I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

what r the differences???
Posted by: marty.anders (---.176.72.24.cable.angl.cmaaccess.com)
Date: January 27, 2008 12:55AM

What is the difference between sewing thread and guide wrap string???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what r the differences???
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: January 27, 2008 01:12AM

A rod wrapping thread is high strength, very smooth nylon, machine thread is all over the place in quality, materials, smoothness, colorfastness, on and on. #40 Embroidery polyester thread with no silicone finish can at times be used for rod building. Madeira PolyNeon, Sulky metallics, and a few others I'm sure will be listed will work.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: January 27, 2008 03:20AM

Sewing machine thread has a sylicone finish added to the thread. This alows the thread to pass threw the needle without fraying or breaking. When using this type of thread as a wrap thread, the thread finish well orange peal or well not entirely cover the thread leaving open gaps in the finish. If you do use sewing machine thread, you must put a couple of coats of color presurver on the thread before using a thread finish. C/P well prevent gaps in the finish
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2008 09:54AM

The sewing thread also frays a lot if it is cotton.There are many types of thread for sewing.In a pinch you can use sewing thread if it is nilon or polyneon(Maderia brand) but it is not recomended.I experimented with Maderia on guide wraps and aws not happy with the result.It looked great but the guide moved a lot due to the silicone.
Bottom line is use rod wrapping thread for attaching guides,For decorative work the polyneon is fine as long as color preserver is used.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 27, 2008 10:16AM

Gudebrod makes/sells all kinds of thread Their nylon is also sold as a sewing thread and, personally, I doubt that there is any difference.
It's the material, not the company that makes it. Keep in mind that there are very few things actually made for rodbuilding. Most items are made for non-rodbuilding purposes

POLYESTER sewing thread is used by many builders (Madeira, Coats & Clark, Trilobel, Sulky, etc) with no problems whatsoever. Their are various threads that are sold for rodbuilding that are also sold in sewing stores.
Cotton, rayon and other materials usually cause problems because of the material, not because it's a sewing thread. Many (not all) sewing threads are coated to aid in machine use and should be used with CP or tested on scrap first. I always use CP, so that's not an issue.

Strength is a non issue also. #40 polyester thread is more than strong enough for rodbuilding

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 27, 2008 10:56AM

Mike I will have to agree with your post - but;

I think it is best for most new builders to start with products that are sold by vendors who supply rodbuilding specialty items; at least, until a builder is advanced to the point that other acceptable products can be used. Their initial work products will stand a much higher chance of success. People who get all hot and bothered about not waiting for products to arrive or the ones who are simply seeking something cheap can easily end up with the wrong stuff from places like Wally World and the local fabric store.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2008 03:11PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: marty.anders (---.176.72.24.cable.angl.cmaaccess.com)
Date: January 27, 2008 09:21PM

Thanks for the info. Found some nice looking colors at local sporting good . Made for guides. May work for now I guess you learn somthing every now and again.

Date: January 27, 2008 09:34PM

Bill,

I agree, but............. Many vendors sell Madiera, Sulky and others without mentioning that it's a sewing thread and should be used with CP, whuch I'm sure isn't very helpful to new builders when they don't use CP and wonder why the have fish eyes Like I said,other than components and lathes, I can't think of anything that wasn't used for other purpose before it was used in rodbuilding

I agree they need a little patience and should order from vendors who are familiar with what you are doing.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2008 10:11AM

OK Mike a test for you!

What was the original use and supplier of the "little white plastic curved and rounded thing-a-ma-jig" that is made for burnishing and packing thread?

Him }>

Date: January 30, 2008 12:45AM

It's burnishing tool for crafts such metal leafing, etc and it's sold in Michaels and other craft shops in a two pk

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2008 12:46AM by Mike Barkley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster