I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

WALMART EPOXY
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: January 30, 2008 04:52PM

I was just wondering do i have to use rod epoxy to put on my handle and reel seat. Can i use just good ol' walmart 2 part epoxy for this? ike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WALMART EPOXY
Posted by: Russ Pollack (198.139.109.---)
Date: January 30, 2008 05:14PM

If you're talking about the DEVCO (or a name similar to that) that comes in a two-tube dispenser and in 5-minute or a "2-ton" (24-hr) versions, ys, you can - we did it for many years. The stuff costs about $2.97 per tube round here.

However, make sure you get the one that says "water proof". It's sort of clear in the tubes.

It seems less expensive than the bulk 2-part epoxies you can order from the various sponsors, but actually it's not - used properly, the various epoxies offered here are just about as cost-effective as the WalMart stuff. But it's real convenient to get.

Other folks might have some other suggestions that can be had in the Lowes, HD, or even WalMart stores. But I've come to like the specialty products, like Rod Bond and Andy Dear's gels for the strength, workability, and waterproof qualities. Another one we like is the AmTak stuff that is actually a 2-to-1 mix.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 30, 2008 05:18PM

Hey Uncle Russ,

What Am Tak stuff is 2 to 1 mix? By Am Tak, are you refering to American Tackle? If not, where do you get it, and is it an epoxy?

Thanks,
Marc

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2008 07:47PM

I noticed that the craft specific epoxies seem to allow the EVA to slide easier on the blank. They are a little more "greasy" for lack of a better word.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2008 07:56PM

The Swifty Hypalon adhesive is slicker than slick ... [www.swiftymfg.com].

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 30, 2008 08:32PM

I use the 5 minute epoxy from WalMart, that has the mixing nozzles included. This is the best I have found, for applying epoxy in tight places, such as filling the top part of blank exposed reel seats. For really tight places, I have shaved some of the outside of the nozzle off.

Chris

Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2008 09:31PM

The Swifty Hypalon adhesive is slicker than slick

That is funny, what adhesive in its liquid form isn't. I dont care if it is an amine based 2 part, poylester with MEKP, a vinylester they all are slick when wet. Dude you are not a chemist are you? I do appreciate the plug though. Nice not having any shame in your game. Sorry just had to say something. I thought it was a funny posting. All glues or adhesives for that application are slick when wet. And there is no reason to worry about which is slicker, because things that make other things slick usually have adverse affects to things that end up very sticky. Not to say the plastics aren't there to say it can't happen, but it is not cost effective for rod building.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2008 09:36PM

Bryan - why the personal attack on him? I for one find it in very poor taste. Grow up.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 31, 2008 01:19AM

Bryan,
You're not only being offensive, but you're making no sense!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2008 01:58AM

Ike,

I've always used the Devcon epoxies for rod building.

They work just fine.

I know that they aren't as 'cost effective' as many of the rod building specific, or even industry sized packaged epoxies.

But I like the convenience. If I need more, I can have it in a few minutes, not have to wait for it to be shipped.

I'm sure that the 'rod building industry' specifically designed adhesives may be stronger, last longer, or more resistant to water/sun/cold/heat, but so far the Devcon has worked, and at some point, strong enough is fine.

We are just building fishing rods, how good does it have to be?

Buddy Sanders

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 31, 2008 02:57AM

Ike;
I always use U40 Rod Bond for installing grips and seats . It wont run and drip like Devcon 2 part epoxy, easier to clean up. But the 2 part, 2000 lb Devcon from Walmart will work just fine. Use it if you want, it's just a little messy. Personally I would not use the 5 minute epoxy for installing grips and seats, just in case I had to move something after I got it on. I might not catch it in time.

And Bryan , I think Jim Gamble deserves an apology. Your post was totally obnoxious and unnecessary.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: January 31, 2008 11:40AM

i personally was just looking for a good 5 minute epoxy not the most patient man in the world (heck maybe i shouldn't even be making rods then) i don't really like waiting a whole day for that sucker to be glued on. i appreciate your suggestions and comments. ike

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 01:27PM

Ike - good things come to those who wait :-)

Date: January 31, 2008 03:21PM

rich that is probably very true. toshea?

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 31, 2008 11:54PM

Ike, as you know I research the heck out of everything. Having said that...try Andy's 15 minutes gel epoxy. You won't be sorry.

5 minute epoxy can start to set before you're ready. That is not good for a man with no patience. It will take a lot of careful work to undo what you just screwed up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster