I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I'm beginning to wish....
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: January 16, 2008 10:21AM

That foam grips were never invented. This forum is beginning to turn into Foambuilding.org

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm beginning to wish....
Posted by: David Wyatt (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 10:59AM

I'm thankful that others are willing to share their knowledge on this subject. I think it's one of the more innovative and high tech improvements in rod building in years. It's method is fairly easy especially for builders like me that don't build a lot of rods a year and i can create something that's right out of or ahead of the latest catalog. I personally hope information of this kinds keeps coming and lots of it.

Regards,

Dave

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 16, 2008 12:10PM

Love it!!!!! Keep the ideas coming!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: January 16, 2008 12:31PM

foambuilding.org..........lol

Date: January 16, 2008 12:38PM

Sometimes there is ideas and other times it's like beating a dead horse.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 16, 2008 12:59PM

The whole point of this forum is to exchange ideas/info and help others. Just ignore posts that you're not interested in.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 01:40PM

It will only last until the next issue of RM comes out.............then there will be tons of posts on whatever funky new technique is in that issue. LOL

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2008 02:01PM

Right, if you're not interested in a technique, don't bother reading posts related to it. There are still plenty of other topics going on that might interest you.

No offense, but against what you're paying to use this site, you're not really out anything if a lot of posts regarding the foam core and carbon skinned grips continue to show up. I expect they will, so brace yourself.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2008 02:04PM

Scott;
I suggest taking Mike's, and Tom's.
True you might be tired of reading this stuff, but there are plenty of other people still trying to figure it out

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: January 16, 2008 02:54PM

Heck - it PALES in comparison to the neverending Holo-wrap posts!!! And how many "my NGC can't be right, the choke guide is located past the tip of the rod" threads have there been?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 03:02PM

Yikes - spine, holo wrap, concept guide, guide prep, color preserver, level finsih, tape or arbors, thread color, resonate frequency, pennies in a bag, mess on the shirt, simple spiral, level rods, describing the mob at High Point - - - foam pouring was a blessing!

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 03:27PM

Get a grip! Here's another to add to the misery.

Make batches of different colors. Yes it can be colored. Just add color to Part B.

Then slice the cylinders into rings and use to make alternating colored band grips.

Date: January 16, 2008 03:30PM

I just did a search for "foam" last 30 days 9 pages 266 posts plus the RM article. But I do apologize for offending those "still trying to figure it out".

OOOOOH look a new spiral wrap question, remember those days

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.hba.bmx.wholesalebroadband.com.au)
Date: January 16, 2008 09:05PM

I check out this site most days.
There is heaps of stuff not relevant to us here in Australia and products we are not likely to see for a long time.

But I enjoy all the posts. There is always something to learn or make you think about.

If there is a subject of no interest or not relevant I skipp it.

This is a great site with lots to share from many good people.

Enjoy what you have I think.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: January 17, 2008 09:59AM

I'm the moron who asked, about a month ago, how slick the carbon fiber/foam grips are when wet. Then something came to me: why not flock them? What I'm going to try is to use something like sand: small-granuled flocking material that will not hurt your hand, but will give you that little bit of extra grit to hold onto when the grip is wet.

I mention this as an illustration into the many, many variations one can make of the foam core grips. This is the biggest new thing I've seen in my four years building rods, and one that is going to be around for a long time. There's a reason guys are excited about this, and asking a lot of questions.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2008 10:14AM

Chris; You might want to rethink using sand, I think you will find after a few hours of fishing it may make your hands sore by wearing down your outer skin layers.

You might try this first. Take a piece of sand paper of what ever grit you are thinking about flocking with, tape it onto a rod handle and try fishing it for a while.

That way you can see if you get those results before investing the time into the handle and being dissatisfied.

You might find it’s exactly what you’re looking for. But it’s also worth testing first.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: January 17, 2008 10:28AM

Thanks, Steve. But I think I'm going to try it. I like to go off on tangents, and do this kind of madcap experimentation. I'll probably end up with a grip that's too rough and useless, but it'll be fun trying. And for what it's worth, I wasn't thinking of a grip with anything like the texture of sandpaper. I was thinking of the lightest, thinnest dusting of sand on the grip -- sort of like the thinnest sprinkling of fairy dust -- just to give the grip a tiny smidgen of stick-to-your-hand-ness.

One of the benefits of these foam grips, by the way, is that they're cheap enough to try this kind of stuff. I couldn't bear to bring myself to try something like this with cork - it's too expensive. But you can do all kinds of fun stuff with these grips so economically that you can go off on wild tangents, even if you think beforehand that you're likely to fail. This is the way that lots of good new stuff is discovered.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2008 11:39AM

They're no slicker than a hammer handle. Have you ever used a hammer? Have any trouble holding onto it?

Not trying to be smart at anyone's expense, but the ergonomics of shape have a great deal more to do with how easy or difficult it is to hang onto something than the slickness or smoothness of the surface does.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 17, 2008 05:30PM

Some of us use or have used slick wood handles with no problems. I have a friend that does all of his rods with wood handles finished with Flex Coat. He has no problems with slipping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2008 08:04PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: January 18, 2008 08:09AM

I have to agree with Scott but to each his own. I am a bit behind the power curve on advancing my rodmaking skills as I still need to get a lathe to start producing custom handles. I am not sure I will ever evolve to the foam grip stage but it is nice to see the open sharing of info.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster