I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single foot guide as tip top - Another approach?
Posted by: armand flies (213.42.21.---)
Date: January 26, 2008 12:55AM

Hi people,

Been lurking for a while. I have been following various threads regarding using single foot guides as tip tops with interest. I think that this is a viable alternative to tube tops for fly rods. My problem with this approach is that to me it is not aesthetically very pleasing.

One thought I had was to epoxy or PG the foot of the guide into the tip of the blank, and then do whatever to the wrap outside to make the fitting conform to the rest of the rod. Since the guide foot will be completely hidden from view, one can scuff or even file teeth into it in order to keep it in there. The profile of the blank end will mean that the plug cannot pull out either. What do you guys think?

Another option (for blanks with very thin tips only, eg. GLoomis GLX fly) would be to wrap the rod tip on the WRONG side of the guide foot, so the guide foot sits on the othe side of the blank from the ring.

These thoughts are aimed at fly rods, and NOT for attaching the ultra small single foot guides as previously discussed. These would not work as the tip diameter would close down the ring opening.

I will be very interested to hear the thoughts from the brains on this board.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single foot guide as tip top - Another approach?
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2008 02:38AM

Hi Armand,
I am certainly no "brain" when it comes to the world of rodbuilding, but I just did a rebuild on a spinning rod, and used a single foot ceramic fly guide for my tip. I initially taped it on the "wrong" side of the rod, for aesthetic reasons. I didn't like the way that the line slapped the rod. Putting the tip on the "right" side eliminated the problem. I think you could use the wrong side approach, provided that the leg of the guide was long enough to keep the line off of the blank. A spinning guide, with its higher frame would probably work.
I was not crazy about the look of my tip after I finished it, but it's starting to grow on me. I appreciate the efficiency of using something that weighs less than a traditional top, and I'm amazed that I was able to get the thread wrap within 1/32 of the tip. With an 8 or 9 foot fly rod, you'll never notice it, until it's time to put the rod in the case, or you just want to show it to someone.
George

Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 26, 2008 08:58AM

you could wrap the tip normally, epoxy then use a dremel tool to carefully sand/cut/file away the pretruding part of the blank then epoxy over.
i dont know if it would work just off the top of my head

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 26, 2008 09:07AM

You can definitely use a guide for a tip top. We used them in emergencies, but soon adapted them for everyday use.

Just select a single foot guide of the proper size then wrap it onto the rod tip, apply your favorite guide wrap finish, and that's it..

Another way, described by Ken Preston, is to take a double footed guide anf bend one leg back under then wrap with thread.

These ''faux' tip tops are remarkably durable.. C2

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 26, 2008 10:41AM

Armand,

I now use single foot guides as tip tops routinely on all my fly rods.

I prefer this 'look', as it matches the rest of the guide wraps on the rod.

It is lighter and stronger than the tubed tip tops.

None of the fly rods I've built have an opening large enough in the end of the blank to accept the guide foot. I just do as Tom suggests, I carefully grind the tiny amount of blank left exposed to nice angle, and epoxy/finish over it.

Buddy

Posted by: armand flies (213.42.21.---)
Date: January 26, 2008 11:29AM

Dear all,

Thanks for your replies.

I am going to order a tip top AND extra single foot for my build, so at least I have options.

Armand

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster