I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Spacing vs. Casting Distance
Posted by: David L Cook (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 20, 2008 07:05PM

I am in the process of building a 6'6" Medium Fast action spinning rod on a St. Croix Avid blank. I have followed the New Concept Guide spacing per suggestions on this site and Tom's book. I have seen recommendations to perform both static and casting tests. I have done the static test and it looks good. I have also gone out and cast it a few times. It seemed to cast fine. How important is it to tweek the guide spacing and repeat the casting tests? How much real world difference will it make? Are we talking plus/minus a couple of feet or tens of feet? Given that I may be casting high density jigs to lower density crankbaits in all types of weather/wind would it be a big deal to just rely on the New Concept spacing, static test and a "seems to cast okay" test?

What about on a casting rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Spacing vs. Casting Distance
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 20, 2008 08:03PM

If you set it up per the instructions on this site in the online library, or better yet, the more up to date instructions given in the recent issue of RodMaker, tweaking will gain you little to no extra distance as you'll be just about on the money right off the bat.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 20, 2008 08:05PM

David, on my casting test I check for line hang ups or something not right with the casting, to "small guide" that sort of thing. As far as tweaking the guides to get maximum casting distance you need two people and a high speed camera. If it cast's well about the same distance as other rods you have built or store bought ones then I would say the casting test is successful and any further tweaking, unless you see something specific, is good enough. Others will disagree and there could be a lot of debate about this subject, so when others chime in read and try to learn their point of veiw, no matter what happens here I hope you learn from it.
As far as which kind of rod, spinner or bait, all applies the same.

Posted by: Lee Muschler (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: January 20, 2008 08:27PM

I have spent hours moving guides around and test casting to try and get maximum distance. At most, I could get a extra couple of feet between best and worst setup, but even that was suspect as the variance between casts with the same guide spacing was anywhere from 0 to 7 or 8 feet. It is hard to make 10 or more casts exactly the same in order to get a good average that you can then compare to another guide setup you have made 10 or more casts with. My current theory is that if the guides are spaced per your desires and it casts good (subjective I know), then it it ready. Line size/type and the lure itself seem to me to have a much larger influence on casting distance.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 20, 2008 11:06PM

I'm with Lee on this one. I have played with very different guide sizes-types-placement. Very little real world difference. Drop one line size and you will see a difference. On the rod you are talking about it's probably rated for 6-12# line. Cast a 1/4 oz jig with 12# line, then cast it with 6# or 8#, huge difference. Play with guide spacing and sizing all day long, and you'll be scratching your head really trying to see a difference.

Don't loose too much sleep on this one.

Marc

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 21, 2008 01:28AM

We test the distance with various guide sizes and placements, after we get the initial layour where we want it. After all, the guides aren't wrapped, just taped to the rod, so we take a schematic of the initial layout and then fool with it a bit. What we're after is to maximize casting distance and minimize any interference with the optimal line flow. It doesn't matter is it's a spinning rod or a casting rod. We do itone or twice, someimtes three times, but it only takes a little time to do and then we be assured that for that blank and guide set, we've got the mostwe can out of it.

The whole idea of custom building is to maximize the performance of the rod. If you don't take a little extra time to mess with it, you're leaving out one of the testing steps. If you're gonna do that, then why test it at all other than static tests and the like?

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2008 07:48AM

I'm with Russ on this 100%, and I don't use two people and a high speed camera. I use an established casting range with bench marks at each end So I have a consistent standing point then after the cast walk down to the other end see were I have landed. Reel it in, make adjustment and cast back the other way.

I’m also looking for line slap on spinning rods and adjust my guides to eliminate it as well.

I use the same weight 1/4 oz. for all my tests that way over a period of time I have gained a general idea of how far certain blanks/rods should be able to cast. Then if I have one that does not cast as well or far? I will spend more time making adjustments to get the results I'm looking for.
And on occasion when I find one that outcasts what is normal. I figure out what I have done to get those result sand attempt to get the same in future rods.

Posted by: Chase Foster (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2008 05:47PM

How do you guys guarantee that your release point and force for each cast are the same? I would think that would affect your casting distance a heck of a lot, and unless you are using a calibrated robot to cast, no 2 casts can be exactly the same. Not trying to be funny, just want to know what methods you use to be sure each cast is exactly the same.

Chase Foster
American Tackle
www.americantackle.us

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2008 05:49PM by Chase Foster.

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: January 21, 2008 07:06PM

I would have to echo Chase's question. There has to be a point that says you have done all you can do. My next question would be how much do you charge for all the tuning that your doing? Is the customer involved in the casting?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2008 08:02PM

I have never broken the "cost of tuning" out from what I charge as a separate cost, it's just part of the construction process.
No I do not involve customers in the casting. I don't know what their casting skill level is. I know what mine is and that is the standard I use.

An experienced target shooter, or hunter knows most of the time when he has made a good before it even hits the target. Same with Base ball most of the time you know when you've connected with the ball and it out of there.

the same with casting when you've made thousands of cast you know when it's right or off. some cast will be a little further or closer yes So I use multiple casts to with each rod in each guide placement before making adjustments, Part of that casting is also to familiarize myself with the rod before deciding what to adjust.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2008 08:03PM by Steve Gardner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster