for me. Thanks again.

Posted by: Kevin Graybeal (---.128.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2008 10:08AM

James, what bottled fixative do you use?

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2008 04:06PM

Hi Harold,

After printing your decals did you spray a coat of clear finish over the decals?

I really don't know if this makes any different or not but I purchase my paper from The Decal Connection. It stated made for ink jet printers. The only problems I've had is not applying a good coverage of clear coat after printing.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2008 04:13PM by Milton (Hank) Aldridge.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2008 11:28PM

The bottled fixative I use is from Papilio, it's Dioctyl Phthalate. Don't ask me how to pronounce it :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster