I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drop Shot: Batson vs CTS ?
Posted by: Richard Chappel (---.cleveland.apk.net)
Date: January 18, 2008 08:34AM

Does anyone have an opnion ? Fishing Lake Erie for smallmouth and the occasional walleye.
Thanks for all....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drop Shot: Batson vs CTS ?
Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.crarc.org)
Date: January 18, 2008 10:54AM

My opinion is that I would build a Batson RX7 822.5 and 802.75 for the same price as one CTS and I would have excellent dropshot rods for lighter and heavier weights. My rods wouldn't look as cool as some of the CTS colored blanks though. RX8+ blanks are fantastic and expensive and I haven't built on a high end CTS yet.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 18, 2008 11:29AM

If blank weight is a concern I think the CTS blanks are quite a bit lighter. Really have enjoyed fishing the CTS products and so have my customers. The Batson RX8+ 822.5 blank I built is every bit, if not heavier, than the RX7 blank was. The blank diameters between the Rainshadow blanks were quite different and I think it may explain some of the weight in the RX8+.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 18, 2008 12:16PM

A couple of set ups one with LTC and Blue ring F and Vs guides and the other with Black and Gold ring VS3 guides.

Rod Blank Model # ISB822.5
Butt cap: SBC20B
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: RG9A-345
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GSTG17C-TC
Reel Seat Shim SHIM/17/SPIN
Foregrip: FG25A-250
Winding Check: BWC10
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top LTCPUT06R05.0
1st guide from tip top LTCFUG06
2nd guide from tip top LTCFUG06
3rd guide from tip top LTCFUG07
4th guide from tip top LTCFUG08
5th guide from tip top: LTCFUG10
6th guide from tip top: LTCVSUG16
7th guide from tip top: LTCVSUG30
8th guide from tip top:
9th guide from tip top:
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 4.5-9.5-15-21-28-36-45
Butt wrap length
Tip wrap length
Main Thread Color 088-111-*0245
Trim Thread Color TRIM WITH METALIC BLUE IF YOU WANT
Wrap Instructions:

Description:
Rod Blank Model # RX8+S822.5
Butt cap: ccbc20
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: rg9a-345
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: BPSTG16 & BPSTG16C-SN-TC (Pipe seat)
Reel Seat Shim shim16 spin
Foregrip:
Winding Check:
Hookeeper: ghks
Tip Top BPNT06f04.5
1st guide from tip top bvs3tng06
2nd guide from tip top bvs3tng06
3rd guide from tip top bvs3tng07
4th guide from tip top bvs3tng08
5th guide from tip top: bvs3tng10
6th guide from tip top: bvs3tng16
7th guide from tip top: bvs3tng25
8th guide from tip top:
9th guide from tip top:
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 4.5-9.5-15-21-28-36-45

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.crarc.org)
Date: January 18, 2008 01:00PM

Spencer - you didn't by chance weigh a CTS EBT 813 or 812, did you? I would love to know how much those blanks weigh. At least on paper they look comparable to the 802.75 and 822.5. I thought most of the CTS blanks were weighing in kind of heavy because they were built more durably than our common bass blanks. Actually, if you have weighed any of the CTS blanks, would you be willing to share please?

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 18, 2008 01:14PM

Hi Richard. I just recently got my hands on an 822.5 but havent had time to build it. I can tell you I am excited to get it done. I do a lot of drop shotting for bass and this puppy feels the best of anything I have felt so far for this purpose. I dont know much about CTS vs Batson in the weight department. I have recently been impressed with the Rainshadow Blanks. One of the most impressive things I find is their straightness. Every one I have gotten my hands on so far is as straight as I have ever seen in blanks so light. I now have 4 new ones to build and wish I could just stop everything and get them done now. Luckily I have a little time before the spring bite starts. Anyway I dont think you would be dissappointed in the 822.5 for drop shotting Walleye.

Posted by: Sean Walker (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 18, 2008 02:32PM

I love cts blanks. I've not built on a batson blank, so I couldn't say anything about them. All of the rods I've built on cts blanks weigh under 4 oz. And that's up to 7 feet worm rods.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2008 06:01PM

I have built drop shot rods on both brands. In fact I had the privilege of having the CTS prototype dropshot blank to build with.

Both of them are awesome rods.

Batson RX8+ blank. Is perfect for drop shotting, I have yet to find a blank I like better. Light, sensitive, responsive, perfect tip to flex action with enough back bone to get the job done!

The CTS (or at least the prototype) –Elite 1 pc. 6’10” 2-6 kg. blank.
I personally found to be a little stiff for drop shotting. I have used it for the past year as a shaky head rod, and far as I’m concerned it is best bank to date I have used for that purpose. I won more money off that rod last year then any other rod I own.

It is my understanding that the final model CTS has gone with is a bit lighter then the prototype, but I have not used it. As happy as I have been with the Batsons, combined with how long it’s been taking to get CTS blanks. I’ve not seen the need to switch.

I am presently building another shaky head rod on the Batson RX8+S823 blank so I can compare the two. So far any Batson RX8+ blank I’ve built on has been nothing less than phenomenal.

This is my opinion others may feel differently

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2008 06:03PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.eos.net)
Date: January 18, 2008 11:26PM

I too have only built on the CTS (no drop shot ) blanks and not the Batson's. The spinning rods (and fly) I've built on CTS blanks are the best rods I've fished to this point in my life. The blanks are straight and beautiful. Very light, sensitive, and yet powerful. I do think the CTS blanks are lighter than any other rods on the market due to their technology. Others make claims. But, none can match it. You won't be disappointed.
Todd

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: January 18, 2008 11:48PM

So far I've only built on the CTS EBT 842s and 843s. The 842s would do a decent job dropshotting, action much like the Loomis/Shikari P7000s. The EBT 843s have all been 3 piece travel rods for AK that have been used on big trout, steelhead and silver salmon.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 19, 2008 01:52PM

Any thoughts on Karry's guide spacing for the RX8+S822.5 as I have one more blank sitting here waiting to be wrapped for spring. Jay

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2008 02:31PM

Karry does much personal building/fishing with the rods they make.
All of his suggestions are solid.
Also per Karry's own words only meant to be "starting points", not set in stone as each blank may have slightly different characteristics that require adjusting guides somewhat one direction or another.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: January 20, 2008 10:29PM

Jay,
Karry's suggested starting points are on their website top right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster