I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another tiny guide question
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 29, 2008 12:04PM

Saw the post about 15# mono going through a 3.5 guide. If you used 3.5 on the say last 4 guides, how would you size the first few guides and do the step down to 3.5? Use a 7' casting rod for example.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another tiny guide question
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: January 29, 2008 12:23PM

Can't answer that, but I can tell you that 10# Fireline goes from a 2000 sized spinning reel through a REC 20, 12, 6 and through size 2.5mms without a hitch. I am well aware Mono is a totally different animal, but I cannot answer that.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 29, 2008 12:58PM

I 've used nothing smaller than #6 running guides so far but this sounds interesting. For #10 and heavier monofilament I use #7 or #8 running guides and tip ring to get the best casting distance. I can see using these tiny guides for #2 or #4 lb. mono, maybe #6, but isn't there a point of diminishing return on guide size? I know the small hole in the front of a push button (spincast) reel is an extreme bottleneck but they tend to cast pretty well anyway. Help me out here.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Date: January 29, 2008 01:07PM

RAlph, help yourself and buy a set of smaller guides, and see if they work better.

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.ip.alltel.net)
Date: January 29, 2008 01:32PM

Alex

I've settled on all 3.5's with no step down. Works great and gives a uniform straight line path where each step down guide creates a slight re-direction of the line. Probably doesn't make a lot of difference in casting distance but there is some weight difference.

Ralph

Sure there will be a point of diminishing returnes but you would have to get the ring ID fairly close to the line OD to have much effect. Think of it as a circle in a circle, no matter the sizes there is still only one contact point until the two sizes become close.

Billy

On casting rods my experimentation shows that the small guides will give a greater precentage increase in casting distance with mono than with braid.

And you are right braid casts extremely well. Another big advantage of the small guides is that you don't get nearly as many of those horrible braid "wind knots"

Hope this helps.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Date: January 29, 2008 01:33PM

More information first. Thin budget. I,ve heard that (answer[?]) too often. Thanks, Bobby, you posted while I was writing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2008 05:31PM by Ralph Jones.

Date: January 29, 2008 03:11PM

Bobby - I've been setting mine up (lightest line I use is 8# and heaviest is 15# flouro on baitcasters) with 10, 6 transition for spiral, 8, 7, and 6 the rest of the way with a 6 tip top. You saying you go 3.5 all the way?

Date: January 29, 2008 03:33PM

That is correct.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Date: January 29, 2008 03:43PM

The only problem I would have with that is no tip tops will allow smooth line flow from teh last guide to teh top. YOu might wanna share how you're doing that. MY conventional rods are all braid with longer Mono leaders so I need knot clearnace, but I would be interested in knowing if you use a guide as a tip, don't care, or modify a tip. Personally, I like the "docn't care" answer, becasue it probably doesnt' matter much. I ate my irritation with the spinning set up which the line doen angle a bt from teh last guide to teh tip.

Date: January 29, 2008 04:39PM

Billy

I modify a BFAT 4.5 (3.9) and you are probably right, nothing is perfect.

See six posts below for more information.

Thanks

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Date: January 29, 2008 05:07PM

How many guides are you using? I would think there would be some resistance where the line drops from the reel to the guides, but I guess that could be overcome with spacing.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2008 05:29PM

I too have found better casting distances with the micro guides. Although I'm not sure it’s from what Bobby suggested in an earlier post
Quote: “One of the big advantages of the small guides is that they prevent the line from "moving around", thus less line slap, thus more distance”

Or from the fact that removing so much weight off the rod with the micro guides, allows the rod to use more of the blanks energy towards casting the lure instead of moving the weight of the guides

Or a combation of both, in either case the results have be positive.

Alex;
If there is some resistance (and I'm not saying there is)
Then it has been less then the benefits I've found so far because in each case the results have been an improvement over what I've done in the past.

Now I have to qualify that my findings have been in building bass type rods. I can’t speak for the results in other rod categories. Some one else will have to tackle those.

Date: January 29, 2008 05:53PM

I just this minute ordered a dozen #4 Alconite BLAG guides from Custom Tackle Supply on the left. I needed to order a pair of blanks anyway, Rainforest RF2SP600, for a matching flyrod-spinning rod pair for a friend. So I'll find out about these guides for myself. I couldn't bring myself to go smaller.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2008 08:15PM

One thing about the smaller guide's is the line grab on the cast that the smaller guides create. From casting Steve's rods last yeat at the show, I ?think? this acts kinda like a fly rod throwing the line, and it gives you more control with it.

DR

Date: January 30, 2008 09:22AM

Well, I too am now going to be ordering a different set of guides for a rod I was about to build... not sure if I should say thanks for the ideas or thanks for getting me to spend more money. LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster