I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

variation on spiral wrap
Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: January 16, 2008 12:45PM

my understanding is that the standard spiral wrap usually follows the 0-60-120-180 pattern. buy why not 0-45-90-135-180? has this been done? seems to me like it would produce softer "turns". i want to experiment with this after i get my first wrapper in (which i'm ordering this week.). any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: variation on spiral wrap
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 01:05PM

Well, the 45 degree guide will bring the line off the side of the blank to where it will feed the 135 w/o rubbing the blank, so the 90 isn't really needed IMO. Your extra guide (90) is getting close to an "O'Quinn" spiral. Do a search here on the O'Quinn spiral and you'll find more reading.

We've got a handy Degree Wheel on our site that's a free download to use for setting your guides up. Yo can find it and instructions for use by clicking this link --> []

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2008 01:50PM

Why have any turns at all? Just let the line go where it wants to go, a guide at 0 and another at 180. If you need to keep the line off the side of the blank put on inbetween those two at 90, but do not respace the 0 and 180.

Do search on the "Simple Spiral" for something you may really like.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2008 02:01PM

Lance;
There are several different versions, with guides at different locations.
What Mr. Kirkman suggests is an excellent method even though I do mine differently.
You might try experimenting with each to find out what works best for you.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 03:19PM

Put the transition guides on and tighten the line. The line will pull the guides into the correct position.

Don't get hooked into fixed transition angles. C2

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 16, 2008 03:53PM

Simple spiral is quick, easy and works great!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: January 16, 2008 04:17PM

thanks for the input guys. mark, great tool!

tom, what you said makes sense to me. i guess being a newbie i'm full of newbie questions. my initial thought was that softer turns would help castability.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 04:18PM

The simple spiral is very effective! Works great, however, plan on using smaller guides than you originally thought. Or, at least plan on putting the transition guide ring as close as possible to the blank. At some point in the not to distant future I suspect some clever manufacturer is going to offer a "transition specific" guide for spiral wraps that puts the ring almost on the blank itself.
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 16, 2008 04:58PM

Hunter Armstrong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
At some point in the not to distant
future I suspect some clever manufacturer is going
to offer a "transition specific" guide for spiral
wraps that puts the ring almost on the blank
itself.

Or they could just rename the BLAG-6.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: January 16, 2008 08:49PM

The "simple spiral" if done correctly has NO transition guide(s)

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: January 16, 2008 09:57PM

If you want to keep the line off the rod, use a ceramic ring where the line on a Simple Spiral crosses the rod, sized to fit the rod and provide a "bumper".

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 10:13PM

The only problem I've found with the ring is depending on the flex of the rod the location of the ring changes. At least in my playing with it. Maybe two rings would work, but a guide placed between the butt guide and the first 180 works without a flaw.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 11:48PM

What do you guys think of a this brass or aluminum sleeve at this point? It could be fit over an underwrap to cushion it and have the ends finsihed with thread for asthetics.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2008 11:58PM

I think you will find those metals too soft and that they will start to grove after a while causing problems with your line

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2008 08:54AM

Since the Bumper guide works so well, many of these other attempts to keep the line from rubbing the blank really confound me. We're not having any problem with the bumper as a guide, so what is it we're trying to "fix?"

I ran the gamut of all sorts of ideas when trying to keep the line off the blank. I tried steel, rings over the blank, thick coats of PermaGloss on the blank and finally arrived at just putting a low frame guide there to do the job. Bingo, that did it just fine. At that point, my search was over.

I have seen many rods from builders who tell me they're using the Simple Spiral and yet when I see their guide placement it becomes obvious that what they actually have is the old single 90 degree transition guide. Not at all the same thing, although it does tend to work okay.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 17, 2008 06:06PM

The simple spiral method turns out to be the most straightforward and easiest method of spiral wrapping. No taking the line around the blank, you just let it go to the bottom of the blank like it would do naturally if you didn't force it to stay up on top. And it just plains works!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster