I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Halib ut Salt water rod blank??
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 09:39PM

A new requirement for a Halibet Salt Water rod blank.
The client expects to be catching an average size Halibut of about 50 lbs.
He will be running a two speed reel - salt water heavy duty - spooled with 100 lb line.
He is asking for roller tips and first roller.

Any thoughts on specific blanks or roller guides for such a rod?

Thanks much
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Halib ut Salt water rod blank??
Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: January 16, 2008 09:53PM

Seeker makes rods that are pretty much spot-on for the purpose. In that target weight, PacBay also makes some very strong rods that we use here on the Outer Banks for cobia and grouper.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 10:46PM

Roger,

The 127 & 135lb Halibut in this photo --> [] were taken on a $30 Forecast FSU56XH (50-80lb) blank with All American Roller Guides on 100lb line.

Depending on the waters that your customer is fishing, he may need something different. A Calstar BT6455H (30-80lb) is a very popular blank for that application. It's quite a bit softer in the tip than the Forecast, but has every bit of the backbone, and can be a lot more fun on the smaller fish. Same for a 6455H Seeker, but it's even softer than the Calstar and I'd question if it has as much backbone.

Need more info to really nail down a recommendation.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: January 16, 2008 11:28PM

Mark,
Thanks for the specifics.
Roger

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: January 17, 2008 11:56AM

I use the TS66MH for big Butts!

Mr. Don Morton was nice enough to build me one up many years ago and its still kicking hali Butt.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: January 17, 2008 03:36PM

Hi Roger,

Saw your post and wanted to give a couple more options. Shorter rods are fine but I prefer more length so I am going to suggest some 6' and 6' 6" models.

A lot depends on where or how your guy is going to fish but for the average size fish in not super deep water I like the following
AXGC60H 6' 30-60# line 9.5 top
AXGC66H 6'6" 30-60# line 9.5 top
They are graphite composite composition fast action blanks that are extremely durable with a lifetime warranty. (obviously not your basic economy blanks)

Also, new this year and soon to be in stock, is the ultimate in creative design our new "VIPER" series blanks.
AVGC60XH 6' 50-80# line 12 top - for the heavywight applcations
AVGC66H 6' 6" 30-50# line 10 top
In the tradition of innovation American Tackle is known for, these blanks are truly different from anything else available. They have an aluminum powder coated Texalium twill material incorporated into a graphite composite construction blank. Super high end product without a high end price. Available in an electric blue and silver metallic finish they have no cosmetic comparison. Their beauty is only matched by their performance which will allow a fast action blank to load in the tip with tremendous power reserves in the butt for heavy lifting. Offered with a life time warranty.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: January 17, 2008 05:19PM

Roger,
From both a blank and finished rod stand point we sell far more 5'6" & 6'0" models than all the others combined.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: January 17, 2008 07:10PM

As you know Alaska is the Jurasic Park for Halibut. I have used the Batson TS66MH too. You can never go wrong with Forecast/Rainshadow products-they are truly the best bang for your buck no matter what you compare them to.

Tight Lines

Date: January 20, 2008 11:48AM

Thanks for all of the updates.
I will consider them all carefully.
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster