I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Table height
Posted by: Julio Pereira (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2008 04:30PM

I'm in the process of refinishing the shop and was also going to give the table I have set-up for rodbuilding an overhaul. I was wondering what table height are some of you taller guys most comfortable with? I', 6' 2" tall if that helps any. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Table height
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2008 05:43PM

About the best answer out there is what's the best height for YOU.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 22, 2008 05:45PM

My main table is 39" high and I usually stand while wrapping (I'm 6'). It is 36" x 80" and I have it positioned so that I can access all four sides. I have a buddy that comes over to build and he is about your height. He found my table a bit short until we blocked his wrapper up 3".

Chuck

(Back injury in 93)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2008 05:51PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: January 22, 2008 05:47PM

Julio....standard desk heigth is usually best [29-30" high] with a adjustable heigth chair....I am 6' 1" and I adjust my chair to my own desires.
If you are standing to wrap It is a mater of what you are comfortable with...myself I like to be about 12 inches above my work.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2008 05:54PM by fred schoenduby.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 22, 2008 09:20PM

We have a work table that we can sit at and a workbench that has our rod lathe for winding and grip work; we stand for that one.

Just soirt of depends on what we're doing at the time.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 22, 2008 09:41PM

At the height that you do not have to hunch over to see and work. No matter where you are sitting or standing a work surface at he wrong height and distance from the work object can cause you serious and back problems if you do a lot of rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2008 08:30AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2008 04:20PM

If you are sitting do the following:

1. Get an adjustable height chair.
2. Adjust the height of the chair, until you can sit with your body at 90 degrees for every part of your body.
3. i.e. feet flat on the floor. Your back tight to the back of the chair, 90 degrees from your lap to your back. Knees at 90 degrees to the lower limbs. Arms at a nice comfortable rest at your sides.
4. Now, get a temporary adjustable hight table or stand. Raise and lower the stand to support your wrapping equipment until you find the best height for you. i.e. perfect viewing. Perfect height for keeping your arms at a nice working angle with no back, eye, side, or arm strain. When, you figure all of this out - then install the work bench at this height. Most 5'10-6' find a table heigh tof about 30 inches is right, with a 5 inch rise on your wrapper.

If you are taller or shorter, or have long or short arms or torso, adjust accordingly.

------------
When standing, I find that for overall comfort - I like the work bench to click the top of my belt buckle. i.e at just the perfect height to be able to bend over the work bench if necessary.
Then, when wrapping - if you find that your wrapper is too low - build a stand to bring it to the necessary height. That way, the work bench will be fine for everything else.
However, if you have a dedicated narrow bench for wrapping and a wrapper of a specific height - adjust the installed height to work best for your particular height , arm length, arm length and vision needs.

Take care
REW

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster