I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Steelhead Casting Blank Guides
Posted by: Dave Damon (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 23, 2008 08:39PM

I just bought a couple of Batson's XST blanks for steelhead fishing. This is my first attempt at a casting rod, but I have a bunch of fly rods under my belt. I always build on the straight and not worry about the spine. The question I have is, do I place the guides on the inside curve or the outside curve of the blank. Appreciate any advice from you guys.
Thanks, Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steelhead Casting Blank Guides
Posted by: Tom White (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2008 09:03PM

Dave,
Just finished an XST1084F casting rod done as a spiral wrap. I would suggest putting the guides on the outside curve for a conventional wrap, and on the inside curve (on the tip end) for a spiral. You're going to like these blanks!
Tom White

Date: January 23, 2008 09:20PM

Thanks Tom. I'm a conventional type of guy. I've read a lot about the spiral wraps, but I'm going to leave it for you adventurous types. ;<) They are absolutely beautiful blanks. I bought mine from Schneiders Rod Shop. Great prices on Batson/Forecast products.
Dave

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 24, 2008 08:19AM

Dave be very careful in selecting the exact guides you intend to place on top of that blank. The blank is very fast and the use of some low profile single foot guides, such as the Fuji Alconite, will require an excessive number due to their short frame height.

Date: January 24, 2008 09:37AM

Bill,
I bought the Batson LTCUDUG guides. What others do you recommend?
Dave

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 24, 2008 10:12AM

LTCFUG06 guides up on the entire tip section will drop your tip weight quite a bit due the less guide, thread, finish up there.

Posted by: Dave Damon (216.110.0.---)
Date: January 24, 2008 10:30AM

That's what I bought for the tip section. I kept them to six, seven, eight, and the last is either a ten or twelve.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 24, 2008 10:49AM

Sounds like you've got it covered, I like spiral wraps as I can space the guides more like the fly rods you're used to and not because the line/guide height is becoming an issue like a top guided rod.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 24, 2008 11:15AM

The LTCUDUG and LTCFUG guide set up is very nice and was my go to set up. Here is another one that I have been using as of late with great success.

Rod Blank Model # XST1084
Butt cap: SBC20B
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: RG14A-350
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GTBTG16C-11.5-TC
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: WFG2.5 , WFGFC , WFGRC ,WFGPB
Winding Check: BWC10
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top XTCPPZT06R05.0
1st guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
2nd guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
3rd guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
4th guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
5th guide from tip top: XPTCFZG07
6th guide from tip top: XPTCFZG08
7th guide from tip top: XTCLXNZG08
8th guide from tip top: XTCLXNZG10
9th guide from tip top: XTCLXNZG10
10th guide from tip top: XTCLXNZG12
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 3.75-7.75-12.25-17.25-23.5-31-39-48-58.5-70.5

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 24, 2008 03:56PM

I'm sorta surprised that Karry made no mention of the ALPS guides. Light weight, SS316 and beautiful shape.

Posted by: Dave Damon (216.110.0.---)
Date: January 24, 2008 05:53PM

Karry, I know my brother is going to want the 8'6" one when I'm finished. I'm going to buy another 8'6" blank and I'll put one together by your specs.
That'll give me an 8'6" and a 9' 8-12lb to use on the Smith R. next year. I want to give those G.Loomis guys I fish with, a run for their money.
Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster