I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jet Mini - 3/8" Drill Through
Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2008 11:30AM

I considering the purchase of a 14" Jet Mini. The headstock and tailstock both have a 3/8" passthrough for center boring the stock. I'm thinking of turning foam core blocks molded in 1-1/2" pvc and center boring them rather than trying to center the hole when I pour them. Does this make sence? If so, how could I arbor the 3/8" pass through to use a hand drill with 1/4" bit without wobbel?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jet Mini - 3/8" Drill Through
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 19, 2008 01:09PM

I use a Turncrafter Pro which is pretty much the same lathe as the Jet (different color) It would be a LOT faster and easier to pour with a rod in the mold than bore it later. The 3/8" "pass through" is just the maximum size drill/mandrel that will go all the way through. To bore, chuck the piece of stock into the lathe (4 jaw chuck) and use a jacobs chuck in the tail stock with a long 1/4 bit and drill that way.. If you're going to do any kind of grip work, I would highly recommend that you get the bed extension. You should get plenty of suggestions, feel free to e-mail me anytime.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 19, 2008 01:38PM

When I make lamps I use one of these [www.packardwoodworks.com] But thinking foam you may think of a piece of steel tube - brake line? sharpened around one end and push it though? or cut 1" off the end of a drill and epoxy it in the I.D. of the tube. The drill will start the cut and cuttings will flow out the tube? Just Thinking here? Jay

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2008 05:21PM

Jay, your tube idea sounds interresting but I'm sure I'd mess it up :) Perhaps something along the line of a pilot tube that will fit the 3/8 pass through and have its own pass through that will fit the drill bit and keep it aligned? hmmmm

Mike, your description sounds like you're using the tailstock like a horizontal drillpress? The four jaw chuck, on one end only, will hold the handle steady enough? If so then all I'd need is the bed extension and proper chucks. This sounds like the simplest method.

I will try pouring with a rod in the mold again. I managed to make a shaped mold that works well except for the center rod part. I've got one core with a rod permenently bonded in it; a section of a busted rod blank that I coated with the Stoner but the foam found its way into the blank through whatever tiny cracks there were. I've got another that worked but it's off center and I'll need to turn it anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster